Mattwall1 November 2nd, 2014 10:53pm

Parents A & B are divorced. Their child lives with Parent A. Partner B lives out of state, and wants Parent A to pay for round trip plane fare for their child to visit Parent B. Parent A says no. Who is right?

burtoniscool Minnesota
11/02/14 9:29 pm

My parents have been divorced since before kindergarten and they've always live in diff states. One parent pays for the first leg, the 2nd parent for the return back. Or 1st parent pays for me, the 2nd parent for my brother so it equaled out.

gjb2779
11/02/14 9:09 pm

Parent A, unless parent A intentionally moved themself and kid away from parent B to put distance between them.

Idahologger up north
11/02/14 9:07 pm

The parent that moved away from the child should have to pay for all of it

runschmoopie WNY
11/02/14 7:34 pm

They should be splitting the cost.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:07 pm

The parent who moved, at best. Imo, parent B. The child is coming to see THEM. If it's that big of an issue, may sound harsh but move closer to your kid.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:09 pm

And my brother is in a similar situation.... he's military, and she moved to Texas. He's ended up paying for everything, and is trying to get them a house to rent too. She isn't even working, let alone trying to help with the finances....

brenstal Florida
11/02/14 6:35 pm

Parent B should pay for the transportation to get the child to him/her, but it would be nice if Parent A helped.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
11/02/14 5:34 pm

Not enough information. The parents both contribute in proportion to their financial well-being.

BigKennyShow Welcome to the basement
11/02/14 5:32 pm

As Zod said, it should be arranged in the custody visitation papers issued by the court. With that being said, in my opinion it would depend on which parent moved out of state. If parent B moved away and doesn't have custody they really don't have...

BigKennyShow Welcome to the basement
11/02/14 5:34 pm

an argument on the matter. If parent A moved away then I think they should at the very least share the financial responsibility of the airfare.

BigKennyShow Welcome to the basement
11/02/14 5:35 pm

My sons mother & I are divorced with 50/50 custody. If she moved out of state then it's her tough luck if she doesn't want to/can't afford airfare.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 5:07 pm

It will be covered by the custody agreement until the kid turns 18, but parent B needs to get a clue. Divorced means parent A doesn't have any reason at all to pay for anything parent B wants. Once the kid turns 18, lose each others' numbers.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/02/14 6:41 pm

Marriage rates are dwindling. A lot of separations involving kids are between unmarried partners...and that population will only be growing.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 6:59 pm

I bet a lot of those have custodial or support agreements though. My position on unmarried partner/parents who split up is the same. Whatever the court decides, if they can't agree between themselves.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/02/14 7:11 pm

I know my mom got my brother's dad to sign a letter saying she wouldn't open a child support case if he allowed her to move. He, being unemployed, had no choice but to sign it and get it notarized. Custody is one scary thing.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 7:19 pm

Yeah, I think it's the main thing that complicates splitting up, otherwise you'd just divide it all up and go. And sadly not everyone puts the kids' needs first - if they did we probably wouldn't even need support agreements.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/02/14 7:25 pm

And there are stories of judges forcing women that had fled an abusive partner to return because of custody. It really is tough

susanr Colorado
11/02/14 8:55 pm

I feel fortunate in that my daughter's father and I were in that unmarried & separated situation, but we never quibbled about who would pay for what. We just both took responsibility for doing what we could, as we were financially able. She

susanr Colorado
11/02/14 8:56 pm

benefited; we remained friends. But we had separated very amicably.

twss trump is a garbage human
11/02/14 4:52 pm

I would probably say I side more closely with Parent A, but there are so many details that aren't being given, I don't know that I can say I fully support Parent A in this situation.

DuckAndCower
11/02/14 4:49 pm

They should split it.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/02/14 4:22 pm

They're talking about Parent A's money. Parent A is the only one with any right to determine how it is spent.

bstokosa Connecticut
11/02/14 4:07 pm

What does the divorce decree state? Which parent is capable of paying? Might fall under a 50/50 cost share. Parents current on child support payments? I know WAY too much about this because I'm living it.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/02/14 4:00 pm

Parent B needs to pay.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/02/14 4:00 pm

Unless parent A moved out of state with the child.

Mattwall1
11/02/14 4:08 pm

No, parent B used to live in state but left due to work

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/02/14 4:37 pm

Parent A still should not pay regardless of whether they're in state or not.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/02/14 4:42 pm

I don't fully agree. If parent A moves the child out of state and away from parent B, then I think there might be some responsibility to help pay for the flight. But, other factors would also need to be considered.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/02/14 6:40 pm

Parent A can't be held responsible for a plane ticket because they had to make the best decision for their child. There are some situations where I would agree with you, but overall..

cpaswr just say the letters
11/02/14 3:56 pm

Parent B can bear the cost.