TomM November 2nd, 2014 10:28pm

South Dakota measure 17: Health insurance including Medicaid and ObamaCare cannot exclude any healthcare provider when they qualify on terms on conditions (cost cannot be a condition). You vote?

thebarr
11/04/14 4:41 am

Why wouldn't cost be a factor? That's an awful idea.

TomM
11/04/14 5:08 pm

I agree it could have some quite unpredictable and unwanted effects. I was stunned when I read it.

catpillow Florida West Coast
11/02/14 8:10 pm

There must be some way to compromise - perhaps a clause covering situations where there is no "in network" physician within 20 miles, you can see the closest physician at an in-network price.

jvc1133 61535
11/02/14 7:43 pm

I'm got this terrible problem, I'm sick of the whole damn insurance question. F*** Obama

jvc1133 61535
11/02/14 7:43 pm

and the democrats he rode in on

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 7:10 pm

I think it is an overreach to demand all insurers basically duplicate the phone book. My insurer lists all "preferred providers", those who have agreed to a lower negotiated fee schedule. I don't need or want the list cluttered up with the others.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 7:13 pm

Having the clout of the insurer negotiate the lower fees on my behalf is the best part of what the insurer does for me. If a provider declines to accept the lower fee, why would
I go to them and pay more out of pocket? Sounds dumb.

TomM
11/02/14 7:35 pm

People in SD and specifically state workers complain they have to travel far to get to the care which is covered. They want the closer option included too.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 8:09 pm

It's a little different if it isn't covered at all. My plan covers any provider, but at a higher percentage of the higher non-negotiated fee. But that's part of choosing a plan - picking the one that works best for your situation.

corino Utah
11/02/14 6:21 pm

They already accept all providers regardless of cost, the expensive ones are called out of network.

TomM
11/02/14 6:48 pm

From an article: "There will be no physician panels after this; every physician will be able to participate equally. That’s one of the great ways we’ve been able to hold down costs. We contract with insurers — if you’ll send me more ...

TomM
11/02/14 6:49 pm

.. patients, I’ll take a lower cost. And that’s one of the ways that health care costs are controlled."
rapidcityjournal.com/news/local/five-questions-on-im-with-allen-nord/article_f17dff23-934c-505f-b2e3-0f2484c17ef4.html

suppressedID suck it Kyle
11/02/14 3:47 pm

If they meet the federal minimum requirements there's no problem. That's why they're called minimum requirements.

TomM
11/02/14 3:50 pm

It's common to exclude providers which don't meet the cost target set by the insurance plan. This proposal would make that impossible. The doctors/hospitals can charge anything they like.