Saphira November 2nd, 2014 3:46pm

"Atheists are really just anti-Christianity. I never see them speak out against any other religion."

Saphira
11/02/14 1:33 pm

This was a comment posted on an article linked in another poll concerning the FFRF having an "x rated" pamphlet which had many excerpts from the bible pertaining to sex, rape and violence in it.

Joshua77 Jesus is Lord
11/02/14 1:30 pm

There are some very outspoken, hateful atheists - Richard Dawkins is a good example.

ThinkAboutIt Staten Island, NY
11/02/14 1:20 pm

:facepalm: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 1:16 pm

It's a misperception, though easy to gain if you're Christian. Considering Christianity is the most pushed at everyone, it can certainly seem that way.

fredd TrumpLand
11/02/14 12:44 pm

That's a perspective as seen from Christians. Of course they're going to pay more notice to any comments and opinions that seem anti-Christian. Same with the news sources that cater to that audience.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 10:56 am

Atheists aren't inherently anti-religion, they simply don't believe in a god. I personally have never been against any religion in the least, or preferred one over any other, as long as those religions don't impose themselves on me in any way.

TierasPet
11/02/14 10:49 am

I don't believe that's true of most atheists.

susanr Colorado
11/02/14 9:59 am

Of course not. Atheism per se isn't "anti-" any particular religion; it's just a belief that no god exists.

It seems to me that many conversations or encounters involving atheists & believers, in the US, anyway, are between Christians & atheists,

susanr Colorado
11/02/14 10:00 am

mainly because Christianity is the dominant religion here. But the same conversations could be - and sometimes are - held between atheists & people of other religions.

It's not about Christianity; it's about the existence, or not, of a god.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
11/02/14 12:28 pm

I was about to say the same, that the interactions we're used to seeing atheists involved in are mainly with Christians, because Christians are most common here.

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
11/02/14 1:48 pm

Susan hit the nail on the head. Basically this ^^

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 9:49 am

Disagree. I hate all religions and think they bring down society. Maybe the person who said that and the people that agree are people who've only experienced that because we live in the US where the main religion is Christianity and since they often

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 9:50 am

try to pressure us into their ways or stop us from doing what we want because it's against their religion, we're going to be more vocal toward them!

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 9:52 am

Or do you people think the atheists in Muslim countries are mostly harping about Christianity?

fredd TrumpLand
11/02/14 12:45 pm

Actively hate? I'm guessing they've had some negative impact on your life?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 12:47 pm

I wouldn't say actively hate, I'm not always thinking about religion and how much I hate it. And yes, I think religion has had a negative impact on most peoples lives whether they see it that way or not.

PrinceOberyn Here I am Here I Remain
11/02/14 9:44 am

For us Anti-Theists, yes. It's the dominant faith and most well known.

11/02/14 9:48 am

1.6 billion Muslims in the world.

11/02/14 9:48 am

You are wrong on both accounts

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 9:52 am

He didn't specify but if he's talking just about the US, he's right.

Joshua77 Jesus is Lord
11/02/14 1:29 pm

I'm not sure of the argument here, but Wikipedia says there are 2.37 billion Christians and 1.6 billion Muslims in the world.

11/02/14 2:02 pm

Muslim is the 3rd largest in the United States. It is absurd to use as the excuse, that the reason Islam is not at all targeted by "atheists" is do to a more populous christian majority. I would believe liberal political correctness before this crap

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 2:06 pm

In the US there are more Christians (and definitely more vocal Christians) than there are Muslims. The people who are making this quote are almost certainly American so this is where they are having their experiences. I don't know why you are arguing

Statek Im from the Internet
11/02/14 2:14 pm

Percentage of Muslims in US: 0.8%
Percentage of Christians in Us: 77%
Your argument that they're anywhere near similar in the United States is complete bullshit

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 4:19 pm

Muslims are the 4th largest according to pew, between Buddhist and Hindu...
religions.pewforum.org/reports

11/02/14 4:44 pm

And where did I say they where similar? I said they are the 3rd largest. You saw what you wanted to see.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 6:04 pm

Except that they're not the 3rd largest...

11/02/14 6:07 pm

Depends on the source, 3rd or 4th. The point is, there is a definite determination by atheists to abolish Christianity.

11/02/14 6:10 pm

If only 6% are atheist, that would mean 94% are pro religion. Tell me, why should the will of the masses be set aside completely for the will of the few?

Statek Im from the Internet
11/02/14 6:18 pm

You're saying that it doesn't make sense that Christianity is a major target when it's nearly 100 times larger than Islam in the US? Do you not see how idiotic that sounds?

11/02/14 6:55 pm

Maybe reading comprehension is not your strong point. At no point did I say "main", I said only. The Muslim faith is not only center stage in the media, it is infiltrating our gov., schools and lives. Where is the outcry from the atheists?

11/02/14 6:57 pm

I will also assume you don't have an answer to my inquiry?

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:02 pm

He might be left speechless at the fact that you just presented what you said as fact....

11/02/14 7:13 pm

Ok, give me an example.

11/02/14 7:15 pm

And tell me where I am so wrong as render him speechless.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 7:27 pm

There's no major outcry because what you're saying isn't happening on the high level you seem to think it does.

I also don't know how an article from foxnews about a single group of atheists going after a Christian monument plays into this.

11/02/14 7:30 pm

Did you read it? Or just the headline? There is a quote from the judge, addressing the question I asked earlier.

11/02/14 7:31 pm

Seriously, third time today there has been issues with atheist reading comprehension

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 7:34 pm

No I didn't read it. And my reading comprehension is fine. You're the one who keeps arguing about things that have nothing to do with the question for reasons I'm unsure of. In the US Atheists "complain" about Christians the most because that's the

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 7:35 pm

most because that's the most prominent religion. Period. Nothing to argue about.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 7:36 pm

Sorry for the repeat in there, but I'm sure you'll understand since you comprehend things better than the rest of us.

11/02/14 7:49 pm

Well if you had read the article, you would have known what I was talking about. But as a closed minded individual such as you appear to be, seems it is pointless to try and get through head of yours.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/02/14 7:51 pm

Not wanting to read your article doesn't make me close minded. Try again.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:54 pm

1. I read the article. It had no info not in the title.
2.Not wanting religious display in a publicly built/funded isn't an attack on religion.
3. tinyurl.com/kbj54p6

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 7:56 pm

And I'm sure it won't make a difference given your persecution insistence, but I'm not atheist. I take no issue with people believing what they want as long as they don't push it on others. So far, it's only been Christians doing that that I've seen.