lookatthisdick
01/21/13 1:01 am

If you're old enough to die for this country you're old enough to drink in it.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 6:47 am

Hell yeah brother. Thank you!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 6:47 am

If all other aspects of adulthood are available at 18, then drinking and handgun purchases should be available at 18 as well. I think we should have a uniform majority age. Same goes for charging minors as adults. Let's have one single age of adulthood and responsibility.

redpantsjam
01/18/13 9:31 pm

My father was an alcoholic and scarred me for life. I still say 18. Not sure why, it just seems a bit more fair for some reason.
Sue me.

pages
01/18/13 4:59 pm

I say not untill the brain stops developing

Annabelle202326
01/18/13 3:46 pm

The fact that people will still break a law doesn't mean that we should just not have those laws at all.

pkkjr98
01/18/13 8:51 am

People do it anyways you might as well just lower it.

cmac2573
01/17/13 7:23 pm

You chose to be in the military. Nobody forces you. Legal age was 18 once upon a time and it ended poorly and was raised back to 21

airforceconservative
01/17/13 5:58 pm

I'm 18 years old and in the military. I took an oath to defend this country with my life. I believe that most 18 year olds are too immature to drink responsibly, but I think that if you can die for your country you should be allowed to have a beer at the end of the duty day.

DirtyHarry Louisiana
01/17/13 6:49 am

If one can die for their country in the armed forces at 18, then they can drink a beer with me any time, any where at 18.

iloveyou1216
01/16/13 11:24 pm

Even though the drinking age is 21 kids are drinking as young as 13 now! I am 20 years old and I am much more mature than I was at 18 and make much better choices. Once they are 21 they have lived in the "real world" and can make much better decisions They are still in high school at 18 for godssake

Micah
01/16/13 12:48 pm

Think of how many more lives are saved within those three years. Yes, eighteen year olds may be entitled to marriage, sex, tattoos, etc. but they are not addictions which can have grave effects on somebody's life. Alcohol is a poison which is the cause of some of the most brutal crimes.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/16/13 7:41 am

you can drive when you're 16, go fight for your country when your 18 but you have to wait till you're 18 to drink?

ellie12399
01/16/13 5:33 am

They're gonna do it anyway around 17 or 18

JohnnyBraska Nebraska
01/15/13 10:23 pm

Old enough to die Old enough to drink.

SpamKickYou
01/15/13 8:54 pm

I agree if you have to be responsible pay bills / taxes can live on your own rent / buy a home or sacrifice your life for your country you should be able to drink , I don't care what the age is as long as responsibility goes hand in hand w freedom

k9fanatic
01/15/13 6:51 pm

If they can fight for our country they should be able to drink. Better question would be should we raise the age to enlist to 21 and keep drinking at 21 too.

staygolden
01/15/13 5:54 pm

If they're gonna drink they're gonna do it if its against the law or not so might as well just let then do it plus your legally an adult at 18 you can get sent to the big house and join the military and by cigarettes buuuuut no alcohol for you????? Makes total sense

tierrem99
01/15/13 4:45 pm

So does the military choose 18 as the age of service because they know that young "boys" don't know any better?

krayzewolf New Hampshire
01/15/13 1:22 pm

So an 18 year old can be sent to fight and die in some backwards pissant country, but no beer for them.

Awsome.

opie123 Washington
01/15/13 12:44 pm

I didn't at all drink until I was 21 never got drunk until i was 23. Went thru a phase at 24 were all my friends did was drink. Tapered off at 26. Barely drink anymore.

regrep8
01/15/13 12:42 pm

I see the stupid choices most 18 and less make I can only imagine what it would be like if alcohol induced. Enlisting and drinking are two different things.

opie123 Washington
01/15/13 12:41 pm

My brother turned 18 the summer BEFORE his senior year of high school. Kids swiped enough beer from their parents imagine having 1/4 of the school legally able to buy it for themselves. That is why I say 21.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
01/15/13 1:39 am

I'm 19. I don't drink, and I really don't want to or plan to. I'll try it when I'm 21, but I doubt I'll like it. I don't like flavored drinks. I drink water 99.9% of the time. I really don't care about the drinking age for my personal use.

kaik12 Twin Cities, MN
01/15/13 1:37 am

Only two drinking ages make sense to me: 18 - legally recognized as an adult. Should have full privileges. 25 - decision making isn't fully developed until now. Couple that with inhibited decision making while drunk. Bad. Binge/excessive drinking can cause more damage if done before this age.

jdkxnndk
01/14/13 11:29 pm

If people can smoke weed and go to war at 18, why can't they drink?

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 10:26 pm

To your point that the alcohol impairs, would it not be logical to know the effects before driving rather than finding out the effects while already having a car?

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 10:24 pm

Why is the idea of earlier exposure to the effects of alcohol bad? At least in the sense that it should be earlier than driving. Adolescents are not equipped logically to drive in my opinion. I know many crazy teen drivers. I work at a high school. I was one... so were many of my friends.

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 10:20 pm

Your original comment was more of a slander than my comment on your self proclaimed closed stance. "that's smart" implies my stupidity.

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 10:19 pm

To be honest, I see your point. Alcohol is a bad thing in general. Perhaps an outright ban or breathalyzers in all cars would be a better solution. I do think the German model that I am influenced by is better than our model.

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 10:17 pm

Actually I was saying what you said, "you can't convince me" that is a blatant claim of a solid, unmovable belief. I wouldn't attack you... Slander is the last resort. I was commenting on the futility of the argument.

jrw010
01/14/13 9:58 pm

There we go, don't respond to a point, just use a personal attack to try to dismiss an argument.

01/14/13 9:55 pm

18 year olds csn go to war...give them a beer

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 9:31 pm

Um... Take a psych class before you start making claims about alcohol NOT being the cause of impairment. Alcohol is the problem.

jabinaise Oregon
01/14/13 9:28 pm

Knowing your limits would be a benefit. I see your mind is closed though, so why bother...

BadWolf The Library
01/14/13 9:10 pm

If the military age was changed, 99.9% of comments on this question would be garbage. Even more so than they are now.

montie AnCap and proud
01/14/13 8:54 pm

Kids are already drinking at 14.
They think is hardcore.

satiricalnick meh
01/14/13 7:15 pm

Of course, i agree completely. But you missed my point entirely.

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
01/14/13 6:01 pm

I never said anything about a draft or conscription law; we're talking about the drinking age. How the hell do you go from a debate about the drinking age to the draft?! The draft is gone anyway; never to return!

Threeper301 Gilbert, AZ
01/14/13 5:59 pm

I can tell you firsthand, it's not gonna happen. The U.S. military is a ZERO-TOLERANCE organization. Besides, if you're stoned out of your mind, how can I trust that you're still competent enough to cover my ass when the bullets start flying?!

satiricalnick meh
01/14/13 5:45 pm

If i join the military, it should be 420 all day era day.

tierrem99
01/14/13 5:12 pm

I argue that if you are old enough to fight in (insert war) and be shot at, then you should be adult enough to drink alcoholic beverages. Or, change the age for signing up to 21!?

Ramfanman77
01/14/13 4:24 pm

Drinking and driving including more accidents from it. Bad idea.

AndreasEdlef
01/14/13 4:08 pm

21 - trust me, I'm European and 18 is not a great idea!