Praetorianus October 31st, 2014 4:08am

If you were the autocratic ruler of a small nation whose population has a mindset comparable to the US except they accept a monarchy, do you think the majority would be satisfied with the way you govern?

Fjolsvin Midgard
10/31/14 7:33 am

My first act as monarch would be to dissolve the government and abdicate. I will not rule any man but myself.

sojourner present
10/31/14 6:12 am

Here's an amendment then. The govt will fund these hsa's. A family of 4 gets $22,000, individuals get $5,000. Best estimate for what it would cost to get complete coverage with reasonable deductibles. This gets us close to universal coverage.

sojourner present
11/01/14 4:45 am

It was for the SoH congress.

TierasPet
10/31/14 5:52 am

Umm, maybe but I sure wouldn't want the job.

sojourner present
10/31/14 5:51 am

I don't think they'd be happy. If they have a mindset similar to ours, we are never happy with our leaders. Why expect anything different from them?!

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
10/31/14 4:48 am

All those who opposed me would have already "volunteered" for re-education...

And by re-education, I mean deported...

And by deported, I mean imprisioned...

And by Imprisioned, I mean shot.

Injectable Trump Killed Babbitt
10/30/14 11:04 pm

They're happy or they dissapear.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:16 pm

I would offer a pamphlet for every decision explaining it in detail so the media has a harder time B.S.ing it.

I would also be a monarch only when the congress I create needs a deciding vote. I'd have at least 6 parties to represent them.

GubraLagima Tramp 2016
10/30/14 10:01 pm

No. The American mindset is too Conservative for the people to be happy under my rule, even as things get better.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:51 pm

Gubra you need to move to Europe. I am when I get the money.

Let me put it like this, the UK the closest to us in Europe. The liberals and Centre-Conservatives had to form a coalition against Labour (Socialist) and other socialist parties.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:52 pm

Further than centre-right wingers hold extremely few seats.

Also the European Union parliament is almost all socialist. Conservatives hold I believe less than 40% of the seats.

GubraLagima Tramp 2016
10/30/14 10:56 pm

I don't know if I want to move to Europe just yet. The far-right movements that are gaining traction make me nervous

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:56 pm

Oops my mistake the right wing only holds 10% of the 740 seats. Though, the EPP is "Liberal conservative" and the rest are all on the left wing spectrum:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:57 pm

Well to our advantage, they're no longer laughing at our far right wing movements anymore because they're laughing at their own. They're mostly pissed that all of the refugees are coming in and it's turning more right wingers :/

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/31/14 5:27 am

@rotavele: most European left wing parties such as labour or the German SPD are social democrats, not socialists, there isn't the ideological overhead of true socialism. If more Americans saw that, it wouldn't have such a bad reputation around here.

GubraLagima Tramp 2016
10/31/14 8:51 am

The average American would look at the policies of a social democrat and cry socialism. Nobody knows the difference here.

Spartacus AUSTIN
10/30/14 9:30 pm

Yeah sure I would be an awesome ruler.

l1f2
10/30/14 9:23 pm

I'd hope so. I'm more of a foundation builder, mostly hands off. I like to think of a government as an enabler for the people's progress. I can't really make them happy, only try and make the conditions for happiness available and accessible.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/30/14 9:41 pm

Probably a rule that isn't too strict and at the same time rather moderate/centrist might do the job.

l1f2
10/30/14 9:48 pm

Yeah I figure the only really hardcore stances of a policy like that would be education, global competition, and personal and national independence.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/30/14 9:10 pm

There would be a revolution. I'd allow too much, from all drugs legal to no speed limits but put draconic punishments on the slightest hint at violence, even spanking would be outlawed. Add no unions and unregulated free market.