drunk November 19th, 2014 3:58pm

"Whether or not global climate change is human caused/accelerated is irrelevant; the fact remains that it's a big problem for us and future life on Earth and we all need to work together now to determine a sustainable solution(s)."

cheeseontop FactsOverFeelings
11/19/14 7:00 pm

It does matter. We could either be wasting a lot of time or effort into it, or be feeding it.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/19/14 6:55 pm

So true, it's sad how many people don't think we should try to make the world just a little bit cleaner.

DamageInc California
11/19/14 11:47 pm

I have no problem with trying to make the earth cleaner. Just don't make up lies to sell your goods.

slickspin Heart of Texas
11/19/14 6:55 pm

There is no "solution". There is no way we can change what the climate is doing.

DamageInc California
11/19/14 4:24 pm

That's the problem with man; we always want to play god, as if we can change anything and everything.

fredd TrumpLand
11/19/14 3:53 pm

True, it will definitely be a big problem. But the argument on human impact does matter because it implies we can do something about it.

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/19/14 2:45 pm

It is not a problem and the people with the solutions are crooks and frauds that are lining their own pockets and holding back progress by unnecessarily driving up costs so people and businesses cannot afford to invest in more efficient equipment.

dfish at home
11/19/14 2:50 pm

"Solutions"

think4yourself Not a safe space
11/19/14 3:06 pm

True. Although they label them as "solutions", they are far from it.

dfish at home
11/19/14 3:17 pm

Exactly my point :)

Diogenes FreeMeBe
11/19/14 2:31 pm

Disagree. Mother Earth will maintain its homeostasis with or without us. All our efforts could be for naught in a single catastrophic event. We can move away from fossil fuels only when the fossils in control finally die.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
11/19/14 2:13 pm

I partially agree. Climate change is a naturally occurring event that is well known throughout earth's history. I believe that we must be able to adapt to that, but I don't believe theirs much (if anything) we can do to change it.

11/19/14 2:51 pm

We can't just "adapt". The atmospheric composition has to be just so in order for current lifeforms to survive. When the composition of the atmosphere changes, it's catastrophic. For example the quaternary extinction event following the ice ages, in

11/19/14 3:01 pm

which 90% of the world's existing mammals went extinct. Lucky for us, our early Homo ancestors were part of the surviving 10%. But we can't be so sure we will survive another extinction event caused by climate change.

11/19/14 3:07 pm

All we can really do about it is to apply our modern understanding of climatology and do the best we can to mitigate the rate/magnitude of climate change. Reforestation, reducing GHG emissions, carbon sequestration, etc. Whether or not we caused it

11/19/14 3:09 pm

doesn't matter. What's done is done. But we CAN mitigate it and sort of "play god" with our atmosphere in the interest of preserving biodiversity (including our species).

11/19/14 3:11 pm

The only thing keeping us from doing this is the fact that not everybody understands what's going on and is committed to saving the human race no matter the cost. It's all just politics. Politics always fuck us in the end.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
11/19/14 3:17 pm

I will clarify that I do support cleaner emissions and less pollution. As far as our current state of species, extinctions, and whatnot, why be too concerned? Something like 99% of all species that have ever lived are extinct. Most before humans...

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
11/19/14 3:20 pm

...came around. The earth has experienced widespread and smaller scale extinctions and climate changes over the course of millions of years and yet life has continued to survive and flourish. If life can continue after asteroid impacts, I'm...

11/19/14 3:20 pm

The attitude people tend to have of "I'll be dead before anything catastrophic happens, so why should I care?" will spell the ultimate demise of our species. Sigh.

MachoMatt84 Mountain climbing
11/19/14 3:20 pm

... confident it can survive whatever is coming up in the next millennia.

11/19/14 3:23 pm

Life, yes. Intelligent life? No. We are the last remaining members of the genus Homo. We set evolution back millions, if not billions of years if we go extinct anytime soon.

11/19/14 3:25 pm

But of course this is all relative. I'm sure there's plenty of lifeforms much more intelligent than us in other universes :)

cowboy Here and There
11/19/14 2:11 pm

The Earth hasn't warmed in 20 years. We're safe.

bnnt Los Angeles
11/19/14 1:31 pm

The obvious solution is to build a giant spaceship and allow only the rich, highly attractive, and exceptionally smart to board with the hopes of colonizing another planet.

StoneRoots
11/19/14 1:24 pm

Americans say: climate change is a hoax
Climate experts say: it is not a hoax.
Idk anything about the current climate change and to be honest I shamefully do not have a lot of interest in the subject BUT I'm more inclined to listen to scientist over

StoneRoots
11/19/14 1:25 pm

Highly paid spokesman saying otherwise.

JaySaladJay I got a bucket of chicken
11/19/14 2:31 pm

Climate Change is just a naturally occurring thing, global warming is a hoax.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
11/19/14 1:20 pm

Women and their blow dryers impact it more than "man" does. ⬇️⬇️

EarlyBird Portland
11/19/14 1:15 pm

Until we figure out how much "man" impacts climate change, if at all, I don't support the programs.

Isomax TIC TOC
11/19/14 12:34 pm

We're not even smart enough to make up our minds whether or not the problem really exists leave alone solve it when we do figure it out.

shamoo Utah
11/19/14 12:18 pm

I think there are several interrelated reasons we need to change: finite resources, air quality, population.

jvc1133 61535
11/19/14 12:03 pm

Get with your fantasy.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
11/19/14 11:45 am

I disagree. Whether it's man-made or not means everything. The earth has been changing climate for thousands of years. It'll continue to do what it does. We can only expect to address factors that are within our control: i.e. human behavior.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
11/19/14 11:50 am

So demonstrating the human behavior is the cause and therefore correctable is not just germane to issue, but central.

Angela12 Anyang, South Korea
11/19/14 10:16 am

Hey! You sound smart, we should hang out :)

ncbuc Get Over It
11/19/14 10:01 am

Over population will be a bigger problem long before anything related to climate change or whatever we decide to call it next week.

rbrown Kansas
11/19/14 9:51 am

If it is caused by humans, then different solutions are needed. So, this is a very important point.

11/19/14 9:22 am

It amuses me (but also concerns me) that we are wasting so much time and resources arguing about something so irrelevant like causation. Climate change is not a US political issue, it's a global environmental issue. Yet here we are, arguing..

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
11/19/14 11:47 am

Causation is the very core of the issue. Fixes work best when they address the cause of the problem.

AbandonedAccnt Not here.
11/19/14 12:53 pm

It's a good poll. Shared.

11/19/14 2:31 pm

You're absolutely right. We could argue all day about what the cause of the increase in CO2 levels is/was. But we do know for sure that CO2 levels in the atmosphere are the highest they've been in 15 million years. That's real data. It doesn't matter

11/19/14 2:33 pm

who or what caused this to happen. Like I said, completely irrelevant. Maybe it's humans, maybe it's a natural process. Who knows. But we know what the problem IS, so we can brainstorm solutions together as a people.

11/19/14 2:37 pm

What I meant by "you're absolutely right" was "I see what you're saying but the damage is done already."

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/19/14 9:21 am

Can we afford to be wrong?

11/19/14 9:31 am

This attitude of "just leave these problems for future generations to deal with, at least I won't be alive when the shit hits the fan!" that we have had in this country for the better part of a century needs to end now.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/19/14 9:14 am

The answer to climate change is found in the Bible and requires no additional taxation.

11/19/14 9:20 am

Let's be real.

rbrown Kansas
11/19/14 9:52 am

Please explain.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/19/14 12:36 pm

??2 Chronicles 7:14??
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will HEAL THEIR LAND.

11/19/14 12:41 pm

Another classic example of twisting a bible verse out of context to mean whatever you want it to.

If your god is going to "heal" anything, what's he waiting for? The time to act was decades ago.

11/19/14 12:44 pm

I was also unaware that "land" means "climate". Lol. That's worse than saying that weather = climate.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/19/14 2:21 pm

Because you are an unrepentant SINNER....your understanding of the Bible, even with all your intelligence will be skewed.

11/19/14 2:24 pm

I understand it perfectly. It's an excellent science-fiction novel. How did the subject get on me anyways? Is that what you resort to when you realize how silly your argument was?

11/19/14 2:26 pm

If you decide to answer my question from above (before you conveniently decide to change the subject), I'll anxiously be awaiting your answer.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/19/14 3:36 pm

The answer to your question can be found in 1Corinthians 2:14

11/19/14 3:41 pm

Lol that doesn't address my question at all. This has nothing to do with individuals and whether they "accept" him. The fact remains that if there's a problem his "created" earth that affects ALL life, wouldn't be correct it regardless of how

11/19/14 3:43 pm

many humans "accept" him? Climate changes threatens all life, why doesn't he fix his mistakes? How come he was nowhere to be found during the last climate change? Clearly he would want to fix any mistakes or lingering problems with his earth, yea?

11/19/14 3:44 pm

Just another of numerous examples of how there's plenty of plot holes between religious philosophy (any religion, not just Christianity) and what happens in the real world and universe.

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/19/14 4:22 pm

When God created the earth he created it perfectly. There were no climate problems. When Adam and Eve sinned they brought the first climate change problems to the world. It is your Sin and my sin that continues to compound the problem.