drunk November 1st, 2014 4:44pm

"The curriculum for any given major at a public state university is the exact same as an Ivy League school. The only difference is the price tag."

gamerguy217
11/02/14 11:49 pm

Agree for the most part. All A level colleges are created equal. All B level colleges are created equal. All C level colleges are created equal.

But a B level college will realistically get you just as far as any other.

gamerguy217
11/02/14 11:56 pm

For example, mechanical & aerospace engineering graduates from A level schools get a starting salary around 7% higher than graduates of B level schools. But they are both hired.

Is the extra tuition worth that 7%?

karion Illinois
11/02/14 11:39 pm

The professors make a difference, even if the curriculum is the same.

Wes28 CBus
11/02/14 6:55 am

Somewhat agree. You go because the degree looks more impressive in the workplace.
All college material (not counting higher-level research) can be found on the Internet for free.

dfish at home
11/02/14 1:52 am

Next question: TRUE OR FALSE: The curriculum can all be found on the internet for free

2albion2 California
11/02/14 1:04 am

The quality, experience, expertise and passion is often at a higher level at ivy league schools. Not always true, though!

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 12:20 am

Disagree, though I wouldn't be surprised if name was a factor in the cost. There are other potential factors like more committed classmates, more competent professors, significantly smaller class sizes. All of which are quite helpful.

Joshua77 Jesus is Lord
11/01/14 2:22 pm

Actually, the main difference is the people you go to school with. That's the reason that you go to an ivy league school. Not for the education but for the contacts.

ThomasK
11/01/14 2:21 pm

You go to an Ivy for the doors it opens after graduation, not because you actually learn more. That's what makes it worth the cost. What I really don't get are expensive private non-Ivy schools with no reputation. Those are a waste.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 11:02 pm

This doesn't apply to everyone, but I chose to go to a small school because when I apply to vet schools, I will know my teachers and advisors much more personally than if I had gone to a larger school. Their letters of rec. will be much more personal

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 11:02 pm

Than if I had gone to a larger school where the teachers didn't know me.

Rosebud Ohio
11/02/14 12:23 am

I started college at a private non-ivy (though it did have a good rep-among those who know about it). It was significantly better than the average public. The professors were incredibly competent and gave you personal attention.

jamichl Seattle
11/01/14 2:02 pm

... And the class size. ... And the quality of the in-class educator.

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
11/01/14 12:39 pm

The competition in the classroom in different.
The faculty is different.
The opportunities after graduation are different.

DuckAndCower
11/01/14 11:51 am

The biggest difference is the quality of your classmates.

2katz I live in Nebraska
11/01/14 1:43 pm

Exactly. I much prefer the company of people I have things in common with, instead of snotty spoiled parties living well on trust funds. And, they wouldn't want me around, either.

StilettoMiss SF med law, meme queen
11/01/14 9:24 pm

That wasn't my experience at all. I come from humble beginnings and so did many of my classmates at Columbia. Ivy League institutions often take a chance on poor people with the intention of changing the trajectory of their lives...I'm an example :)

gjb2779
11/01/14 11:47 am

Curriculum yes, knowledge and teaching abilities of professors no

Kay41 the Midwest
11/01/14 11:02 am

Disagree. You are not going to get the same caliber of professors at some universities as others.

iBakes California
11/01/14 10:07 am

Ha, definitely disagree. Prestige raises the cost a little compared to a major public university, but the education warrants the rest of the increased price tag.

kermie gaytopia
11/01/14 9:57 am

In some instance the curriculum may be similar. But the faculty is certainly better at an Ivy League school. Not sure that makes it worth the price.