TigerShark47 November 1st, 2014 1:05pm

How do you feel about Walgreens mandating their employees to tell every customer to "be well,"even if they are obviously very sick and will probably never get better.

riggsy Myrtle Beach, S.C.
11/01/14 9:00 pm

If it's a mandated saying, it is less genuine.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/14 8:39 pm

At least with "Have a nice day" I could answer with "No thanks, I have other plans."

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 6:57 pm

I don't like it. I dislike making employees say anything specific to customers, except practical stuff like "Did you find everything you were looking for?" (although I've had *very* unhappy results most of the time when I've said "Well, no... and

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 6:59 pm

here's what I couldn't find...") or "Did you check your eggs today?" The local Kroger affiliate currently has employees wearing t-shirts with "So GLAD to see you!" printed on them - with "GLAD" in a different, brighter color. Gag me.

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 8:00 pm

And that's all aside from the inappropriateness of saying "Be well" to people who aren't ever going to get better. Just... stop it.

brenstal Florida
11/01/14 6:47 pm

I don't see it as any worse than "have a nice day." I don't interpret "be well" as to be healthy or get well soon. I see it more like a positive platitude.

brenstal Florida
11/01/14 6:49 pm

So, yeah, I'm think of well as in "I'm doing really well today" or "has your day been going well?"

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 10:35 pm

I can understand that. I think that in a pharmacy, most people are thinking about their health, or at least expecting the employees to, so be well is often interpreted more as health and not state of mind.

missmorganmarie ...
11/01/14 2:59 pm

if someone said that to me I would just stare at them confused

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 4:49 pm

Haha it just sounds so awkward, doesn't it?

FlipFlopGirl Sic semper tyrannis
11/01/14 8:29 pm

It sounds like a futuristic cult saying..

missmorganmarie ...
11/01/14 9:20 pm

it does. I mean I get that they mean well by it but it's just strange

TierasPet
11/01/14 6:54 am

I don't like it. Be safe would at least make sense but be well is just silly. Frankly, they should just say something nice to the customer and they should make that choice. There are plenty of nice things to say that are appropriate.

Optimus1
11/01/14 6:13 am

This is a positive sentiment. I think those who raise issue, are part of the "feel good" society, demonizing those with good intent, attempting to justify categorizing everyone in the same box of insensitivity. Why is this offensive?

Optimus1
11/01/14 6:15 am

That and "have a great day" are one in the same. Should we stop this offense as well? How are we to assume a random stranger is capable of having a great day?

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:33 am

I agree that's it's a positive sentiment. However, I think it can be hard to be sincere when you and the customer both know there will be no getting better. I don't think the company should force each employee to say this.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:34 am

It would be better if they were given the option of saying "have a nice day", "thank you for stopping by", or something similar. Repeating the same sentiment over and over makes it less sincere either way.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:37 am

And, as a healthcare worker, there is a difference between "have a nice day" and "be well". I can't predict what type of day you're having, but if you're one of my monthly customers, I probably know how good of health you're in.

Optimus1
11/01/14 6:47 am

This is assuming the checker at Walgreens has specific knowledge of the terminal/perminantly unwell customer. But I agree, "have a nice day" would in a way alleviate this issue.

Optimus1
11/01/14 6:48 am

For the record, I am not a fan of mandated sentiments. They come across as pointless and impersonal.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:51 am

That is true. I work at an independent pharmacy, not Walgreens, and I know the basic condition of most of our normal customers. I can't say for certain for Walgreens but with as few techs as they hire, I would assume most of them know.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:52 am

Optimus1
11/01/14 6:55 am

Techs, yes I agree. If one is in a position of knowing the facts, this Walgreens sentiment requirement is insensitive.

TigerShark47 Missouri
11/01/14 6:56 am

Oops, didn't mean to post that twice. And I agree about mandated sentiments. I have nothing against "be well" but I feel that a lot of the time there are more appropriate things to say to a customer.

Optimus1
11/01/14 7:01 am

I see your point on this. Understandably true.