Mattwall1 November 1st, 2014 2:52pm

History classes should promote the wondrous nature & achievements of the nation, & as much as possible, ignore potential negatives. If the past must be altered for this purpose, so as to provide for a citizenry of designed patriotic stock, so be it.

11/02/14 6:46 pm

I'm not sure about that...but it does seem to be what we have been trying to do for a while, and keep trying to do it still

sadewt Rexburg, Idaho
11/02/14 9:10 pm

that's what the main character did, change the history to make it seem like their country was perfect and amazing, and always had been.

11/02/14 10:14 pm

True, although I suppose that means we are the dead

Ernest Make it so
11/02/14 3:36 am

I don't mind teaching the good and bad. I don't however approve of anti-nationalistic attitudes spawned because of it. They are in the past and we are in the now.

11/02/14 6:47 pm

By that do you mean students developing them or teachers having an attitude in either direction?

Ernest Make it so
11/02/14 6:51 pm

I would say for certain teachers displaying their bias. For students, it should be up to then to make their own choices about the past, but to keep I'm mind that they control the future and should not abandon their patriotism.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/01/14 6:26 pm

If that's the case why bother with history? Just read them fairy tales.

11/02/14 6:48 pm

I probably should send my former high school's history teachers fairy tales

rbrown Kansas
11/01/14 1:52 pm

History should be dispassionately honest and factual.

gjb2779
11/01/14 11:50 am

You're not learning history at all if you gloss over the negatives. To get a film history you need to consider the good the bad & the ugly as a whole, they all combine to make the world as it is today

Jeninerd Hoth, AK
11/01/14 11:05 am

This post gave me cancer.

kermie gaytopia
11/01/14 10:00 am

That might be the most vile thing I've ever heard.

bethanyq Ess Eff
11/01/14 8:54 am

Of course not. That's propaganda, not history. The point of history is to help us keep humanity, and our place in it, in context.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 8:46 am

We shouldn't ignore negatives, but we shouldn't harp on them like we do today. Liberals have completely rewritten our great history to make us the bad guys every. single. time.

We are the shining city on the hill and that should be acknowledged.

11/01/14 8:51 am

Have you ducking seen the watar da or textbooks? If you call that harping on negatives, you do want to get rid of them, because they basically have next to no negatives at all-and yes, there are more than 2 negative events/topics in U.S. history

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 9:01 am

"Have you ducking seen the watar da or textbooks?"

Huh?

11/01/14 9:37 am

Fucking*
Seen what's in the textbooks*
Sorry, autocorrect is evil

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 9:53 am

Next to no negatives, are you drunk in class? I'm not that far out of school and I was literally taught America is nothing but a collection of racists and sexists who oppressed everyone and we have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's sick.

11/01/14 11:33 am

Actually no, I've never been drunk. I do have a knowledge of history and what's in the textbooks, and trust me, the textbooks already whitewash, this is just worse

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 12:11 pm

Never been drunk? The best things in life are just passing you by. Man up son and throw back a couple of tall boys!

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/14 8:19 am

No. We must never whitewash the past. There are valuable lessons to be learned from the negative parts of history.

Rotavele Alabama
11/01/14 7:57 am

Unfortunately the Texas board didn't budge on it and they're already being printed. Moses is a founding father, slavery is replaced with property rights, Jim Crow laws have been removed, etc. :/

11/01/14 7:58 am

John Locke would approve...

11/01/14 7:59 am

I think the Texas school board is learning from the soviet example, or the Chinese example

Rotavele Alabama
11/01/14 8:07 am

Shocking stuff in there like how they used the word negro in the book for black people. I wonder what all states will be using their books because they said it goes out to many other states.

11/01/14 8:22 am

Did they use it in historical context? Ex. The negro leagues? Or some other, unacceptable way

Rotavele Alabama
11/01/14 8:25 am

"South of the Sahara Desert most of the people before the Age of Explorations were black Africans of the Negro race," according to World History A: Early Civilizations to the Mid-1880s.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/01/14 7:55 am

That's called propaganda, not history.

11/01/14 7:57 am

Yeah.. I know... There's a reason I think the way history is done in us schools is essentially propaganda (and yes it isn't just public schools on this one, private schools are often as bad if not worse)

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 8:44 am

Yes and that propaganda is that America is the founder of all ills in the world, every "ism" and singlehandedly responsible for destroying the planet. Liberals have destroyed the greatness of this nation through historical revisionism.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/01/14 8:48 am

It's also propaganda, Scotty, to say that the federal government is responsible for no ills in the world.

11/01/14 8:49 am

No, america isn't the source of all, or even most, ills in the world, not all the best things ever. But if you went historical revisionism, look at what texas is going. THAT's historical revisionism

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 9:00 am

What Texas is doing is RESTORING proper history and they should be applauded for it.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 9:04 am

Though I do agree with Liberty. The federal government's role in starting and maintaining through law the slave trade should absolutely be taught. Also how they destroyed the black family and Indians with welfare.

11/01/14 11:32 am

Moses influenced the founders? Slavery wasn't an issue that caused the civil war? The kkk and Kim crow don't deserve mention? Bullshit scotty. That's revisionist and even you know it

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 12:00 pm

The war of northern aggression was about states' rights, nothing more.

The KKK and Jim Crow were started by Democrats so I agree that should be taught.

11/01/14 12:02 pm

US Civil War* slavery was the main reason*
And while I fully agree they should be taught, how about you grow a pair and stop being a partisan troll?

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 12:10 pm

So now I'm a troll for pointing out historically accurate facts?

They should also teach that Lyndon Johnson was a racist his entire life and called the Civil RIghts Act "the nigger bill". Don't whitewash history!

11/01/14 12:12 pm

No, you're a partisan troll for saying you're fine with teaching it because one party was involved, the explicit implication being that if it had been the gop you wouldn't want it taught. THAT'S why you're a partisan troll scotty

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
11/01/14 12:18 pm

Not at all, I just know race relations is a hot topic in the history books and people should know that front to back, the Democrat party was the number one impediment to civil rights for blacks.

I agree with you, we shouldn't whitewash history.

rons screw politicians
11/01/14 7:55 am

Be fair and balanced!

11/01/14 7:54 am

Dear school boards, lease stop following this mantra. I'm perfectly fine with being patriotic, I consider myself to be such, partly because I fight shit like this. Now, it's fine to talk about the positives. But the negatives must be mentioned. Stop

11/01/14 7:55 am

The whitewashing and the spreading of myths and outright lies. Teach what actually happened. There is no other moral or logical course that can be taken, but of course-that hasn't stopped anyone before on this issue