Wink October 29th, 2014 12:30pm

I've seen different polls about beggars/panhandlers and whether people give them money. Yesterday I saw a pregnant lady panhandling. Would you give money to a pregnant panhandler?

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/29/14 1:13 pm

No. There are churches, charity organizations, not to mention Gov programs/organizations. I *will* buy food & give it to them sometimes. No cash, ever. Too many scam artists playing on ppl's sympathies these days. If one really in need, access above.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/29/14 1:13 pm

Yes, maybe, but only in a situation where I would have anyway, not because she is pregnant.

mrdudemanpants
10/29/14 12:55 pm

"Give a man a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime."

drunk ill be Bach
10/29/14 12:37 pm

I give money to beggars on a case-by-case basis. I'd guess that I give to 1 out of every 15-20. A pregnant lady, depending on her attitude, sounds like somebody I would be more inclined to give to.

Spartacus AUSTIN
10/29/14 12:11 pm

I won't give them money, but if they are hungry, I will buy them some food.

droo Santa Barbara
10/29/14 9:04 am

I usually buy panhandler's food. I'll go to the nearest McDonalds (yes I know it isn't healthy but it's something) or Subway, and just buy them a $5 meal. I never give money. Ever.

sojourner present
10/29/14 7:39 am

no I don't give money to panhandlers. I give to the local soup kitchen, a woman's shelter, the United way and my church. these organizations are better suited to address these issues than me just handing her money

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/29/14 7:04 am

Just because woman is pregnant does not mean she does not abuse substances. I have worked with children that have been damaged Interuterine. I would but the meal. Or see if she can some form of assistance. I know were to network and get help.

RedDye40 Way Over Yonder
10/29/14 6:38 am

I would give her a list of community resources where she could find help for food, shelter (if needed) and prenatal care. I work with pregnant mothers and keep copies of the list in my car.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/29/14 7:04 am

Good for you very similar to what I said.

WildRice With a side of sass
10/29/14 6:20 am

I rarely have cash on me but I would be more than happy to buy her some food.

Pirate Uses the Tap
10/29/14 6:10 am

Yes, I would be happy to help her and others in need. I'm a good person.

bs75758 Michigan
10/29/14 5:53 am

I probably would. We have a bunch of panhandlers in our city and I'll give them a few bucks every now and then.

Wink
10/29/14 5:42 am

It was sad to see, but I did not give her any money, just as I would not give money to any panhandler.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/29/14 7:05 am

I think you did the right thing.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/29/14 5:33 am

I would buy her some groceries, but I don't give money to anyone who is not my child!