getupbaby November 2nd, 2014 1:03am

Would you have signed the Civil Rights Act of '64 had you been a senator at the time?

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/03/14 1:57 am

I would have signed it if they eliminated Title II and Title VII because I view property rights with great importance and each of those sections violates property rights.

fredd TrumpLand
11/02/14 12:34 pm

I'd also like to say yes, but if I was in that position my upbringing and social conditioning would be hugely different. I'd like to think I would be enlightened enough to vote yes, but I can't guarantee that.

Mattwall1
11/02/14 10:42 am

May I ask why?

jvc1133 61535
11/02/14 4:35 pm

I just indicated you can ask

Mattwall1
11/02/14 4:37 pm

Do you have the decency to answer?

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 6:36 pm

Not literally in 1964 (the year I graduated from high school) because I didn't know crap then. But by '65-'66, I certainly would have, after I learned more about what was going on in the country.

getupbaby South City
11/01/14 6:04 pm

This issue is one of the few that drew me away from the libertarian party.

getupbaby South City
11/02/14 3:40 am

In the way that they oppose it.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/03/14 1:49 am

Do you have a solid & accurate understanding of why Libertarians oppose it? I ask because so many people think it's about race when it has nothing to do with race, but with property.

getupbaby South City
11/03/14 6:20 am

Property? I've many arguments, but none based on property come to mind.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/03/14 8:56 am

Hmm, interesting. That should be the only argument you hear, unless you're talking to self identified Libertarians who don't truly have a solid understanding of libertarian philosophy & why it's actually opposed by libertarians.I don't have the space

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/03/14 8:56 am

here to do an explanation justice, so I found an article that explains it well on what appears to be a Canadian site of all things. Anyway, here it is: mises.ca/posts/blog/the-libertarian-case-against-the-civil-rights-act-of-1964/

getupbaby South City
11/04/14 9:00 am

Yeah, I've totally heard that argument, just never in terms of property, mostly in terms of the gov't compelling the private sector to serve everyone. We are much better off with the CRA in place.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
11/04/14 11:05 am

NP. I'm cool w/people disagreeing w/the property rights argument. I just don't like when people think the Libertarian argument is about race or that Libertarians have an issue w/the entirety of the CRA, when it's only 2 sections that are opposed.