SoHCollege November 9th, 2014 4:24am

Do you like the idea of elite athletes getting full-ride scholarships to college, when students with a perfect GPA in high school have to pay? Please explain your thoughts in the comments.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/09/14 12:00 pm

I'm okay with this.

For my example I will use the school I work at. No? It's not a college, but the analogy works.

The sports program brings in a lot of money for our school that allows us to have a fantastic music and arts program.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/09/14 12:01 pm

We have orchestra and band classes, choir classes, an art studio and multiple classes, much of which is made possible by selling tickets.

If we are making this kind of money, I can't imagine the amount made by universities.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 1:57 pm

Sure, however, the point of school is to learn, not to be famous. I checked out the breakdown of our credit hour tuition charges. $50/per hour goes towards athletics. About $8/ hour goes to student activities/orgs.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:03 pm

These are per credit charges paid by each student per YEAR:

$142 for the student health center.
$110 for transportation ($260 if you include my commuter pass).
$720 for student activities/student govt body/student events...

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:05 pm

...$180 for new buildings, new facilities, upgrades

ANND

$1,800 for athletics

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:10 pm

That's 1/3 of the credit hour rate. Finally, the other 2/3 can go towards salary and the actual. expense. for. taking. the. class.

Oh, and $1,800 is 20% of my tuition bill this year. It's almost exact.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:13 pm

Let's not even get into salary of the 100+ (bit of an exaggeration) FOOTBALL employees. You know, ones whose sole purpose is football? Our FIRST televised game was last month and already the average salary is above roughly $110,000.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:15 pm

Or how about how we have more athletics buildings than academic ones? I mean, is this a school or is it a football club. It makes me mad. Americans are sporty, but dumb as rocks.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:16 pm

I take that back. There are some that go to a school with the right mind.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:17 pm

Now on the other hand, to be fair. Schools known for their football can't also have mediocre classes. When the football light shines down it doesn't just shine ok football.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/09/14 2:18 pm

First comment: 3:57
Last comment: 4:17

A record for my uninterrupted soliloquies.

iBakes California
11/09/14 10:27 am

Two sides of this issue for me. On one hand, yes, because those athletes bring in a lot of money to the university. On the other hand, the good student should be awarded scholarships to cover all expenses as well.

iBakes California
11/09/14 10:28 am

But I'm also someone who believes college education should be "free" like public K-12.

stickman46 NJ
11/08/14 9:38 pm

I tutored student athletes. I had the extremes - both good and dumb as a rock - both were worthy of an education and support.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/08/14 9:27 pm

There are plenty of other scholarships available outside of sports.... The caveat is that sports provide a return on investment....

SoHCollege Frisco, Texas
11/08/14 9:40 pm

How do the show an ROI? I'm only in eighth grade, so I don't really know how all that works.

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/08/14 10:13 pm

Sports, especially football, generates a substantial percentage, if not most of, a college's revenue. Offering full rides to a promising athlete will help make their team better. A better team means more ticket sales, etc. An art scholarship on the

DerekWills Lone Star Gun Rights
11/08/14 10:13 pm

Other hand, not so much.