FemmeAdamWest November 2nd, 2014 5:56pm

Inspired by JJJSCHMIDT: Is taking a picture of someone breast feeding more rude than taking a picture of someone who's not?

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
11/03/14 4:06 pm

if someone is going to just walk up and take a picture, that's an invasion of privacy

cowboy Here and There
11/03/14 8:06 am

Don't do it in public. Problem solved.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/02/14 10:02 pm

Breast feeding is a beautiful, natural and personal asked permission. Then it's ok.

ovcourse Alzheimer Joe
11/02/14 7:34 pm

I don't know about this topic. Some women want to breastfeed in public because it is natural. So if it's really so natural and not personal, then maybe it should be okay to take their pic like anyone else's.

JJJSchmidt San Marcos
11/02/14 3:58 pm

Why, Femme, I'm flattered!

EarlyBird Portland
11/02/14 3:50 pm

When I'm in public, I'm always aware that I'm probably on camera somewhere. If I was approached by someone who took my pic while breastfeeding, their approach would determine if I was bothered by it or not.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/02/14 3:27 pm

This seems creepy. Tho a public setting is implied, one can STILL have their privacy invaded, IMHO. This seems more fetishistic, than creative exercise.
If a gal asks strangers to snap images of her breastfeeding, fine. Otherwise, leave 'em alone.

jvc1133 61535
11/02/14 2:58 pm

Why would you choose to do this.

lagg
11/02/14 2:14 pm

Don't take pictures of people without their permission. I hate that this isn't common courtesy.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/02/14 1:57 pm

No different to me. If you have to breast feed in public, do it so nobody can see.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
11/02/14 2:00 pm

And people need to realize that pictures are taken in public all the time. Phones are out all the time and you never know when someone could be taking their picture. Anything you do in public could be on camera. If you don't like that, don't do it

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
11/02/14 1:08 pm

I'd say yes, because it seems like the reason somebody would take that picture is *because* you're breastfeeding, and they are thus intentionally invading your privacy.

rickvee Living the dream
11/02/14 1:54 pm

By "invading your privacy", are you referring to women who breast feed in public with nothing covering? I'd say they dismissed their own privacy in that case.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
11/02/14 2:56 pm

No, I just mean invading your privacy in the sense of taking your photo without your permission. It's not illegal in most places, but it's still an invasion. I mean, if I was sitting and reading in a park and somebody snapped my photo, it would be

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
11/02/14 2:59 pm

likely they weren't snapping the photo out of an impulse reaction to my activity of reading. They could just be taking photos of various people doing various things around the park. But generally when people snap photos of breastfeeding mothers, it's

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
11/02/14 3:00 pm

not because they're just generally trying to capture how public space is used, but rather they are fetishizing the activity of breastfeeding, and in that way, their demeanor is more invasive of privacy.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 1:05 pm

Taking a picture is like gawking. Sure it's in public, and it's fine to look briefly or notice, but it's rude to stand there gawking. That anyone would bother to take a picture makes me think it isn't fully accepted as part of the background.

rons screw politicians
11/02/14 1:00 pm

I think it just rude and stupid. But doing it while waiting a line in Mickey D's is not smart either.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
11/02/14 12:59 pm

If someone is break feeding in public, they are accepting all the risks associated with that activity, including the risk of someone taking a picture.

I think breastfeeding is perfectly natural and should never be considered a sexualized act.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
11/02/14 12:54 pm

Yeah, I think it's a particularly vulnerable position to be taken a photo of in. I would be more offended if someone took a picture of me revealing myself to provide nutrients to my child than otherwise.

knh85 ...
11/02/14 12:37 pm

It depends on the motivation. In general I wouldn't want a stranger taking my picture, but if I'm nursing and it's being done to ridicule etc it is worse.

magicalgirling
11/02/14 12:17 pm

If you're taking a picture of someone just because they're breast feeding and you find it strange, that's pretty messed up... And creepy

Kay41 the Midwest
11/02/14 11:53 am

The only reason I said yes is because there is also a child in the picture. I would never have wanted a random person taking a picture of my child as it would have been weird and would have seemed obtrusive.

b4mytime Orange County, CA
11/02/14 1:05 pm

I thought of that too, but I assume the spirit of the question requires us to compare a picture of breastfeeding to a picture of the mother AND child when not breastfeeding to be comparable.

Kay41 the Midwest
11/02/14 2:09 pm

That isn't how I read it, but you might be right. :)

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 11:40 am

No. I breastfed for three years (2 kids), I'd feel the same as any other random person taking a picture of me without asking me. I wouldn't like it, but wouldn't see it as any worse.

swjboucher Just Run
11/02/14 11:27 am

I first said yes then changed my vote. The argument for breastfeeding in public is that it's natural and those people who are offended are just being petty. So if that's the case then there is no difference.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 11:34 am

This is exactly why I'm conflicted with my answer

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
11/02/14 12:24 pm

I get that, but there's a touch of voyeurism involved with this. Now, if the photographer was an artist and asked permission, then that's fine. But to surreptitiously take a picture... that just seems creepy to me.

rickvee Living the dream
11/02/14 1:56 pm

Changing a babies diaper is a natural and normal part of child rearing too. But you wouldn't do it on the table of a restaurant would you?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 2:01 pm

No; what does that have to do with this?

rickvee Living the dream
11/02/14 2:12 pm

Just that nursing and diaper changing are both natural and normal parts of having a child. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against feeding in public, but use something to cover. It's common courtesy, not everyone wants to see that.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 2:16 pm

Breast feeding your child at the table where the rest of the family is eating is not comparable to changing a dirty diaper at the table where the family is eating in my opinion.

roundsquare round square
11/02/14 11:14 am

One shows an exposed breast. Duh.

knh85 ...
11/02/14 12:40 pm

Not necessarily. Even without a cover clothing now is much more discreet when it's made for nursing. And the baby covers most of the breast anyway. One shows 'side boob'.

roundsquare round square
11/02/14 2:53 pm

I guess but it seems wrong. It's a intimate, private time between mom and baby and it shouldn't be exploited.