TopsQueen October 30th, 2014 5:06pm

Some of the most venomous anti gay people I know are not people of faith. I don't think it is fair that just one group gets labeled as haters. Do you agree?

ChiveDaily
10/30/14 7:29 pm

Im christian and I support gay marriage

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 7:15 pm

For every atheist who is rabidly anti-LGBT I can likely find thousands of anti-LGBT people of faith.

And that could very easily be underestimating the ratio, especially world wide.

kermie gaytopia
10/30/14 10:54 pm

Truth.

But we're supposed to tiptoe around and pretend that's not true?

HappyLez No Worries... Be Happy
10/30/14 6:33 pm

Tea Party people.... Most scary

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 6:24 pm

So many people, particularly Christians, use the faith to put down gays. I am a Christian and am heartbroken to see the word of God so blatantly misinterpreted and incorrectly taken by people of my same faith. I can't stand it when people say that

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 6:25 pm

We're all like the Westboro baptist church. We are not. We are also not taught to think or act anything near close to them. As Christians, we should love all people and note that the act of sexually practicing homosexuality is a sin, is not some

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 6:27 pm

"Special" or "high level" sin at all. It can be forgiven through Christ.

But people, who are even Christians, will bend and twist it to continues to make all people of faith (particularly Christians) look bad because of their misinterpretations.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 8:22 pm

See, I prefer the honest bigotry of Westboro to what you've just stated.

From where you're standing, you don't see them as being close to you.

From where I stand in the LGBT community, you're not very different.

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 11:57 am

You know what doesn't help, though: When someone speaks out for all Christians (or at least they seem to think that's what they're doing) & condemns homosexuality. Most people can see past that & know that person doesn't speak for everyone, but

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 12:00 pm

some don't.

kermie gaytopia
10/30/14 11:00 pm

To compound that, the Christians who don't believe that don't speak out against the Christians speaking for them.

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 11:43 am

I don't even see that happening so much, or maybe I just discount it as absurd. I see some people making idiotic statement about whole groups, such as Christians hate gays (although honestly, not often for that one), or liberals are morons, or

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 11:45 am

Muslims want to kill anyone who isn't a Muslim, or liberals want to take your guns away... And I know NONE of those statements are true, so I just mentally file anyone who says stuff like that in a folder labeled "ignorant or hate-filled." I know

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 11:48 am

plenty of atheists who are opposed to abortion, plenty of liberals who own guns, etc...

However, I think that *almost* all the anti-gay people I know are also religious, but by no means are all the *religious* people I know anti-gay.

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 11:50 am

So... I do think there's a strong connection, but it isn't something that all religious people think, by a long shot. And it's wrong to stereotype & condemn religious groups for that.

drunk ill be Bach
10/30/14 11:41 am

Well... I agree with your poll question, but I'm racking my brain trying to think of any anti-gay person I've ever met who's view isn't based in religion... And I'm drawing a blank. Can you provide an example of what their anti-gay argument would be?

drunk ill be Bach
10/30/14 11:42 am

Besides something silly like "it's gross"?

krayzewolf New Hampshire
10/30/14 11:43 am

This. I would also love some examples.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 11:57 am

I know several people through friends who are very anti-gay. They use the F word to describe gays. But their own moral standards are far from biblical.

drunk ill be Bach
10/30/14 12:00 pm

So really they are just nothing more than homophobic?

drunk ill be Bach
10/30/14 12:01 pm

Their view is based in hatred or possibly fear?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 1:38 pm

I would say basically they're quite uneducated.

droo Santa Barbara
10/30/14 11:16 am

Agree with the latter assertion. The former.... wtf?

krayzewolf New Hampshire
10/30/14 10:47 am

Weird. Because most of the anti gay rhetoric I see and hear do come from people of "faith".

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:39 am

I think God supports two people in love more than he would the people hating those two people in love.

TierasPet
10/30/14 10:41 am

I agree.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 10:41 am

And extremely well stated comment :-)

teppofan Rt. 66 Hackberry, AZ
10/30/14 10:11 am

I also find that most of the Christians I know don't hate gays. We disagree with the lifestyle. It is a miss-characterization to label anyone a "hater" simply because they disagree.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 10:22 am

I don't think people that disagree as we are haters but there are certainly people that hate gays. And the ones I know that do are not Christians.

silva
10/30/14 3:40 pm

"Lifestyle?" What does that even mean? LGBT people are normal folks just like you and most of them live fairly ordinary lives.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 10:07 am

Of course I agree it was my quest. However I think the Christians and other people of faith who are against them are very very guilty and the blood I was on their hands also when I gave person is beaten and attacked. Outside explain to a dear

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/30/14 10:07 am

Christian friend if Christians publicly hate somebody it's makes it more okay for the nonbelievers to hate this group also and beat them up for other things that are done to gaze just for the sheer hatred of it.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/30/14 10:54 am

Thank you for this question! I agree with what you've said with one exception: blood is not on the hands of anybody except the people doing the act you refer to. That's like being told I owe reparations to a group because I have white ancestors.