SticksandStones Stop fearmongering
11/10/14 1:56 pm

If they don't want to sell it, then fine, but if they don't let other people bring it, that's ridiculous. I don't drink it, but that seems unnecessarily restrictive.

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 5:43 pm

Couldn't agree more! If they think banning the sell of soda in school, Thats fine.. But not allowing it period? Getting a little out of hand. Our rights are diminishing. And so many people buy into it.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
11/10/14 1:07 pm

Of course not. That's so absurd it's silly.

Maj Worth Economist
11/10/14 12:32 pm

I don't think the school should be complicit in selling carbonated beverages to students, but I don't think there should be an outright ban. If you bring it to school, it should be allowed.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/10/14 9:47 am

Absolutely agree that stuff is terrible for you. The carbonation is bad for your bones artificial sugars aspartame is very bad for your brain and real sugar that stuffs absolutely loaded. Teachers approve of this ban also

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 11:09 am

I see your point, but I don't think the solution begins in the school cafeteria. Let people know the dangers and let them choose whether or not they want to drink it. Shouldn't be a government decision to make for you.

FarmerManE djent
11/10/14 11:11 am

Dr pepper is how I make it through the day

Dazey Beagles Rule
11/10/14 12:23 pm

Going to public school implies an acceptance of a level of "government intervention". Tax payer dollars should go to a quality education, and if food is to be provided at tax payer expense, healthy choices should be made.

Maj Worth Economist
11/10/14 12:29 pm

@TopsQueen - I drink a lot of carbonated water, and I was curious about health effects. My research led to the conclusion that it's not the carbonation itself - prevailing theories point to phosphoric acid, not present in all carbonated drinks. :)

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 5:45 pm

Teachers drink sodas as much if not more than students do. I see teachers bringing their own 32/48 ounce sodas all the time. It's very hypocritical if ya ask me.

FarmerManE djent
11/10/14 6:16 pm

Eric - there's a lot of truth there. I know one teacher that almost always had a bottle of dr pepper everyday. And another had a mini fridge with dr pepper 10 in her office. Along with her coffee pot, microwave and stash of popcorn

FarmerManE djent
11/10/14 6:18 pm

And dazey - public universities receive government money too, yet they have no regulations on what they serve

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/10/14 6:21 pm

Just because they have a college degree does not mean that they make good choices. However they have reached adult status. Thus have more choices. One of my husbands coworker smoked. We went to his funeral. He did not live long

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 6:26 pm

And you tend to think stopping the drinking of soda in school is gonna sway them from drinking it elsewhere? If they want to drink soda they will drink it. Nothing we do these days is "healthy".

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 6:30 pm

Teachers and adults these days do set horrible examples. Concealed weapons are not allowed in school by students or staff. Anything that is banned should be banned by building, not age. If students cant have it, staff shouldn't be allowed to drink it

Dazey Beagles Rule
11/10/14 7:52 pm

I'm pretty sure a comparison wasn't drawn between state universities and elementary schools. I would agree that if a school "bans" a food/drink, it should be applied to all within the institution. However, I don't support a ban. Just not serving it.

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 8:07 pm

@Dazey, I agree that if something is banned all people should follow the rule within the institution. I agree with you serving topic depending on what you mean by serving.

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 8:08 pm

I think that obviously school shouldn't put sodas out there like milk and juice. But schools should be allowed to sell them in machines and kids should be allowed to buy soda if they want it with their money.

EricG Small Town USA
11/10/14 8:10 pm

There will be time when these children will have to make a decision for themselves and they will not always have big government to make the decision for them. Educate them on the harmful effects, let them make a decision based off of that.

FarmerManE djent
11/10/14 8:23 pm

Eric, feel free to go chip in on the poll I just put up

Dazey Beagles Rule
11/11/14 4:59 am

We took the "nanny state" off-ramp long ago with public education. We're fine with debating curriculum for children. The "big gov" argument is moot. Parents can take 5 mins to ask the school what drinks are available, and 30 secs to ask their kid

Dazey Beagles Rule
11/11/14 5:01 am

what drink he wants. Parental involvement is a good thing, and not all that time consuming. Schools should make responsible choices of what should be made available to students.