NDAmerican November 14th, 2014 6:12pm

Inspired by Mattwall: If the South's March North had been successful, how would the present day be different with the United States and the Confederate States?

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
11/14/14 9:59 pm

I would guess that the South would have continued to develop into a major agricultural economy with light industry (since they would have lacked the Northern textile mills). They probably wouldn't have gotten rid of Slavery until international...

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
11/14/14 10:00 pm

Pressure forced them to, or it become economically unviable (like Brazil in 1889). It's possible they could have gained Arizona and New Mexico, but I don't believe Southern Cali, since California was a strong Union supporter in the war.

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
11/14/14 10:02 pm

The North would probably have developed on a similar path, except a larger portion of their agriculture would have been from Midwestern states such as Illinois, Indiana and Iowa. Without the South, the country's politics would probably have been...

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
11/14/14 10:04 pm

Even more progressive going into the 20th century (no Cleveland or Wilson administrations). However, the North would probably have not developed into a world power, as the Spanish American war would not have been as viable without a major Southern..

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
11/14/14 10:05 pm

Seaport. I believe the West would have by-and-large developed the same way that it did (North of Arizona and New Mexico) as most of the immigrants west following the civil war were union veterans from the Midwest.

NDAmerican Florida
11/15/14 9:43 am

I agree, I do believe that eventually like Many European nations, they would have industrialized in states like Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

ozzy
11/14/14 2:42 pm

The south would not have lasted long in control before crashing economically. I would assume another war would follow. Either way, slavery would have soon ended.
It probably would have been ended by the states eventually if Lincoln hadn't done it

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:58 pm

I agree slavery would have ended, I was wondering if they could control inflation and last long enough for the industrial revolution who knows.

skinner Wisconsin
11/14/14 2:31 pm

Well the north would take a while to recover. However, I suspect the south would find itself in even greater economic ruin in not too much time. They need northern industry for their agricultural products. I suspect the CSA wouldn't have lasted long.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:54 pm

To be fair, the industrial revolution occurred not too long after, reconstruction is what caused the south to be left behind to begin with, they wouldn't have that problem. Is see GA, FL, and the Carolinas becoming pretty successful later on. My

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:54 pm

My interests would be to see how they managed their inflation problem.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:55 pm

And also the reverse question to they would be how would the north fair without the South's agriculture. And seeing that secession was fair game, what would stop Kentucky and Maryland from leaving causing the Union to switch capitals.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:56 pm

And how would the north fair if that did occur by losing Baltimore. As well as possible territories such as Arizona, Nee Mexico, and Southern California.

TheCameron UCF
11/14/14 2:31 pm

There was a mockumentary called CSA that showa what wouod have happened thoughtout history.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/16/14 3:22 pm

OK, just found it on IMDb. Thanks!

hrankta
11/14/14 2:16 pm

Ongoing wars for the western territories, Mexico would probably have invaded the CSA, the US wouldn't have been a world power, and the Nazis would most likely have completed the nuclear bomb and taken over the world.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 2:59 pm

Well Mexico would have been defeated, the South won the war for America.

hrankta
11/14/14 4:43 pm

Not so sure about that. Maximilian I's regime would have crushed the rebel Mexican revolution without the help of the north. The south wasn't industrialized. And if they had won, they would have been weakened.

hrankta
11/14/14 4:43 pm

Especially if France still backed Maximilian I.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 5:50 pm

A vast majority of the soldiers and generals who fought in the Mexican American War were from the south and they would have been forced to industrialize.

IamBorderPatrol North Texas
11/14/14 11:59 am

If Lee would have waited a week before starting Gettysburg the war could have ended after the battle he needed reinforcements and for the north to give up position

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 12:09 pm

How do you feel the world would be like today had they won?

IamBorderPatrol North Texas
11/14/14 12:10 pm

Wouldn't say probably largely the same, behind about 30-40 years in civil rights

Optimus1
11/14/14 11:20 am

I'm guessing at some point between then and now, there would have been more uprisings. Suppression is suppression no matter the previous fights.

NDAmerican Florida
11/14/14 11:36 am

Do you think after the Confederates won, that other slave states such as Kentucky and Maryland would have left forcing the Union to relocate the capital?

Optimus1
11/14/14 11:39 am

Very possible. I'll admit I am not the most knowledgeable on the topic.