Show Of Hands November 9th, 2012 12:00am

If you woke up tomorrow transported to the Middle Ages, would you be able to teach your village how to harness electricity?

eieio California
11/17/12 7:34 pm

While your comment was witty, you didn't reach your full potential.

eieio California
11/17/12 7:26 pm

I would just to see if you sparkle.

eieio California
11/17/12 7:24 pm

What would your iPad do without the Internet?

eieio California
11/17/12 7:23 pm

Unfortunately, I think you are right. The church's hold over people's thinking was (or is that "is"?) amazingly strong.

eieio California
11/17/12 7:20 pm

Oh, that's funny! Would you get 115VAC/60Hz or 240VAC/50Hz?

11/13/12 3:28 pm

By the way since you know god,could you ask him why he allows so many children to die? And then tell him I said to go fuck himself.

11/13/12 2:12 am

You're a victim of century,s of lies and deceit. Think for yourself. God is a human invention that we no longer need.

JustOneMoreDollar Ohio
11/12/12 7:38 pm

It doesn't matter if you could, you would be burned for knowing the word "light bulb".

11/12/12 6:36 pm

It sounds cliche but I wish I could prove how different of a person I am, now that I know God.

11/12/12 2:07 pm

You should give it a try, you might surprise yourself. You would be the same person without the fantasy, trust me.

RoadToRuin
11/12/12 11:32 am

They'd shout heez uh witch he turnd be inta newt

11/12/12 10:42 am

If I'm happier believing a fantasy, and it drives me to pursue the intellect, in the end, I will be better off because I went through life happy.

I can honestly say, without God, I would be callous libertarian who helps nobody except those who benefit me.

11/12/12 2:27 am

Do you think you need a fantastic fairy tale to appreciate the wonders of the universe? I read books on quantum theory and the universe and I am fascinated by the subject. I don't need god. Humans don't need gods. It never ends well.

11/12/12 2:23 am

Actually you are arguing that atheism leads to a less moral being. God worship has been reduced in many European countries and violent crime has not increased. Good for you studying math and science but worship of anything is never good. Wether it's another human or an invisible god.

TideGal CFL
11/11/12 7:57 pm

I have red hair, they would probably burn me as a witch.

11/11/12 7:24 pm

And one other thing, I'm studying to be an engineer, I don't hide the fact that I'm a devout Protestant.
To me, learning mathematics and physics is a form of worship. Being in awe of Gods world drives me to further understand it, and I'm sure this is what men like Newton and Galileo felt.

11/11/12 7:19 pm

Could you cite where you found that atheistic/agnostic countries are less violent then others?

11/11/12 7:17 pm

If you want to add up atrocities committed by one religion or another that's fine, just be intellectually honest about the religion or lack there of, of some of the most disgusting humans in history like Eichmann, Mao, Stalin, hitler, PolPot, Genghis Khan.

11/11/12 7:14 pm

I'm not arguing that atheism leads to more violence necessarily. Although I can say that if a Christian king (or layperson) does not follow the teachings of Christ, that isn't a flaw with the teaching, it's a flaw with the human.

offbeat California
11/11/12 4:54 pm

If I were allowed to travel with a book then yea.

Jabes
11/11/12 3:38 pm

I can't speak for most, but I can spool and draw wire, and create a simple electrical generator with some magnets and copper...hook that up to a wind or water wheel as a motivator, and I'm set...most of this I know just from working on cars and helping build a go cart :)

11/11/12 12:28 pm

Lol on the name.

swervin Maryland
11/11/12 9:39 am

I like how so many guys think they can. Silly =p

11/11/12 8:18 am

You're argument that atheism leads to more violence doesn't add up. Historical data is proving that wrong. There have been how many Christian kings who have committed violence on their own ppl as well as others. Starting with Constantine and every European king and queen. Add those deaths up.

11/11/12 8:13 am

Maybe that's the problem with Christians you all think you're more Christian than the other person. Is that the sin of pride?

11/11/12 8:11 am

I apologize for the psycho comment I shouldn't have said that but my point still stands.

11/11/12 8:08 am

Why do largely atheistic countries have less violence and higher GDP? Answer that one. I'll give you time to prey on it.

11/11/12 6:33 am

Still avoiding the question.

Good job resorting to petty insults this time.

You cannot judge a belief system by those who pervert it. Sure there are people who claim to be Christian that are disgusting humans, but are they really following the teachings of Christ? The answer is definitely not

11/11/12 2:00 am

THERE IS NO GOD.

11/11/12 1:59 am

You so smart why didn't you disprove anything I said? Your religion is full of lunatics, child molesters, and self righteous a-holes.

11/11/12 1:50 am

How did I avoid a question u answered yourself you psycho?You religious weirdos always try to defer when you're argument stinks. Do you realize you have a neurological disorder? Grow up.

emsies Seattle
11/11/12 12:55 am

Yeah, but I probably wouldn't think of doing it. I don't remember how to make a lightbulb, but I think it involves arsenic...
I could definitely teach about static electricity. I just need wool and some pepper.

CaseyECE
11/10/12 10:37 pm

Absolutely!! Electrical engineer here :)

luluforever06
11/10/12 7:59 pm

I can work an IPhone or a computer by telling u what button to press but I couldn't be all technical with it like um hit the green button

11/10/12 7:42 pm

But since we are avoiding germane topics, may I ask, to what religion did Stalin, Mao, and PolPot belong?

11/10/12 7:25 pm

Avoid the question, you only expose your lack of knowledge of the subject and hatred towards something you don't understand

ugafan Southern by choice
11/10/12 7:16 pm

A kite, some string, a bit of silk, and some lightening? Hehe. No.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
11/10/12 7:02 pm

Insulating that wire might be a challenge, but I think I could come up with something. Now getting it thin enough to make an effective electromagnet...

11/10/12 6:24 pm

One thing the church did was to record history. Once again that also was perverted as it went against doctrine to record truths that didn't fit their " ideals". There has always been scientists if not simplistic ones.

11/10/12 6:20 pm

Democracy pre dates Christianity. It is also a natural state that Christianity interrupted. This religion has been a scourge all throughout history.Ignorance and false beliefs mixed with fantastic fables as a way of existence.

11/10/12 6:10 pm

Curiosity for knowledge isn't " god " inspired it is inherent in our nature. To the church's credit they did sanction scientific study till it went to far and began to disprove theology. Science continued in spite of religious interference.

11/10/12 6:01 pm

Here's a better question. If man ( human) had been pressed to discover what his surroundings were instead of settling for its " gods work". How advanced do you think humanity would be know?

11/10/12 5:15 pm

I'll even help you out: Archimedes, Eulicid, and Heron.

11/10/12 5:11 pm

So where were the scientists before the church? The church wasn't powerful until at the very earliest 500 AD, so where was this plethora of scientists that the church has since scared away?

11/10/12 5:10 pm

I forgot to mention, you would also kill the inspiration of men like John Locke. Without Locke there is no America, at least America as we know it.

Burntwaffle VA Politics and Pie
11/10/12 2:31 pm

Lol I've done 2 nuclear energy projects for school. But since uranium-235 is rare in the middle ages, i could still easily teach. Them how to produce it in other ways.