Jack14 October 30th, 2014 1:20am

Two Taunton, MA teenagers have been suspended from Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School after they posted a photo on in which they were holding pellet guns with the caption 'Homecoming 2014'. Good call?

Reeze The TARDIS
10/30/14 4:05 am

They said that they wanted their picture to be representative of what they like to do in their free time- shoot airsoft guns at a range. Suspension is a complete overreaction, and no harm was done in taking this picture.

brenstal Florida
10/30/14 3:01 am

Suspension is kind of harsh, but that is a threatening thing to do. They must have known what the implications of that photo was. They probably should have just been banned from the dance and forced to write an essay about how it was inappropriate.

AKYF
10/30/14 3:50 am

"Velez allegedly told one news outlet he and his girlfriend simply wanted to 'do something unique and different instead of using flowers like everyone else.'"
No threat was even intended, and now the school is holding hearings to get them expelled.

brenstal Florida
10/30/14 6:11 am

See, they say that now that it's become a thing. But they are 16 years old, and I really doubt they honestly didn't know the implications of what they were posting. They weren't posing in a funny way with the guns.

brenstal Florida
10/30/14 6:15 am

I think it was meant as a school shooting joke. Like, lol look out Homecoming 2014. Especially with Halloween coming up, its a cheeky, teenagery thing to do. Like I said, I really don't think they deserve expulsion.

lip massholevania
10/30/14 2:48 am

After the lawsuits settle down, how much do you think they are gonna have to raise taxes?

Liberty 4,032,064
10/29/14 8:24 pm

That's such a cute picture. Whatever nutjob at the school made that decision either just has a grudge against one of them for something or needs mental help.

AKYF
10/29/14 8:01 pm

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/29/14 6:28 pm

Of course not. The school has no business having anything to do with kid's Facebook posts.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/29/14 6:30 pm

If what they were positing was illegal or threatened anyone, thats one thing. But what they did was 100% legal and within their rights.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/29/14 6:32 pm

And even if it was illegal, which it was not, their school shouldn't have anything to do with handling it. That is what Due Process Of Law is for.

dawl adulting
10/29/14 6:49 pm

I have to disagree. The post is about homecoming which is a school event.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/29/14 7:21 pm

Was any individual threatened? Anyone at all? No.

dawl adulting
10/29/14 8:32 pm

It doesn't matter to me if a direct threat was made, the picture implies it. That has to be the DUMBEST thing a student can do these days with the prevalence of school shootings.

lip massholevania
10/30/14 2:47 am

After tapdancing all over the school officials, number one I'd sue the school, then the local pd for questioning my kids without me present.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 2:49 am

Lip, exactly!

lip massholevania
10/30/14 3:43 am

My son has a photo of him shooting s 1919 belt fed machine gun at a shoot last summer. Should I be worried Lols.

AKYF
10/30/14 3:48 am

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 4:02 am

That's disgusting.

AKYF
10/30/14 4:05 am

AFly, are you referring to the fact that the school wants them expelled, or the kids' reasoning behind the picture? Those were their words, not mine in the quote.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 4:07 am

The school. The picture is great, good for them.

RepMorris Pennsylvania
10/30/14 4:08 am

Expulsion is absurd.

AKYF
10/30/14 4:11 am

Yeah, I don't see why they should ruin their lives over a photo, especially since they explained themselves and were not threatening the school.

dawl adulting
10/30/14 5:56 am

I agree they should not be expelled, and that no questioning should have taken place without the parents. However in the wake of yet another school shooting, they absolutely should have taken this seriously. Temp suspension while questioning is fine.

AKYF
10/30/14 6:07 am

Ok, but they should be let back in now that they've explained themselves and it's not a threat.

dawl adulting
10/30/14 6:21 am

Yes I agree - and I DO hope something is done about the mishandling of the questioning.

skinner Jersey City
10/29/14 6:22 pm

I saw that on Facebook. It's ridiculous and has become one of many instances in which school anti-gun policies have proven controversial.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/29/14 6:24 pm

Typical school administrators overreacting. Exhibit #2,347,253

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/29/14 6:22 pm

Link to story: m.tauntongazette.com/article/20141028/NEWS/141026120/?Start=1

This is my hometown and is getting some big headlines statewide.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/29/14 6:23 pm

I also noticed i have the word 'on' in the poll question that needs to be removed. I wont close the poll though.