Mattwall1 October 27th, 2014 1:48pm

A person feels those who had worse grades than them in primary and secondary school had worse grades because they feel those students are lazy and don't care. That thought process is in itself inherently lazy and not caring.

RedDye40 Way Over Yonder
10/28/14 3:30 am

Which would you recommend for the average high school graduate: (a) take a year or two off, work and gain life skills; OR (b) go directly to college, finish as fast as possible.

RedDye40 Way Over Yonder
10/28/14 3:32 am

Oops!! IGNORE THIS (unless you want to answer, then go to my polls). [note to self] It's too early in the morning to post on SOH. ;-)

BlackhawksFTW Here come the Hawks.
10/27/14 10:55 pm

Fundamental attribution error?

TigerShark47 Missouri
10/27/14 8:22 pm

I guess I don't understand how it is lazy to make the observation that there are other people who don't try as hard as you do.

Injectable Mojave Mo Problems
10/28/14 8:52 pm

I'm guessing you didn't actually observe them, so going with the generic they must be lazy, is lazy.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
10/27/14 12:43 pm

As someone with straight A's I couldn't agree more.

jvc1133 61535
10/27/14 12:22 pm

I disagree because I was lazy and dint care and bored.

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
10/27/14 10:45 am

Disagree. Because if they were lazy or didn't care they would not waste time thinking about how those other people did in school...

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/27/14 8:31 am

Not inherently. It could be from direct observation. In my experience, many of us were not particularly motivated to get good grades, and were often lazy, at least regarding schoolwork. I don't think it is fair as general statement though.

rbrown Kansas
10/27/14 7:58 am

It could also be based on a lack of experience with people. I don't have a reason though, for why many adults have similar opinions.

zuko on deck
10/27/14 8:35 am

I took Matt's question to be fairly specific, as in a limited number of students that one could do a bit more "research" before making a broad brush assessment that their poorer school performance was solely due to laziness and apathy. On a broader

zuko on deck
10/27/14 8:37 am

scale, there are a number of studies (search student performance and achievement) that seem to show a correlation between effort and achievement.

rbrown Kansas
10/27/14 10:14 am

Well, of course there are. I can't imagine that anyone word would argue against the positive effects of effort. But, there are also students for whom effort will not make much difference due to a lack of intellectual capacity.

zuko on deck
10/27/14 7:13 am

Making any assumptions about people using superficial criteria probably involves a certain degree of laziness and apathy, so I voted agree. That some students are lazy and don't care is likely true. I've known students that I might consider to be

zuko on deck
10/27/14 7:16 am

lazy get both good grades and poor grades. For the most part, unless a learning disability is involved or the class in question is advanced, my experience has been that even a moderate amount of effort in a class will assure passing marks. If that's

zuko on deck
10/27/14 7:18 am

all a student is aiming to achieve, that's fine. I always strove for more, but I can't say that I always put forth more effort than someone who performed below me. School performance (and life) are a bit more complicated than that.

Yoko318 Utah
10/27/14 8:05 am

And on the flipside, I was one of those lucky students who never studied at all through grade school and sailed through on honor roll. (although that's kicking my butt now, because I never developed study habits for college.)

Liberty 4,032,064
10/27/14 6:53 am

It depends on who they're talking about. They could be correct.

BusinessJustin Tamriel
10/27/14 6:53 am

Disagree, I feel that it's generally a true statement. Sure, half the population will be below the median, but there's a hefty dose of laziness for us to overcome first before we see the real level of most students.

Mattwall1
10/27/14 7:03 am

I'm not saying laziness doesn't exist, but every single student below the grades you get are inherently lazy, with no more thought made? That doesn't seem to be invoking much effort itself...

osouless Whats Next