TierasPet November 1st, 2014 2:40pm

In your opinion, which of these two actions is more likely to cost someone an election?

Wackacrat Harford County
11/01/14 4:56 pm

Unfortunately too honest. Ron Paul was poohed off as a Crazy Old Bat who no one pays attention to because he would rant what he was honestly passionate about for 30 years. You knew where he stood and he was consistent. Not politician worthy traits.

Wackacrat Harford County
11/01/14 4:58 pm

People like to hear what they want to hear. Politicians tend to do only that for some money and a vote.

11/02/14 7:00 am

Well put and not a good move for the country.

Reeze The TARDIS
11/01/14 2:39 pm

People fall for lies (even bad ones) easily. The truth will scare most voters away.

MurrayHitchens The Truth Wins Out
11/01/14 12:53 pm

I think politicians try to appeal to emotions rather than intellect. It's harder to win people over with a well thought out delicate message about costs and benefits. It's easier with pandering and scapegoats even if everybody can see through it.

11/02/14 6:58 am

I agree but I don't think everyone sees through it or even wants too. I find that scary. Uneducated voters who prefer lies is not a sign of progress. When sound bites take the place of discussion, we are in a bad place.

jalapeno verdadero
11/01/14 12:52 pm

If people were honest, they would say they have no idea what's gonna happen in their term if elected (because they can't predict the future). People don't want candidates who aren't cocky and sure about what they'll do and what will happen.

RedHale Texas
11/01/14 12:04 pm

Look at Obama, he's a horrible liar, but he's been elected twice.

11/02/14 6:56 am

Yes he has. That's what even bad coverups will do for you. It's really scary when you think about it.

HammeringMan Gods Away On Business
11/01/14 10:28 am

EZ EZ EZ answer: Honesty is a politicians death trap.
The electorate prefers any lie, good or bad.

11/02/14 6:55 am

That definitely seems to be the winner on this poll.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
11/01/14 9:46 am

I think it's honesty.

Rambo
11/01/14 9:36 am

One little peep about views on abortion or gay marriage. Poof. bye bye

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
11/01/14 9:01 am

Too honest easily. People tend to prefer to be told what they want to hear. Many more believe their ends justify the means.

11/02/14 6:53 am

Well said and very true. It's a worrisome mindset.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/01/14 8:47 am

Costing elections would be MUCH more likely by being a "Bad Liar". Lies seldom survive challenge, a liars character rarely maintains itself above relentless scrutiny.
A liar further alienates the opposed, and erodes belief amongst faithful followers.

sbarn15
11/01/14 12:57 pm

You must not follow politics very closely.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/01/14 1:28 pm

sbarn, you may be right. I assure you I certainly don't fixate on it, but do follow more as an observer, than a participant or activist. All other things being equal, I make it on the side of honesty, than on someone who's an outright, "Bad Liar".

gonzoboy Arizona
11/01/14 1:37 pm

I meant to say "All other things being equal, -if I make a mistake-, I make it on the side of honesty..."

11/02/14 6:51 am

You both made great points. I think a bad liar can get away more easily than someone who is very honest. There are always people there to cover for even the worst liars but if you're honest, people take issue with it quickly. I think part of that is

11/02/14 6:52 am

because it's still perceived as a lie. People are used to being lied to and they expect it so even when the truth is right there, the belief isn't.

Cole12 ...
11/01/14 8:26 am

Too honest. Voters don't like hearing the truth, because it's usually inconvenient or ugly.

11/02/14 6:48 am

My thoughts as well. It's definitely hurting us all in the long run though.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/14 8:15 am

Lying badly. Lying well seems to be key to getting and keeping the job. If telling the truth ever hurt one of them, it wasn't the telling of it, but the truth itself that did.

11/02/14 6:47 am

The truth hurts and people would usually rather not hear it. You are absolutely right.

EarlyBird Portland
11/01/14 8:10 am

We've already seen that lies don't hurt politicians. We keep electing them.

gonzoboy Arizona
11/01/14 9:20 am

These aren't the "BAD Liars"... but folks proficient at the art of communication, words and delivery, captivating a Nation, a world.
Skilled, deft liars, who tickle our ears and have us hanging on every syllable. Like...
youtu.be/UErR7i2onW0

gonzoboy Arizona
11/01/14 9:24 am

Even the best, most proficient liars among us, regardless rank or Party, must lie in the beds they make. It may take 4-6-8 years, but eventually these folks and their lies come home to roost. So in the end, even the 'Good Liars' lose their shine.

11/02/14 6:46 am

EB, that's an excellent pint and very true. Gonzo, I truly wish you were right but I'm not at all sure all liars ever get caught. The best if the best will always leave questions at least.

Rotavele Alabama
11/01/14 7:53 am

We will see. While the media was blasting her I was very happy to see the female senator running in Kentucky not lie and say she voted for someone other than Obama when she knew it would likely cost her some points.

11/02/14 6:43 am

I'm always glad to see honesty as well but you're right, it's criticized far more than the lies.

curtron basement of the Alamo
11/01/14 7:44 am

Look at Ron Paul. Said exactly what he was going to do. Didn't mince words and everyone thought he was crazy.

TomM
11/01/14 8:04 am

True. I would also point to Simpson-Bowles, they were tasked to come up with a tax reform, they did make a compromise and everyone hated it. It may not have been perfect for anyone but it was in my opinion the best attempt so far.

11/02/14 6:42 am

Honesty and truth are simply things most people don't want to hear or deal with in my opinion. There's always more criticism of the truth than even a bad lie.

TomM