Zod October 27th, 2014 5:28am

During weather-related power outages, do you think utility companies intentionally divert service from some areas that weren't directly affected by the storms in order to restore service sooner to more populated areas that were?

ScrewU Gone
10/27/14 2:27 pm

It's a matter of where you power comes from. Where we live the power comes from W Va. It's almost never affected by storms. Just a little farther east power comes from the east coast, and goes out all the time.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/27/14 10:07 am

I'm not sure how that would work. If I understand correctly, generally power outages occur as a result of problems relating to delivery, not scarcity.

presrvd Phoenix
10/28/14 2:59 pm

Exactly correct. The issue is the delivery route. That can be modified real-time, almost instantaneously to meet the needs of a power company (or customers). But, to not overload circuits, they may have to cut some off.

drunk ill be Bach
10/27/14 6:19 am

I've never heard of that happening, but it doesn't sound so far fetched either.

TierasPet
10/27/14 4:17 am

I didn't think so but maybe they do. I always thought they just focused on restoring power to the more populated areas first.

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
10/26/14 11:25 pm

The distribution systems are elaborate, and a storm in a nearby area can knock out your power. And utility companies definitely focus their dispatched repair crews on fixes that will restore power to more populated areas before others...

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
10/26/14 11:27 pm

My folks' house in upstate New York was without power for 5 days during a cold snap (single digit temps) in December 2011 (maybe 2010). The power company told them directly that their house was the only house out on their street, so dispatching a

arctostaphylos Ankh Morpork, New York
10/26/14 11:29 pm

repair crew to a fix that would restore power to just one house was not a priority when there were fixes that would restore power to more people.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/26/14 10:57 pm

We had an outage for a few hours this morning. There were widespread outages, but no severe weather in our area, and no apparent damage. The larger town a few miles away had power restored about the time ours failed. It has happened before.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/26/14 10:39 pm

I had it explained that some newer lines have some kind of technology that will automatically reroute power through different circuits if an outage is detected. Older lines or rural lines don't have that ability. I do think rural residents get low

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
10/26/14 10:39 pm

priority though when it comes to repairs, which sucked when I lived in two different houses at the end of a rural line. We went without power for a week more than once in both houses.