PurpleAsh October 22nd, 2014 10:34pm

Is human error the sole cause of traffic?

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
10/24/14 2:27 am

Deer, armadillos (if you're further south), accident gawkers, which is clearly human error. Seriously. Every time I've been seriously backed up on a freeway it's been because of people staring at accidents on the other side of the road.

millerza75
10/23/14 6:51 am

Yes. A human created the system, they made the plan. Then the end users generally suck at driving compounding what should be a minor mistake.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
10/23/14 8:25 am

This is exactly how I feel. Although some of the others gave good evidence that there are natural causes we can't control, weather for one.

millerza75
10/23/14 8:30 am

I disagree with that. The roadways are engineered to run off excess water to prevent flooding (that never happens, right!)
If you drive according to the weather and give yourself extra time to drive weather permitting everything should e good

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
10/23/14 8:24 am

Great example.

drunk ill be Bach
10/22/14 4:06 pm

Sole cause? No. Sometimes a traffic light is out, or there's an obstruction on the road (ie fallen tree), or any number of things. Main cause, however, yes.

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
10/23/14 8:23 am

Good call, although I may argue that a light being out is the fault of someone somewhere but a tree in the road is something I didn't think of. :)

SaintAnger sumkindamonster
10/24/14 2:28 am

But you could say building a road next to a tree is human error, or failing to cut down the tree after building.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/22/14 3:51 pm

Trying to put 20 pounds of poop in a 5 pound bag is the cause of traffic. The other day on the news the talking head mentioned a study that indicated to end gridlock on I-5 through Seattle would require 21 lanes in both directions. Today.

MachoMatt84 Climbing Mountains
10/22/14 11:39 pm

And yet, the boondoggle known as "light rail" with no parking at most of its stops was built instead of adding a couple lanes to I-5. smh at politicians

fredd TrumpLand
10/22/14 3:47 pm

Traffic? No? Was the question incomplete?

PurpleAsh Nowhere Land, CO
10/23/14 8:25 am

Nope, the questions was complete. And from the answers above I've gotten new examples of HOW human interference isn't the only thing to blame for traffic. :)