Show Of Hands January 14th, 2013 12:00am

Will Amazon (currently about $50 billion in sales) ever be bigger than Walmart (currently about $450 billion in sales)?

optimist6 Fort Wayne, IN
01/20/13 12:11 pm

Haha! I have an amazon ad at the bottom of my screen!!!

OU812 Nebraska
01/19/13 11:01 pm

Although neither a full set of teeth or personal hygiene are required to shop at either company, Amazon doesn't accept food stamps, social security checks or pocket fills of pennies so they won't overtake Wal-Mart's sales

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
01/19/13 9:23 pm

The gap will close over the next few years, but I don't see Amazon overtaking Walmart anytime in the next 10 years or so.

showoffhands
01/19/13 6:56 pm

Whats all the hype about poor treatment of Walmart employees? Every time I go I see 15 employees standing doing nothing. They have the easiest job ever! Year after year it's always the same employees. They don't leave for a reason. It must not be that bad. They should stop complaining & get to work.

showoffhands
01/19/13 6:45 pm

It will depend on Walmart's ability to transition to online sales over the next 30 years. Those big stores are expensive! Look at sears, Kmart, circuit city, best buy, etc.... Will Walmart and target be next??

GrlNextDoor666
01/19/13 12:35 pm

I wish. Walmart (walfart) is compete crap. They treat they're employees like crap and are complete money whores. I will never ever shop there. Don't even get me started on the mindless, low class white and black, fat trash that shops there

bpuhnk South Carolina
01/18/13 10:56 pm

I agree, if Amazon ever puts down brick and mortar they have a chance; however, they would have to keep the same low prices which I don't think they could do because of overhead.

md74
01/18/13 7:46 pm

If Amazon grows at 18% annually for the next 19 years and Walmart grows at 5% Amazon will eventually be bigger.

moderndoubt
01/16/13 6:24 pm

F Walmart. Target is awesome. But Amazon is better then both. I can order any thing I want when ever I want and it's on my door the next day. Mega selection. More then any store EVER!

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/16/13 7:58 am

I wish I could drive or had access to public transportation. .it would be bye bye Wal-Mart. .its a business killer., and it takes forever to check out, bad customer service. plus I've found some of their items, cheaper at other stores.,

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/15/13 9:39 pm

Walmart also released today: "Beginning Memorial Day, Walmart will offer a job to any honorably discharged veteran within his/her first 12 months off active duty. Not every returning veteran wants to work in retail, but every veteran who does will have a place to go."

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/15/13 9:36 pm

Walmart just announced today they will source an additional $50 billion in U.S. products over the next 10 years. Together, Walmart and Sam’s Club will increase purchases in categories that they already buy here and help on-shore U.S. production in new, high potential areas.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/15/13 9:33 pm

Sorry, this was a reply to someone's previous post.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/15/13 9:32 pm

If Walmart "goes under", then the price of goods will skyrocket. Walmart holds vendors accountable to be price conscious. This can be seen in their efforts to reduce packaging and waste. Walmart forces lower prices for the customer through this strategy. Be prepared to pay $7 for a block of cheese.

BlackBenz Northwest Arkansas
01/15/13 9:31 pm

@Blockhippie: If Walmart "goes under", then the price of goods will skyrocket. Walmart holds vendors accountable to be price conscious. This can be seen in their efforts to reduce packaging and waste. Walmart forces lower prices through this strategy. Be prepared to pay $7 for a 4oz block of cheese.

jeffro02
01/15/13 8:53 pm

The problem with amazon is that it is really easy to shop at other online retailers at the same time to find cheaper prices. With Walmart, it is tough to price compare while you are in the store. Plus, splurging is much more likely when you see an item in person.

max69power Florida
01/15/13 7:26 pm

It may be soon since Amazon is rolling out same day delivery in some city's. I refuse to spend any of my money with Walmart the way they treat there employees and there customers. I know about the employees part through my brother in law and I have shopped there. Target has better service by far

max69power Florida
01/15/13 7:20 pm

very true and Amazon has much better customer service

staygolden
01/15/13 5:44 pm

Things are way cheaper on amazon plus no long lines :D

dustyred14
01/15/13 3:49 pm

Amazon can ship you that loaf of bread faster than checkout at Walmart can get you through the line.

dustyred14
01/15/13 3:47 pm

Don't worry cheeseontop. I thought it was LAWL-worthy too

dustyred14
01/15/13 3:45 pm

Same thing we're doing now... Using the Internet? The Internet already took over.

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 7:03 am

Walmart sells alcohol? I never knew that.

EarlyBird Portland
01/15/13 7:00 am

As long as there are poor people, there will be Walmart.

satiricalnick meh
01/15/13 12:44 am

I thought you meant panama hats.

coels00 Kentucky
01/14/13 10:35 pm

dang....meant pajamas

coels00 Kentucky
01/14/13 10:33 pm

They're both stores people can shop at while wearing panamas.

Justin-Hale The A
01/14/13 10:25 pm

I'd rather wack off with anti freeze than spend money at wal mart

whyimrite
01/14/13 9:46 pm

when walmsrt gets so ghetto people don't shop there anymore

aph514
01/14/13 9:39 pm

I read amazon is making a move to open more distribution centers to offer same day delivery. They'll have to begin charging sales tax at some of the new centers.

rachelcava26
01/14/13 9:37 pm

You replayed to your own comment? Lame. (Just like your love life).

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 8:35 pm

No problem, BlackBenz! No offense taken, but thank you for being so considerate.

kut17
01/14/13 7:59 pm

Mom and pop stores usually can't afford to be paying their employees high salaries. Walmart isn't as unfair as they're perceived. Also, there is usually a net gain in jobs since small businesses have a small work force. Also, Walmart attracts more businesses to an area when they're built.

Theshamwowguy Pittsburgh, PA
01/14/13 7:52 pm

If they had actual stores they probably would eventually

veritas1 Panda
01/14/13 7:46 pm

@ilikepi. How does paying off the gov fit into your capitalism?

What you see as "innovation" I see as a flaw of capitalism, is this is indeed what it is: coercion, price gouging, and un-conducive to competition.
God forbid this "capitalism" isn't perfect. *Gasp.*

allstarmidget
01/14/13 7:28 pm

you america need to know the facts

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
01/14/13 7:23 pm

Not amazon itself but maybe some website in the future

ilikepi Somewhere near Japan
01/14/13 7:23 pm

Capitalism if you don't like the conditions don't work there if you dont like the prices don't shop there. I think it helps small businesses by forcing them to provide a product Walmart can't, that's called innovation.

Happy Hong Kong
01/14/13 7:19 pm

Amazon is testing same-day delivery.

Happy Hong Kong
01/14/13 7:18 pm

Walmart didn't do groceries until 1988 (26 years after the business was founded).

captnate
01/14/13 7:16 pm

Wow. Surprised it wasn't already bigger and more surprised its that far behind. Wal Mart accounts for more economic activity than most countries do individually though, so may be a while I guess.

Happy Hong Kong
01/14/13 7:09 pm

They sell wine, beer & spirits in California.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/14/13 6:30 pm

Walmart forces all the mom and pop stores closed when they enter a community. It actually usually results in a net job loss.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
01/14/13 6:18 pm

I think Walmart's due for some trust-busting. I think (hope?) we'll see that in a few years.

vstorm
01/14/13 6:18 pm

Amazon no booze...big money maker and groceries

jinger New York City
01/14/13 6:09 pm

The Internet is taking over!!!! What will we do?

veritas1 Panda
01/14/13 6:02 pm

If it happens, I hope it's more due to the fact that Walmart decreases in size as a result of their unfair treatment and pay of workers, rampant corruption, bribery of government officials, price gouging, the detrimental effect they have in small businesses, their being a barrier to market entry,etc