kermie November 1st, 2014 4:56pm

Have you heard about the disappearance of the Sodder children in 1945? I obsessively read about this story last night and then it gave me bad dreams. I find it fascinating. What do you think: did the children die in the fire or were they kidnapped?

curtron basement of the Alamo
11/02/14 12:06 pm

I Don't think they were burned. It takes a lot of heat to vaporize bones.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/02/14 8:39 am

Kidnapped. Maybe murdered. It was intriguing. Those poor parents.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 11:38 pm

Neither explanation adds up. They would have found remains in the fire if that's how they died, but why would you kidnap 4 of the children? I can't think of a motive for why to kidnap the kids.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/02/14 8:40 am

But why only take some of them? And I would imagine that their original intent by setting the fire was to kill the parents, so why bother taking any of the kids?

11/02/14 8:43 am

I saw one website that said those kids were still awake downstairs playing with their new toys. Not sure if that's true but that may be why.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/02/14 8:51 am

Kids are hard to control. Ask Kermie . Also hard to round up. They grabbed who they could did damage got out. People were far more naïve back then. The kids could've told the parents are dead they contacted them.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/02/14 11:46 am

That could make sense. What about when the mother saw the daughter asleep on the couch? Were the other kids not still down there?

11/02/14 11:58 am

Not sure. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/02/14 12:38 pm

Very true. I googles the case this morning, and found a site that claimed the 2 older brothers 1st told police that they woke all the kids up and assumed that they followed them out.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/14 6:26 pm

I had never heard the story, but it seems unlikely they died in the fire without a trace.

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 1:51 pm

That is probably one of the very strangest & puzzling mysteries I have ever heard about - because neither option seems terribly plausible, given what is known. It's hard to imagine how so many kids, including a 12-year-old & a 14-year-old, could have

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 1:54 pm

been kidnapped without a trace, but the lack of any trace of bodies in the house (except the vertebrae that doesn't even fit in, at all) points to their not having died in the fire. So... many... oddities.

11/01/14 2:27 pm

I agree. The rational part of me (which usually wins) says they obviously died in the fire and forensics being what it was in the 40s, they just missed the evidence. But between the cut phone line, the evidence of arson, the weird threats,

11/01/14 2:28 pm

the missing ladder, the trucks that wouldn't start...somebody obviously had it out for them for some reason.

11/01/14 2:29 pm

That cryptic note from Louis was probably a hoax but part of me wants to believe it was real. It's all so bizarre.

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 8:45 pm

Yeah, all that. Plus the PI who vanished without a trace.

PrincessPetal Austin, TX
11/01/14 11:41 am

So terrible. Definitely probably kidnapped. I'm afraid now :/

11/01/14 12:20 pm

My theory is mafia. So just don't get involved with them ;)

HayleyS looking up.
11/01/14 11:35 am

I'm not even gonna read about that; this sort of thing has always really really freaked me out.

I hope your dreams weren't too bad! Lol

11/01/14 12:19 pm

Well my mom was trying to avoid me and I kept trying to find her and then ISIS showed up to murder my boyfriend and then a demon started strangling my father so yeah it was great lol!

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/01/14 11:21 am

Wow, thanks for posting, that is crazy! And how terrible for the family to still be suffering from no answers.
I think they were definitely kidnapped, by other Italians in the neighborhood who didn't like the opinions or actions of their father.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
11/01/14 11:23 am

I didn't word that last sentence very well. I think they definitely were kidnapped. The follow up was only my guess as to why and who.

11/01/14 12:26 pm

Yeah it is sad and tragic. I think dying in the fire is the simplest and most likely explanation. But something doesn't add up.

missmorganmarie ...
11/01/14 10:16 am

wow. fascinating and chilling story. thanks for sharing. i think they were kidnapped. I wonder why they didn't continue to follow up on that lead from Ky

11/01/14 10:23 am

Isn't it creepy? I think the family tried to follow up on as much as they could but they were pretty poor and didn't get much help from law enforcement.

missmorganmarie ...
11/01/14 2:38 pm

makes you wonder if the town law enforcement was in on it. I wonder if it was the mafia

11/01/14 3:22 pm

Yeah, that's definitely one prevailing theory.

missmorganmarie ...
11/02/14 8:07 am

That's so sad. I'm really surprised the kids haven't tried finding the rest of their siblings by now. I really want dateline to pick this story up and investigate!!!

dawl adulting
11/01/14 10:10 am

What an awful tragedy...It's like I'm reading a mystery novel. I do not think they burned in the fire :/

11/01/14 10:21 am

There's lots more to read if you dig around. Especially on message boards. Apparently the family had a website about their search until 2008 when it suddenly and mysteriously shut down. No one has heard from family members publicly since.

dawl adulting
11/01/14 10:26 am

Wow! This is so intriguing. Thanks Kermie, I needed a new obsession.

11/01/14 10:28 am