sojourner November 7th, 2014 9:39pm

Is it permissible for a college professor to forbid students from having their phones or laptops out during class?

ButchBrewBaker Pennsyltuckey
11/08/14 6:17 am

Yes, it's extremely annoying and distracting. Cell phones aren't a constitutional right.

frodosynthesis South of Incoherent
11/08/14 6:00 am

My music theory professor is a little bit too anti-phones. I told her I was waiting on a call from my bank about my stolen debit card, and may need to step out if that call came during class. My phone was on vibrate, and I sit by the door, so it

frodosynthesis South of Incoherent
11/08/14 6:02 am

wouldn't cause any disruption. She told me to take the day off class instead, so I was forced to miss everything we learned that day. Another instance with the same professor, someone had a question about a certain piece of music and it was 100%

frodosynthesis South of Incoherent
11/08/14 6:03 am

relevant, but she had to pull it up on her phone to show hed the part she was asking about, the professor kicked her out of class and gave her a failing grade for the day. Needless to say, the question went unanswered

MrJamToTheJames Monterey
11/08/14 12:54 am

if it is an active activity then yes but if they are just taking notes than no but people need to use respect for the professor when using them

StoneRoots
11/07/14 11:23 pm

I'm paying to be in the classroom, and I'm an adult. I do not think it's a professors place to tell me when I can and cannot use my phone. But it's common sense to be respectful about it. Sound off and calls taken outside.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
11/07/14 11:00 pm

I would get out of that class quick. My 1st grader uses, a tablet and a computer everyday in the classroom, and all homework is electronic.
If a college professor can't get with the times, I don't want to be in their class.

sojourner present
11/08/14 6:03 am

I make students submit virtually all assignments through a web based platform. I have a small contingent that complains about it every semester. They'd rather turn in sloppy handwritten work I can't read apparently. I don't get it . . .

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/07/14 9:46 pm

If I'm paying to be there, I should be able to take notes however I choose. Notebook, laptop, etc. It's my choice.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/07/14 9:00 pm

Of course. Their house, their rules.

jmw7477 Indiana
11/07/14 8:38 pm

It's their classroom and their decision.

curtron basement of the Alamo
11/07/14 8:11 pm

I had a professor that did that last semester. It hindered learning significantly because many students take notes on their computers and had e-textbooks.

MrMilkdud
11/07/14 7:46 pm

Yes. If he or she feels it is distracting the other students.

jvc1133 61535
11/07/14 7:39 pm

Sound off, both can be used for notes.

FarmerManE djent
11/07/14 4:40 pm

I have 5 classes this semester. 3 teachers ban computers, one allows and the other uses a school computer lab. I think it's a huge pain that in this day and age that students aren't allowed to take notes on a laptop, or a tablet even

sojourner present
11/07/14 4:50 pm

I allow it as long as the student doesn't abuse the privilege

MrMilkdud
11/07/14 7:47 pm

Why do you consider it a privilege? When I was in grad school I considered having my laptop to be a necessity.

sojourner present
11/07/14 7:53 pm

Because in class it can be potentially disruptive to other students and it is possible to take notes without one. With that being said, I'm very lenient in my class. I make the expectation of adult behavior

sojourner present
11/07/14 7:54 pm

very clear at the beginning and haven't had any problems. I know several profs that ban them, and phones, altogether.

sojourner present
11/07/14 7:55 pm

Also, I'm at a community college where I have traditional students, dual enrolled HS students, & older students who've been out of school for a while. The demographics can make classroom management a challenge sometimes.

sojourner present
11/08/14 7:06 am

Political science. And a large part of the class is the open, and respectful, debate over policy. My style is to encourage the students to discuss with each other. I stay out of it unless 1 side is unrepresented then I play devils advocate.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
11/07/14 3:41 pm

Absolutely their right to do so. But I have a severe problem with anyone who doesn't allow laptops for note-taking purposes.

bs75758 Michigan
11/07/14 3:14 pm

Cell phones definitely although I would allow them to record the lectures with them. I'm torn on laptops. People take notes with them, but the sound of typing while I'm trying to listen to a lecture annoys me.

cpaswr just say the letters
11/07/14 2:56 pm

Yes. His class, his rules.

TierasPet
11/07/14 2:44 pm

Phones, yes. Laptops, maybe but I'd hope not.

sojourner present
11/07/14 2:46 pm

I'm with you on this one. But if they're using to play games, etc during class it can be disruptive and distracting for other students. So I'd leave it to the discretion of the prof.

TierasPet
11/07/14 3:03 pm

Very true. I always used mine for notes. When I couldn't have it in classes, I had to transfer the written notes to the laptop.

sojourner present
11/07/14 3:06 pm

I do allow them, and encourage the use of technology. But if I catch them gaming or watching YouTube, then they are banned from using it in class.

TierasPet
11/07/14 3:37 pm

I like the way you think.