suppressedID November 14th, 2014 11:23pm

Students who attended less elite undergraduate institutions are unlikely to ever close the lifetime salary gap (see article). Does career earnings make an Ivy League education worth the admittedly exorbitant cost?

cowboy Here and There
11/16/14 10:49 am

Depends on if your professor is an American, or a Marxist.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
11/15/14 4:35 pm

Look at the income filters. Do the rich know something the poor don't?

ThomasK
11/15/14 3:37 pm

Ivy's don't actually cost more than any other private colleges. They cost more than in-house state schools, but most private colleges/universities all have very high costs. Ivy's do give great financial aid, though.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/14/14 9:59 pm

I'm not going to rack up thousands of dollars in student loans for my undergrad at an Ivy League when I could go to a smaller state school for much less money.

veritas1 Panda
11/15/14 11:20 am

A college education is an investment. Why does the absolute cost matter when the relative long-term payoff of an ivy education is so much higher?

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/15/14 12:10 pm

Because I have a problem putting myself into $100,000 worth of debt for a bachelor's degree. Especially when I'm just going to rack up more debt at another school for my professional program.

veritas1 Panda
11/15/14 12:21 pm

Ivy schools offer the best financial aid around, so that would be unlikely to begin with.

But if the fact that you went to an ivy netted you significantly more than $100k over your lifetime, would it not be worth it?

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/15/14 12:29 pm

No, it really wouldn't be worth it because I could get just as much money over my life by going to a smaller school and not having to pay for a name.

FarmerManE djent
11/15/14 12:33 pm

I think what tiger is trying to say is it's cheaper to go to a state school vs an ivy school for a bachelors degree. When you go to get your masters or doctorate, it doesn't matter where the credits from underneath come from as long as you learned

FarmerManE djent
11/15/14 12:33 pm

What is required for your program.

veritas1 Panda
11/15/14 1:16 pm

Are you saying getting a degree from an ivy won't make you more money than getting a degree from some state school? Because that's simply not true.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/15/14 1:21 pm

Yeah, actually, I am. I don't need a bachelors degree in biology from Harvard to get into med school. And, once I graduate, my future salary will be more based off of what specialty I choose and where I choose to work than where my degree is from.

MaxineL New Jersey
11/14/14 9:58 pm

Depends on your career path. For finance and business, it's the connections. For science and technology, it's the education.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
11/14/14 7:21 pm

Again....it all goes back to connections. The investment will pay off if you can get in.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/14/14 6:59 pm

I tend to think, as the article suggested, that maybe it isn't the school as much as where they came from, who their parents are, and his well they learned to schmooze as a kid.

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/14/14 5:57 pm

Not every Ivy League graduate chooses to go down the path that leads to the most money though. I could have been making double or triple my current income if I'd accepted a private sector position like most of my classmates at Columbia, but I opted

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/14/14 5:59 pm

for working in the public sector instead.

Granted, I do really well, but everyone I went to school with will be far more wealthy monetarily in life than I will. Surviving Iraq made me realize that time is more important though, and while I set my

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/14/14 6:01 pm

own schedule and come and go as I please, my schoolmates are being run ragged in industries such as finance or technology. I love the work I do and am blessed enough to not have the desire to be a millionaire that's never home :)

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/14/14 6:53 pm

This isn't to imply that money is the metric by which to measure school (or life, for that matter). It's just the metric of the study and (by definition) quantitative.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/14/14 6:58 pm

I've noticed that many on SOH frame the value of education only in terms of money.

Your public service, at lower compensation, is MUCH appreciated. Society needs more civic appreciation.

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/14/14 7:05 pm

Thank you :) I know the people whose lives i help piece together after devastating traumatic injuries certainly appreciate my efforts, and to me that's more important than all the money in the world. I learned the value of what's important as a 19

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/14/14 7:06 pm

year old who should have been killed in Iraq multiple times and feel very grateful for the lessons that instilled, as the measure of each of us as human beings is ultimately what we do to improve the lives of those around us :)

jvc1133 61535
11/14/14 5:22 pm

We need ivy leaguers to guide our country, like that ass Obama.

zuko on deck
11/14/14 4:33 pm

I just glanced at the link. It seems as though it admits that students who attend Ivies tend to have a bit of a "leg up" because of family educational levels, income, etc. If similarly advantaged (or disadvantaged) students are compared, would the

zuko on deck
11/14/14 4:33 pm

difference be that great?

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
11/14/14 8:34 pm

Yeah, I tried to cover that in one Of the other polls.

zuko on deck
11/14/14 8:55 pm

What we're really talking about here are "gap kids". Students who are competitive for Ivy admission, but whose parents have enough income/resources to make them ineligible for need based aid. Ivies don't give merit aid...all kids would get it! These

zuko on deck
11/14/14 8:59 pm

kids are bright enough to qualify for substantial merit aid at State U., so the cost difference is even more significant...possibly even full ride vs. $65K/year. Of course, a lot depends on the student's desired career objectives. Connections count.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/14/14 7:00 pm

There is no gender gap, it's a myth. Ask any Republican.