Mattwall1 October 30th, 2014 2:02pm

It does not matter whether the minimum wage was meant to be a living wage or not if the economic conditions surrounding it have changed drastically from when it started.

ozzy
10/30/14 6:42 pm

There should be NO federal minimum wage. The states can do as they wish

sojourner present
10/30/14 11:59 am

I think we need to look at the policy goal establishing a min. wage was supposed to address. Do we still believe in that policy goal? It's not the current circumstances that drive it, it should be what we are hoping to accomplish with it.

TheCameron UCF
10/30/14 11:20 am

Origins should be considered but yes if drastic changes have happened what matters will also change.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/30/14 11:12 am

I doesn't matter anyway. Prohibiting people from working because you don't like their wage is just arrogant and wrong.

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
10/30/14 11:25 am

Exploitation is the cornerstone of capitalism.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/30/14 11:26 am

Cool story...?

thatguy2 We tried to warn you
10/30/14 11:30 am

Not all that cool but true nonetheless.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/30/14 10:50 am

Not really. The minimum wage has always been just that, and it was never, at least in my lifetime, a "living wage". Things were cheaper in the early 70s when I started working full time, but the minimum wage then didn't go any farther than today's.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/30/14 10:51 am

People, at least the ones like me working for minimum wage, then did what people working for minimum wage have always done to get by - work two jobs.

Joshua77 Jesus is Lord
10/30/14 7:40 am

A living wage as a minimum wage is a ridiculous concept. Advocating that a person has the right to sell his labor above market value, but buy the goods and services produced by others at market value, is hypocritical at best, and pure theft at worst.

Mattwall1
10/30/14 8:02 am

That's still a different argument than the minimum wage shouldn't be a living wage because when it was designed it wasn't meant to be a living wage, which is the argument the question is referencing

Joshua77 Jesus is Lord
10/30/14 8:04 am

True, and I agreed with your poll.

political Georgia
10/30/14 7:38 am

Ummm...Not all jobs are meant for you to be able to live off of. For example, my job at the local tennis complex is not meant for me to make a living off of, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Mattwall1
10/30/14 8:04 am

That's not the argument the poll is talking about though. The argument of "making it a living wage is wrong because when the minimum wage law was passed it wasn't meant to be a living wage." Argument is what the poll is referencing.

kermie gaytopia
10/30/14 7:20 am

I almost never care what something was "meant to be." Why can't it be something different now?

Mattwall1
10/30/14 7:29 am

I'm forgetting who it was, I THINK it was Han Fei but I know it was one of the chinese legalists fighting Confucianism, compared the Confucian attitude of what worked before absolutely will again to a farmer who sees a rabbit charge straight into a

Mattwall1
10/30/14 7:38 am

Tee stump and dies, giving the farmer a good dinner. The farmer decided to not farm though, because obviously more rabbits will come back and give him a meal. Alas, he dies of starvation in the name of what happened before absolutely shall again.

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
10/30/14 1:46 pm

That is a perfect analogy of unemployment benefits.