PartyFree October 31st, 2014 4:08am

Have you formed your opinion on the Common Core standards by reading the standards for yourself, or have you formed your opinion from what is reported in the media?

Spartacus AUSTIN
10/31/14 8:30 am

I also listened to my sister as she is a teacher and has first hand experience with it.

corino Utah
10/31/14 8:22 am

Sadly what I see in the media is a bunch of people who can't do the math I was taught in second grade.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/31/14 7:35 am

I have read a lot about the standards, but have only read through a few of the actual standards. Those seem very reasonable. The excellent site corestandards.org answers every question a parent or student might have about the them.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/31/14 10:13 am

Either I'm an idiot or something, because that confused the hell out of me. And it explained nothing about Special Ed students. Typical. SMH

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/31/14 10:41 am

I don't think Common Core standards are intended to apply to Special Ed students, but that may vary state to state. My state does a good job of clarifying it here:
www.k12.wa.us/SpecialEd/pubdocs/CC_Instruction_SpEd.pdf

BrittneyBunny Maryland
10/31/14 6:33 am

I formed my own opinion. I was about to graduate as an elementary school teacher but sitting in a classroom, helping teachers teach common core (and have a hard time), and watching students struggle made me completely change my mind.

s4mm1 MD SLP
10/31/14 6:21 am

Common core isn't bad per se, it's the way it's being implemented is mind boglingly stupid.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/31/14 11:40 am

Agreed!!! The implementation is incredibly frustrating.

dxstap Bloomington, Indiana
10/31/14 5:24 am

My opinion is that I don't have an opinion.
I don't even know what Common Core is. From the sound of it I'm guessing it's the next new standards for education.

LordAF
10/31/14 3:55 am

I have seen simple images of the crap in common core, and also heard teacher's opinions.
It sucks
The math makes no sense ("make 10 from 5+8"), and the social studies is indoctrination/brainwashing.

LordAF
10/31/14 3:57 am

If you don't believe me on the second part, here is a quote from a CC textbook:
"The second amendment was created so we would not be British, who wanted to take guns."
It also includes things about "why is government always right?" and that crap. :'/

cowboy Doors of Perception
10/31/14 1:11 am

It's a ridiculous idea. This is what happens when there's a basketball player heading the DoE.

leilu SoCal
10/30/14 10:08 pm

I haven't yet experienced Common Core but my sister is a teacher and I've learned from her.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 9:41 pm

Most people want to say they formed them on their own, but reading a Fox News/MSNBC article on common core is not on your own.

Then again no one wants to say they did. I was honest and said media. I learned about it on here, so social media.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 9:42 pm

But I was going to hit on my own until I thought about it. Really unless you read about common core on a govt website, you've just read the media and are at least partial to one view if you read the article.

zuko on deck
10/31/14 5:44 am

I voted media, also...mostly social media sites where people discuss them. I am embarrassingly ignorant about them.

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 9:34 pm

I haven't read the standards myself, so I've gotten all I know from the media. However, I don't buy the trashing of it that I've seen in some "news" reports. And the math stuff that I've seen torn apart in some articles - I get it; I really get why

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 9:36 pm

they're teaching it that way - at least for the couple of examples I've seen. Maybe that's because I was taught with a math curriculum that was considered experimental at the time, but it just seems to me to provide *understanding* of concepts rather

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 9:37 pm

than solely rote repetition.

I've also seen a video or two that was edited to make it seem something was being claimed that just wasn't true (the "it's fine to teach kids that 4 + 2 = 10" or some such crap). If you watch the whole thing, the video

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 9:39 pm

has been manipulated to make it sound as if Common Core teaches that any old answer is OK, which wasn't true in context.

This kind of misunderstanding, & then deliberate twisting of facts just to make liberals look like idiots, makes me lean

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 9:40 pm

toward supporting it, even though I really don't know much about it. So that's a *very* qualified answer.

imanag My heaven on Earth
10/30/14 9:22 pm

Common Core confusion kept my tutoring business full to the brink in NC. Parents kept asking me for interpretations & the kids were even more confused adapting to the new curriculum. From what I've seen across grades & subjects, I'm not impressed.

Wink
10/30/14 9:18 pm

I had no opinion on the Common Core until my child was in Kindergarten bringing home what I considered ridiculous homework. I quickly became an unfan. It's not so much the benchmarks that I disagree with, but the way it's taught--particularly math.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/30/14 9:12 pm

Based on comments I've seen both here and on Facebook, I suspect that most people formed their opinion of the Common Core standards based on what they hear in the media. I'd love for this poll to prove me wrong, as I believe every parent should read

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/30/14 9:13 pm

their state's standards so they know what their kids are supposed to be learning in school in a given year.

chinito Florida
10/30/14 9:17 pm

I send my kids to a private school because I believe the level is much higher there. They are way more advanced from what common core dictates.