Mattwall1 November 9th, 2014 12:46am

Inspired by Abolitionist: Democratic Party ideals did well at the same time Republican Party candidates did well in the midterm elections. This is a sign not of a mandate for either party, but a sign that Republican candidates do well in red states.

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
11/09/14 8:45 am

I don't think it's either, I think it's a mandate for change from the gridlock we've been experiencing.

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 8:00 pm

Idk, I believe the fact that we passed minimum wage increases and legalization of marihuana alongside a Republican Congress doesn't mean there's not a mandate, I believe the country as a whole is growing more socially liberal. However, the election

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 8:01 pm

Wasn't about these things, it's was about immigration, ISIS, Ukraine, Ebola, The Budget, and the Economy. People understood what the Ideals were of the Republican Party were and the fact that Republicans gained governor seats in three strong liberal

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 8:02 pm

States and many typical democratic state legislatures is an example of how people are losing faith in both incumbents and the certain democratic initiatives. I believe they voted for a more functioning senate and now it's up to the republicans to do

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 8:03 pm

This, but ultimately compromise is what's going to be needed to get anything done. We'll see how that goes, I have faith and am optimistic for our future. But I would say there is more of a mandate for republicans for democrats in this country now.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
11/08/14 9:42 pm

Um, the election in Kentucky wasn't about any of that, it was about Obama. Not his ideals, his policies, but HIM. McConnell's argument was "Obama is scary, be afraid, elect me and I'll stop the spooky communist"

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 10:49 pm

Obama stands for his policies. When people voted they based their vote on the Record and Beliefs of President Obama not the Democratic in Question on the other side of the ticket. Regardless of what side of the Democratic Spectrum he's on,

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 10:50 pm

Obama lost the election for the Democrats. So while it may not be a strong mandate for Republicans themselves, it is a slight mandate against President Obama. And just because of what happened in Kentucky doesn't mean it was like that in

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 10:51 pm

West Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, or Massachusetts or even CT, RI, VA, and CO where races were extremely close. In fact the New CO Senator won on his own ideas.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
11/08/14 6:44 pm

It's a pretty well-known phenomenon that two-term presidents lose both houses of Congress in the midterm of their second season. Literally no one capable of looking backwards in history is suprised or worried about this shift in the long term.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
11/08/14 6:45 pm

God damn it. I just misused 'literally' in literally the worst possible way, and now I feel like a literal moron.

political Georgia
11/08/14 6:51 pm

You aren't a moron, but your politics are "literally" moronic (hoping that's a word). :)

rons screw politicians
11/08/14 6:35 pm

And in BLUE STATES TOO!

political Georgia
11/08/14 6:28 pm

Republicans won the Governor's race in Illinois and Maryland. Both states were carried easily by Obama.

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 6:15 pm

I disagree. Republicans did well in purple and even blue states. Yes, some left leaning ideas like raising the minimum wage and legalizing marijuana were legalized were enacted, but nonetheless Americans elected a Republican majority and that has

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 6:17 pm

greater long term consequences than a few referendums. That said we are faced with a conservative Congress and a liberal White House. Therefore compromise is necessary if we want to accomplish anything this Congress.

political Georgia
11/08/14 6:29 pm

I actually agree with Skinner.

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 6:31 pm

I'm not sure you read my second comment

political Georgia
11/08/14 6:33 pm

Of course, I agree with your second comment. I just lack confidence in Congress making good sensible compromises that I advocate for more gridlock. I rather have gridlock than bad compromises. If we want something to get done, compromise is the only

political Georgia
11/08/14 6:33 pm

...way Congress will be able to make progress.

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 6:47 pm

I'm impressed. We actually do agree.

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 7:58 pm

Thought you guys agreed more often? Lol

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 8:05 pm

We agree over 68% of the time. It's just we usually find things to disagree about anyways.

NDAmerican Florida
11/08/14 8:11 pm

I agree with you skinner 82% of the time and political 70%. Lol

skinner Wisconsin
11/08/14 8:13 pm

Haha wow. I'm surprised you're not in my top 10 agree with list

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/08/14 6:04 pm

Don't mean anything really I'm thinking this has happened to what ??? The last four presidents in their second term. Just a shot in the dark but perhaps right. Happens frequently.

Djsoke
11/08/14 5:50 pm

I agree that is not necessarily a mandate, while at the same time, I don't think it's "just" a sign that arm republican candidates will do well in red states, see the Gubernational races in Maryland and Illinois.

Djsoke