Mattwall1 October 24th, 2014 11:17pm

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Abraham Lincoln

MisterE Conservistan
10/25/14 3:15 pm

Sorry Abe. The term capital can most definitely apply to labor. Capital is a non financial asset that is used to create a good or service. Labor is an asset and is used to create goods and services.

rons WOKE is sick
10/25/14 5:58 am

Sounds like the chicken and the egg thing.

brenstal Florida
10/25/14 12:15 am

When answering this question, I'm imagining like early humans even. They have to put in labor in hunting or farming to eventually create profit. And that's true now too. We labor before we receive wealth, even though we grow up in this system.

brenstal Florida
10/25/14 12:16 am

Also, in the sense of children who labor to learn and to develop without any creation of capital for themselves.

Brrrrrrrrr
10/24/14 10:15 pm

Capital is prior to labor, for it is the desire for capital that causes labor to come into existence. Labor, in and of it self, is virtually useless. It exists primarily for the purpose of creating capital.
It best soon learn its place.

kermie gaytopia
10/24/14 8:51 pm

Abe, goddammit, you socialist republican!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/24/14 4:44 pm

Disagree. At first I thought it MIGHT be the case for the self-employed, but not even then. Perhaps for subsistence hunters using just their hands, wits, and what they can find, but everyone else needs capital to start, and expects to get paid.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/24/14 4:48 pm

I do think a well-qualified and conscientious workforce is a business's most valuable asset (oddly the thing the union works against), but that workforce, without capital and good management, is called "the unemployed".

Arananthi Literal Ninja
10/24/14 5:11 pm

I'm a living counterexample, Zod. I had zero when I started writing; literally I was paying for my Internet connection and electricity with the very last vestiges of my unemployment checks the month I started making money for myself.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
10/24/14 5:13 pm

The investment I had was my education and my time -- capital was, but for the $150 for electricity and internet, a non-factor. To this day, it's nearly my only overhead, and I've supported a family of three on the fruits of my labor for 7 years.

Mattwall1
10/24/14 5:17 pm

Aran-way type of stuff do you write

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/24/14 5:41 pm

That is almost the subsistence hunter example, or maybe the cost of the education is the capital, an investment in yourself. In any case, that's great - living the dream from my perspective. It doesn't seem typical though.

fredd TrumpLand
10/24/14 4:27 pm

I agree with the final sentiment but there's a reason why we call our economic system, Capitalism.