Joshie October 28th, 2014 11:29pm

Did you know what Ebola was before this epidemic?

Wes28 CBus
10/30/14 2:48 pm

You use the word "epidemic" loosely.
It's just another made-up crisis that allows our government to gain more power.

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 9:28 pm

I suspect he's referring to the situation in Africa, which is the largest epidemic of Ebola since it was first known in 1976.

At least, I hope so. It's most certainly *not* an epidemic in the US.

jvc1133 61535
10/30/14 10:11 am

I was aware but, avoided it on account of the truth I wanted to avoid.

lip massholevania
10/30/14 10:06 am

Read "The Hot Zone," by Richard Preston. The first US Ebola outbreak it'll scare the crap out of you, as well as how the cdc reacted.

susanr Colorado
10/28/14 4:38 pm

I've known about Ebola probably since the year it was discovered (1976). Also related viruses in the same area, Lassa & Marburg. I've read pretty extensively about it, including a section of Laurie Garrett's excellent book The Coming Plague (1994).

TigerShark47 Missouri
10/30/14 7:15 am

I am reading that book right now! Viruses fascinate me. I started it in June or so, but I don't have a lot of time to read, so I haven't gotten it finished yet.

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 7:51 am

It's such a long book! But it's so full of interesting stories. I listened to it on tapes when it first came out. I was in grad school at the time & never would have gotten through it if I'd had to sit & read - no time for that at all! I just

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 7:53 am

listened to it again (digital version this time) a month ago. (I also have a print copy & the ebook - I'm a bit obsessed with it!) Too bad it ends in the last century... I also have her Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public Health, which

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 7:56 am

for some reason I haven't gotten into... & even it was published in 2000.

But I follow her, & a few other good science journalists and/or epidemiologists on Twitter, who have been *very* helpful with level-headed information about the

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 8:07 am

current Ebola situation. They're having fits right now about the latest news: Scientists who have been in Ebola regions of Africa recently have been un-invited (by the state health dept) to a scientific conference in New Orleans about - get this -

susanr Colorado
10/30/14 8:09 am

tropical medicine. They were going to present information about the current situation.

Also, looking at Laurie Garrett's tweets just now, she's packing to leave for Liberia tonight.

TigerShark47 Missouri
10/30/14 9:29 am

I will have to go find her Twitter account. Any other books by her or other scientists you would recommend reading? I always thought being an epidemiologist would be an awesome job, but I don't want to away from family for extended periods of time.

susanr Colorado
11/01/14 9:30 pm

Oops, sorry, I forgot about this question from you. Let me take a look at my books & get back to you with a short list. I'll try to do it tomorrow.

One of my dream careers, when I was in high school or earler, was to be a CDC disease detective.