trepidhickory October 30th, 2014 3:32pm

Apple CEO Tim Cook just came out as homosexual. Does this alter your perception of Apple in a Positive/neutral way or a negative way?

Reeze The TARDIS
10/31/14 6:19 pm

I couldn't care less. Also, it was already a known fact.

grizzy Kansas
10/30/14 6:42 pm

I does not affect me, my opinion or my consumer habits one bit. I like apple, and I buy from then, and Tim cook's sexual orientation makes no difference.

TomM
10/30/14 6:31 pm

I'm just curious if some religious people will boycott the GayPhone.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
10/30/14 6:17 pm

He didn't come out. He's always been gay.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
10/30/14 6:27 pm

He was asked a question and he answered it.

jvc1133 61535
10/30/14 5:42 pm

It does not impact my value of my I/phone or I/pad, less contagious than Ebola.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/30/14 5:01 pm

Good for him. But, it has zero affect on my opinion of Apple.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/30/14 4:25 pm

No change. I don't see it as relevant at all on a business level. On a personal level, those closest to him are probably extra proud and supportive of him right now.

dventola98 CMU
10/30/14 4:13 pm

Apple sucks as a company who works there don't affect my view of the company

NikkiKitti47
10/30/14 3:59 pm

Apple is still Apple but I give him credit for coming out.

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
10/30/14 4:28 pm

I have never understood this. Why should someone get "credit for coming out".
I really don't care what he or anyone else enjoys doing in private.

10/30/14 5:21 pm

Because it helps end the stigma against homosexuals and when people who are currently in the closet see this it may help them come out as well

davidwhite1 Building it Bigger
10/30/14 6:03 pm

How? You think that high profile people coming out are going to change the minds of bigots?
I believe the majority of people just don't care either way. And see publicly coming out as a publicity stunt.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 6:24 pm

David, I really could not care any less about the bigots of the world.

I care about the thirteen year old kid being told by the bigots around them that the LGBT community is less,

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 6:25 pm

who can then look at Tim Cook and know with certainty that they are not diseased.

The more people we can put out there and normalize the LGBT community, the less likely it is that we will

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 6:26 pm

continue to find much higher than average rates of suicide amongst LGBT youth.

If Cook coming out means one LGBT kid can look at him and identify themselves positively with Cook, it's a win.

missmorganmarie ...
10/30/14 12:57 pm

who didn't know he was gay???

this isn't news

10/30/14 3:37 pm

He's the first openly gay fortune 500 ceo

that's news

pateach2 love my son
10/30/14 12:57 pm

Why would this have ANYTHING to do with the way I view Apple?

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 12:17 pm

Most people in the industry already knew he was gay. I do appreciate his reasoning for the public statement, though. I thought his reasons for coming out publicly were thoughtful and laudable.

jvberg Winter has Come
10/30/14 11:35 am

Neutral, I still think they make shitty products

Saphira
10/30/14 11:16 am

Lol of course Texas is purple.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/30/14 11:05 am

I don't understand "coming out" in this era of acceptance. I think people should just be who they are, no announcements needed.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 12:18 pm

He explained his reasons in his announcement. It wasn't a secret, it just wasn't something he previously talked about publicly. He made the announcement because, sadly, there ARE still places and people who are not accepting of it.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/30/14 3:33 pm

I don't see how announcing it would change how anyone feels about it.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:53 pm

That makes sense. It isn't something that we straight folks intuitively relate to. But a number of my gay friends and family have helped me understand this. Basically, if you're struggling with your sexual identity because you happen to be in a

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:55 pm

community that isn't accepting of it, that's probably a community that also doesn't have a lot of reference points when it comes to being gay. You're less likely to have a respected town doctor who's gay, or a local business owner who's gay, etc. So

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:55 pm

it can feel extremely isolating and intimidating when there are no reference points from which you could judge the reaction of your loved ones if they learned about you. Whereas you probably have a handle on what your parents/etc. think about someone

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:56 pm

like Ellen DeGeneres, or Anderson Cooper, or Tim Cook. And maybe your parents really respect Cook because he's a successful businessman, they love Apple products, whatever. And if Tim Cook is gay, and they still love Apple, maybe today you feel just

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:57 pm

that tiny little ounce more comfortable than yesterday. Your parents know Tim Cook's gay, and they still use their iPhones. Maybe you don't have to be absolutely terrified they will totally disown you.

I know it's a really small thing, but if it

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 3:58 pm

helps even a couple young kids feel a little bit stronger and less filled with anxiety, that's got to be a good thing, right? And I think that's why he did it, and that's why I respect it.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/30/14 6:28 pm

Thank you, Bethany.

Can I get that tattooed on my arm? You have a way with words.

eLucidate writing
10/30/14 9:45 am

Good for him.

10/30/14 9:16 am

I'm sure all of the homosexual people who are too afraid to come out give a shit that someone like Mr. Cook was brave enough to come out.

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
10/30/14 9:27 am

If they're still afraid they're morons and only harming the gay rights movement by not being counted.

10/30/14 9:33 am

Yeah they're morons because they re afraid to come out when so many idiots will talk about how they are going to hell.

They still aren't allowed to get married in most states, there is still a negative stigma.

10/30/14 9:36 am

If someone tells anyone they're going to hell for (fill in the blank), then tell them to go to hell... Stop with this "oh woe was me" crap and grow a set!

10/30/14 9:38 am

Dude parents kick their kids out for being gay where I live. One kid in middle school was harassed just because he talked like he was gay.

There is still a negative stigma

10/30/14 9:40 am

Only because stupid people allow it to thrive. Man the fuck up.

10/30/14 9:43 am

That's easy for you to say, there is no negative stigma against heterosexuals

10/30/14 9:44 am

Stop making excuses for people who choose to stay victims. Stop giving a shit about what people think about you and live your life.

10/30/14 9:50 am

You don't know their situation, there is a negative stigma and it is easier to just not cone out than it is to deal with bullying and having people hate your lifestyle

10/30/14 9:53 am

Stop "dealing with it." Everything you're saying is an excuse. "Wah wah wah! My pussy hurts!" Grow up! No one cares if you're a homo. And if anyone does care that you're a homo, then you ought not care that they care.

10/30/14 9:56 am

These people are being bullied man, people are hated by their family. they aren't even given the right to marry the person they love.

it's so easy for you or me to say they need to not care when you don't have to put up with that

10/30/14 10:00 am

I was bullied for being too fat, too smart, too sensitive, too (fill in the blank) for years. I can't even tell you how many times I was called a faggot or queer and I'm not even gay! I didn't let it bother me.

10/30/14 10:00 am

Stop making excuses and man the fuck up.

10/30/14 10:03 am

I was bullied for being Hispanic ic and catholic and was jumped because I wasn't protestant

but whatever

you said no one cares and I said many people care can we just agree that you were wrong on that statement

10/30/14 10:05 am

The VAST majority of people I have interacted with throughout my life did not bully me. Just like the VAST majority of people don't care that you're Hispanic. Yeah, in life there will always be a guy who wants to be an asshole. Stop making excuses!!!

10/30/14 10:09 am

Dude we agree to disagree, you obviously have no empathy with how these people may be feeling, I obviously am making excuses for them.

But you need to admit your initial statement was wrong

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:45 am

Yes here in Alabama they love the gays! Especially when they're hanging from trees!

Very accepting here. No need to admit your gay!

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 10:47 am

You'd also think someone that was bullied would be a real man and defend the people bullied, not become one himself. For shame, Derek. You should man the fuck up and not conform with society because you're too weak to stand up.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 11:14 am

I don't know.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 12:20 pm

So Derek, if a 14-year-old kid's parents kick him out of the house because he's gay, how many more testicles does he need to grow to make them take him back in?

10/30/14 12:23 pm

Those are called shitty parents.... And kids get kicked out for all sorts of reasons.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 12:23 pm

Well considering Derek is only wanting to talk to man with bigger male anatomy, I am not so sure about this convo anymore.

Rotavele Alabama
10/30/14 12:24 pm

What reasons beside being 18?

10/30/14 12:30 pm

Fill in the blank. Shitty parents do shitty things to good kids sometimes for no reason other than the fact that they're shitty parents. No good parent would excommunicate their kid for being homo.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 1:14 pm

Sure, they're shitty parents. So? Does the fact that other people have shitty parents too mean that this CHILD who has been left to fend for himself for no good reason therefore has no right to have any negative feelings about how he's been treated?

10/30/14 1:20 pm

You know as well as I that if parents send a child to fend for themselves, for whatever reason, their asses will get slammed by their community as well as law enforcement.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/30/14 1:26 pm

Only if someone makes a stink about it, which you've been suggesting here is somehow unmanly, or something.

10/30/14 1:27 pm

This is a stupid debate..... Honestly...

Rocker saved by grace
10/30/14 9:02 am

It doesn't help, but I don't like Apple much anyway

GlockMan1 Alabama
10/30/14 8:55 am

It does not alter my view of Apple and their products. I am not going to boycott them like many liberals did Hobby Lobby. I hate it for Mr. Cook that He has embraced a SIN God has deemed an ABOMINATION. Eternity is a long time to regret bad decisions

10/30/14 9:03 am

I love that he feels comfortable enough to come out nationally.

10/30/14 10:08 am

In the eyes of God, every sin is equally condemnable and equally forgivable. If being homo is a sin, then it is equally condemnable as you lying. Stop condemning people Glock. It's not YOUR job.

GlockMan1 Alabama
10/30/14 11:10 am

I have condemned no one. I am simply pointed out what God has deemed an Abomination. Don't kill the messenger because you don't like the message.

10/30/14 11:12 am

It is no more of a sin than any other. Therefore there is no need to point it out.

TierasPet
10/30/14 8:46 am

It doesn't alter my perception of him at all. Good for him for coming out though. There's no reason to be ashamed of your sexual preferences and I'm glad he's not.

MrMilkdud
10/30/14 8:37 am

I thought he came out years ago.
I don't think his ability to run a major company has anything to do with the fact that he likes guys.

Cole12 ...
10/30/14 8:52 am

He was never out publicly - most people knew though. I was watching CNBC that day when Simon Hobbs accidentally outed him...that was an awkward moment, haha.

Cole12 ...
10/30/14 8:35 am

Positive. When famous or powerful people come out of the closet, they decrease the negative stigma homosexuality has in our culture and have an effect on making society more accepting.

10/30/14 8:35 am

I wonder how intolerant bigots who own iPhone feel about this

GlockMan1 Alabama
10/30/14 8:57 am

How INTOLERANT were you of Hobby Lobby and Chic Fil A when they won their cases?

10/30/14 8:59 am

They're a business they can be as stupid as they want to be

I still eat their chicken

and I never liked hobby lobby but I'm not actively boycotting them

GlockMan1 Alabama
10/30/14 9:17 am

Same with Christians and APPLE. We hate it that such a powerful individual has such skewed beliefs that He would erroneously proclaim God made him that way. Perhaps he should spend more time in THE WORD than on his iPhone.

10/30/14 9:20 am

Perhaps you should spend more time worrying about yourself and not who he loves.

Before you say you don't care, you just said you hate that he has "skewed beliefs".