BdawgN October 30th, 2014 11:38pm

My grandparents are always afraid that I will get hurt when I go out on a walk( I walk around most everywhere) because they say "there are so many damn crazy freaks now". Is this true or is just that with mass media everyone is out there to know?

persuader
11/01/14 7:55 am

Depends on where you are.

BdawgN Lost in my mind
11/01/14 9:00 am

Upper middle class suburban area

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/14 6:47 am

There have been crazy freaks since the beginning. Nothing new.

catpillow Florida West Coast
10/31/14 8:32 pm

I'd listen to them, but you have to make your own decision. Best to look like you have nothing to steal and possibly are a little crazy yourself. Be safe.

gjb2779
10/31/14 4:03 pm

Crime rates have been declining consistently for a while now, it's just the media being ridiculous as usual.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/31/14 2:01 pm

It's smart to pay attention, but people are no worse than they've always been, and my bet is your risk is no higher. Look how far crazy the media and politicians went (and because of them a few ordinary people too) over exactly ONE case of ebola.

ScrewU Gone
10/31/14 3:00 pm

You mean 8 cases if Ebola, right?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/31/14 4:09 pm

Nope, just the one, at last report. The few other cases have been fully resolved.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/31/14 4:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that is exactly how many cases there were in the whole country the day we decided to lock up and harass a citizen for being a perfectly healthy nurse. And by we, I mean a handful of politicians looking to get promoted.

ScrewU Gone
11/01/14 11:31 am

Three health care workers that were brought back from Africa to be treated here, two that contracted it from the patient who brought it to the US, one doctor who brought it to the US and a child who contracted it here. That's eight patients.

ScrewU Gone
11/01/14 11:36 am

I had some training on infectious diseases when we were bracing for the possibility of bird flu coming here. By CDC policy one case of Ebola in the US was to be treated as an outbreak.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/14 11:54 am

My point was that there was exactly one active case of Ebola in the entire country when they decided to lock up a healthy person. The total number of cases in history is meaningful only to note that NONE of those was contracted by casual contact.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/14 12:01 pm

I haven't heard and can't find any reports about a child contracting it here. There was one in NY who was a suspected case, about a week ago and subsequently cleared, who had travelled here from one of the countries in West Africa.

ScrewU Gone
11/01/14 12:11 pm

I was wondering if the kid had been cleared. Thanks.

There are still significant gaps in our knowledge of the disease, and this particularly virulent strain to be confident that it can't be passed by casual contact (just because it hasn't yet).

ScrewU Gone
11/01/14 12:14 pm

Several scientists have made the argument that it CAN be passed through the air, and others have concluded that carriers are contagious well before they start showing symptoms. Personally, I think we should be taking every precaution.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/01/14 10:59 pm

3Gun, I haven't heard any reputable scientific reports for either of those claims. Do you have a specific link?

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 8:26 am

From the Healthmap link: "First and foremost, Ebola is not suddenly an airborne disease." ... "because human Ebola outbreaks have historically been locally contained, it is unlikely that Ebola can spread between humans via airborne transmission."

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 8:27 am

About Natural News: "The site strongly criticizes drugs-and-surgery medicine, vaccines, corporate corruption, animal testing, the use of humans for medical experiments, the chemical contamination of foods,..." Credibility=ZERO

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/02/14 8:27 am

WND suggests because SOME viruses may be spread by a symptomatic individuals, Ebola must be as well, because it's a virus. The evidence that is not the case or is very unlikely is that it hasn't. There would be thousands of cases, not just the one.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/02/14 8:51 am

Thanks, Zod! I had come to the exact same conclusions about the contents of those three sites. I didn't have a chance to type them yet.

The best evidence is that none of the following people have become sick: the family of Thomas Duncan, the ...

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/02/14 8:54 am

... other people who shared the emergency room with him when the Texas hospital left him unisolated; casual contacts of Amber Vinson, such as people who rode on the same airplane and people who shopped at the bridal store.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
11/02/14 8:57 am

If any of that stuff were true, we would have a spreading epidemic by now, as Zod says, instead of the one new case.

Look at what actually happens, not what some scare site says MIGHT happen, with no real evidence.

ScrewU Gone
11/02/14 9:33 am

That was exactly my point. We can't wait until thousands are infected to find out that the virus has mutated. Quarantine is about being AHEAD of the virus, not reacting to it.

Fox semirural
10/31/14 1:25 pm

One cannot live in fear, although sensible caution is always advisable...

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/31/14 12:58 pm

One night when I couldn't sleep I thought I might get up and go for a little walk. But I decided probably not. Murder happened about a block from here about that same time. And the guy took off on a run. It's a good thing I wasn't out walking.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/31/14 12:57 pm

Actually think they're more crazy people than there used to be. Sick people feed off of media like television and movies also using drugs like methamphetamine really screws up peoples minds. And grandparents tend to worry.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
10/30/14 7:00 pm

Haha I live in an upscale urban neighborhood. Yes, crazies come here to mug people, but I feel completely comfortable walking around (even at night). You're not alone. Older family who remember not-so-safe times here worry about me constantly.

RVA Uptown, Fan District, RVA
10/30/14 7:01 pm

You just have to use your head and stay on proper streets. Disclaimer: I am a man, and I do not have the same policy with my friends who are women. I call them cabs or walk them home.

TierasPet
10/30/14 6:28 pm

I think the number of freaks depends somewhat on the area you live in. There definitely are quite a few in some of the areas near here.

EarlyBird Portland
10/30/14 6:02 pm

There are crazy freaks out there!

EarlyBird Portland
10/31/14 2:54 pm

Speaking of crazy freaks.. :-)

R3dzombi3 Space, probably
10/30/14 5:52 pm

There have always been crazy freaks. We just hear about them a lot more now.

imanag My heaven on Earth
10/30/14 5:05 pm

I think your grandparents are right. There are more freaks. I used to think my parents were nuts for saying that I couldn't date until I'd passed a yellow belt in karate. Now I'm grateful. I have used the self-defense. It's nice that they care.

missmorganmarie ...
10/31/14 8:20 am

That's an interesting take on dating. I like it. how long did it take you to do?

imanag My heaven on Earth
10/31/14 8:29 am

It's been many years. I know they had me start when I was 15 so I could date when I turned 16. I'm pretty sure it was months.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/30/14 5:05 pm

Crime rates have dropped significantly over the last few decades. According to the statistics, it's actually safer in most places now than it was 20 to 30 yrs ago.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 4:45 pm

It's natural human reaction/instinct. If you hear that the first murder ever in Exampleville happened last night, you're likely just a bit more uneasy than normal.