trepidhickory November 6th, 2014 1:37pm

Is the argument that government should stay out of marriage nullified by the fact that YOU the citizen need to apply for a marriage license and you are not being forced? As in you have to invite the government into the marriage.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/06/14 10:23 pm

No, and the argument seems a little too simplistic anyway. It isn't about the government being in marriages, it's about all of the government benefits attached to marriages. It would be a challenge to unroll all of those.

MaxDollaroff cynic turned skeptic
11/06/14 9:01 pm

When I found my wife we were going to be together regardless. So if we were somehow denied a marriage license, it would have been completely irrelevant. She and I would have continued to travel around the sun together anyway. We choose to be together

MaxDollaroff cynic turned skeptic
11/06/14 9:02 pm

, regardless of what state, country, or continent.

StoneRoots
11/06/14 7:51 pm

They want government out of marriages unless it's to pass their agendas like doma. Funny how reps do the same cherry picking with government authority as they do with the bible.

Agonist Iowa
11/06/14 7:28 pm

Iowa is a common law marriage state. No license needed!

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
11/06/14 11:55 am

Not being forced, but coerced. You said it yourself, a liscense affords you sepcial legal protection. Who's going to choose it's ok because I can have inequality and fewer rights.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/06/14 11:11 am

I shouldn't have to 'invite' them. My marriage is none of their business.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/06/14 11:36 am

Then don't make it their business. Get married in a private ceremony.

kermie gaytopia
11/06/14 2:22 pm

Exactly. I don't understand this sudden last-minute anti-gay "government should get out of marriage" business. Government is only involved with civil marriage, which is the role of government, to be involved in civil matters.

kermie gaytopia
11/06/14 2:23 pm

Government isn't and never will be involved in religious marriage. You can go ahead and get married without any government involved. So stop whining about people who do want the government involved in their wedding. It's not your business.

ThomasK
11/06/14 7:25 pm

Who actually WANTS the government involved in their marriage? Without a government-recognized marriage you won't get any benefits - taxes, property/inheritance rights, etc.

mrdudemanpants
11/06/14 8:59 am

Isn't that part of the argument?

sojourner present
11/06/14 8:58 am

One of government's primary functions is to maintain order. That means creating laws that regulate some relationships between individuals. I don't object to government being involved with marriage, per SE, but to the degree and manner.

sojourner present
11/06/14 8:58 am

I don't think that stance is hypocritical.

knetzere Illinois
11/06/14 7:48 am

What I mean by saying that is. We should do away with current systems. If someone wishes to be recognized by the government as a 'married' the option should be a civil union for all. That is all that should matter to the government.

KingCoal Colorado
11/06/14 7:16 am

simple rewording overcomes this problem though. like the government shouldn't decide who can get married

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:18 am

I agree any person above the legal age should be allowed to marry any other person above the legal age.

However conservatives use the government should stay out of marriage argument to say why homosexuals shouldn't be married.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 6:50 am

I get a tax break that I don't really think I should. Playing the game doesn't mean you agree with the rules.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 6:53 am

But isn't it hypocritical to say government should stay out of marriage and then invite the government into your marriage to reap the benefits?

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 6:55 am

I guess as hypocritical as it would be for a millionaire to advocate more taxes for millionaires and not donating money to the government before he wins the fight

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 6:59 am

Both are hypocritical yes, but by signing a marriage license you are inviting the government into your marriage.

No one is forcing you, you can forgo signing that license

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:05 am

And not receive the extra money? Why would I do that? Personally, I can't understand how a married couple deserves a tax break more than a couple just living together, but giving in and taking that money doesn't make me understand it better.

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:16 am

It's not just a tax break

it's having the right to put your spouse on your insurance.
Having the right to visit your spouse in the hospital
Having power of attorney should your spouse be incapacitated
Among many other things.

Without a legally

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:16 am

recognized marriage, that is all up to the private companies. and that leaves room for problems.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:20 am

So why wouldn't I take advantage of that regardless whether or not I agree I need the permission slip from the overlords

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:24 am

If it wasn't for the "permission slip" your marriage is only recognized by the people who want to recognize it.

The license is legal protection that you can opt into.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:29 am

And some think that's the way it should be. What confuses me is the people that think if I don't think that's the way it should be then I'm somehow against gay people marrying each other

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:33 am

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying that if you don't want government in your marriage then don't invite them in

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:36 am

And lose the benefits in some act of martyrdom? Yea, no thanks, again why would I be dumb enough to do that?

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 7:37 am

Obviously you don't feel very strongly about it

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:41 am

Truthfully, I don't, I stood in line to get my permission slip, mumbled to myself how retarded the whole process is, and went about my life once I was given the blessing of the ones who know who I should be allowed to marry. Once done it was done

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
11/06/14 7:43 am

I pictured some guy on a throne saying "yes, this union is acceptable to me, you may carry on"

jackietheman Just Stop...
11/06/14 6:41 am

I would say no, because people have to apply for that license to be known as married and get the tax breaks and stuff.(although my system has a flat tax/sales tax)

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
11/06/14 6:52 am

the tax breaks provided by the government.

Congratulations by signing the marriage license you invite the government into your marriage so you can reap the benefits