Show Of Hands January 13th, 2013 12:00am

Is being more stubborn than average a character flaw, or strength?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/20/13 6:50 am

It can be either, depending on where the stubbornness is focused. Stubbornly driving poorly, or stubbornly doing a bad job ain't great. But stubbornly resisting King Obama's dumbass agenda is highly admirable.

TideGal CFL
01/17/13 5:49 pm

Exactly what I was going to say.

TheRazzleDazz
01/16/13 6:35 pm

My stubbornness is good

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/16/13 7:43 am

depends on the situation

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/15/13 3:16 am

Thanks, susanr. "Persistent" was the first word to come to my mind, too!

AnnieM The Island
01/15/13 3:13 am

Those traits plus the natural tenacity he tried to encourage in me means that he said I was very difficult through my pre-teen & teen years, but it made me strong, (I'd like to think) smart, and maybe even wise.

AnnieM The Island
01/15/13 3:13 am

My dad encouraged that trait in me. He also taught me not to go with something just because authority tells you that you should, to question almost everything and to think for myself.

rb928 Northern Kentucky
01/15/13 1:04 am

My stubbornness is a strength. Others' stubbornness is a flaw ;-)

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 10:34 pm

..I was sure she'd become a lawyer when she grew up, but she didn't.

susanr Colorado
01/14/13 10:33 pm

I like tenacious, too. I think determined is a good runner-up, & I like Doopy's suggestions too. I lose! (Happily.) my daughter had this characteristic, whatever you call it, and she was masterful at arguing (in the sense of making a logical case for something, although not always pleasantly)...

kstodc
01/14/13 9:22 pm

There's a thin line between being stubborn and being pig-headed.

Bdog555
01/14/13 8:23 pm

both. depends on the situation

Ninjosh
01/14/13 10:27 am

What's average?

Goldiemol dry side of WA
01/14/13 7:18 am

I personally think that determined and persistent are starting to get a bad wrap. Tenacious is not overused and really fits her. I have found no other word to be quite as good to describe her. I also agree girls need to be more stubborn than boys.

cloudf4n Texas
01/14/13 6:39 am

I was just about to say the same thing, some stubbornness is a really good thing. It just depends how their stubbornness is used. But most likely to never give up is a major strength.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 6:33 am

I try and divide by ideology, rather than parties, but here's an example. Read paragraph 3:

cowboy Come on, man
01/14/13 6:21 am

Whoami Yes. When Liberals spout Communist ideas that have long proven to fail, yes it is a flaw.

cowboy Come on, man
01/14/13 6:19 am

Hals Yeah I know. The Liberal ideology is boring to listen to.

yepnope Maryland
01/14/13 6:18 am

Where did you find that? Was it a significant difference between the parties?

cowboy Come on, man
01/14/13 6:18 am

What did I say that was inaccurate gramps? Nothing. So call me an idiot and move on. Typical asshole Liberal that can't even face his own flawed ideology.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 6:10 am

Those correlations do not imply causation. When measured directly, conservatives have longer, more successful marriages.

yepnope Maryland
01/14/13 6:08 am

I couldn't really find any info I wanted on entrepreneurs and voting habits but the one article I found said it was just slightly more toward republicans. And this article says that the 5 reddest states have the highest divorce rates and 5 bluest states have the lowest divorce rates. Military is

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 5:21 am

My guess is they are entrepreneurs, and stuck to it when their businesses lost money in the first three years, but now turn a profit. Or they might be soldiers who just didn't quit in the toughest parts of training, and they're better for it. Or they stuck with their spouse when things got hard.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 5:16 am

It's probably better overall to never quit, even when you're wrong, than to quit easily.

outdoorgirl
01/14/13 5:11 am

Yes! Love to c someone encouraging their child's persistence! U r right, it will serve her very well, esp being a girl. Luckily she has u as a parent that recognizes the value in her persistence, and to teach her to c when it's getting in her way and how to use it to her advantage. :)

14573 Scary Numbers
01/14/13 5:09 am

My lawn is filled with pesky dragons :P

outdoorgirl
01/14/13 5:06 am

Bottom line is that persistence itself is not a flaw. Stubbornness sometimes happens when persistent people have trouble deciding when to let it go or that its making the situation worse. Persistence is the fight u have to pursue a dream, never give up, and fight til the end.

outdoorgirl
01/14/13 4:58 am

To get up until my mom finally called for help. Turns out his hip was broken in 3 places. My mom is schizophrenic and raised me as a single parent. She like her dad is very persistent. Her 'stubbornness' has gotten her through a lot of tough times. Likewise I am also persistent as is my 4 yr old son

outdoorgirl
01/14/13 4:54 am

I'm surprised at how many people c this as a flaw! I come from a long line of persistent people. Once when I was little my mom and I went to my grandpa's apt to find him sitting on the floor. He had fallen and couldn't get up. My mom wanted to call 911 but he insisted he was fine. Tried for 3 hrs.

freetobeme146
01/14/13 4:28 am

I've been told all my life that I'm stubborn as a mule and I can say that at times, it's my biggest flaw, but then there are times when it's a strength and things work out in my favor because of my stubbornness. So it's both. It depends on how you use it.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 4:11 am

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 4:07 am

That's kind of a subjective definition of the term.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 4:00 am

If it was transported back into the 1300s, we'd never have made it to the 1400s...

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 3:57 am

My stubbornness has been the only thing to keep me from committing a crime by walking off my job, more than once.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
01/14/13 3:55 am

There are two situations where people could be called stubborn for holding to their beliefs: one, when they do not budge in the face of reasonable argument. The other, when they do not budge in the face of persistent emotional attack.

The former is a flaw, but the latter is a virtue.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
01/14/13 2:57 am

This needs a couple hundred "likes" at the very least! lol

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
01/14/13 2:55 am

Good stuff, Annie! As the philosopher said, "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to RUN!" ;)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
01/14/13 2:48 am

Tea Party Republican.

Melan
01/14/13 1:49 am

Depends on the situation

Goldiemol dry side of WA
01/13/13 11:05 pm

A flaw only till your 18. No really. I have the most tenacious little girl and it is going to serve her well some day but it is a pain to parent. We looked all over the place to find a positive word for stubborn because someday we know it well serve her well getting to that point will be a fun ride.