Mattwall1 October 22nd, 2014 1:04pm

In the video is a clip from the British kids television show Horrible Histories. In it is the line "yes, his daddy became a mummy, which is a very complex operation." Is this appropriate for what was primarily kids TV?

NikkiKitti47
10/23/14 8:04 pm

I hope they are talking about Egyptian history

thebarr
10/23/14 3:25 pm

Not unless they're talking about removing the brain through the nose, placing organs in canopic jars, and wrapping him in embalming bandages.

jvc1133 61535
10/23/14 2:00 pm

Well if it had happened it was probably reassuring.

Fungamer2817 Intriguing...
10/23/14 12:21 pm

The embombmeant (don't know how's it's spelled) is a very complex operation.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/22/14 11:09 am

Yes, the line seems fine for any kids. It isn't like they went into any detail. They could just as easily have used the word "croaked".

RoDe Latinus wordsus
10/22/14 10:03 am

I'm confused. I'm not sure why they would talk about sex change in the context of horrible histories. I think it's an appropriate topic for kids, IMO it's completely healthy to discuss things like this, I was aware of it when I was a young child.

Mattwall1
10/22/14 10:26 am

They did it as an innuendo. Kids shoes do things like that to keep parents interested, and by this point the show also had a large YouTube cult following they pandered too as well

RoDe Latinus wordsus
10/22/14 10:42 am

So were they referencing sex change as something bad or just informing the kids that it occurs?

Mattwall1
10/22/14 10:50 am

I think they were wanting the kids to think mummification and got the adults to think gender reassignment surgery, but not in a negative manner

RoDe Latinus wordsus
10/22/14 11:10 am

Oh haha when I first read "mummy", b/c the show is British, mummification hadn't even occurred to me, my mind just translated it as "mommy" w/o second thought, now I get it. So long as there's no negative connotation it's fine by me.

rickvee Living the dream
10/22/14 7:34 am

Well, the show is called "Horrible Histories"... So while not really appropriate for children's TV, it is aptly named.

rickvee Living the dream
10/22/14 7:50 am

One of those is Rick Astley isn't it? lol

Mattwall1
10/22/14 7:53 am

Nm wrong link. I do think there may be some influence of his in some of their songs

Rosebud Ohio
10/22/14 6:40 am

What, should they go into details of mummification, or ignore the fact it happened? Of course it is.

Mattwall1
10/22/14 6:52 am

You do understand the second meaning of the statement, right?

Rosebud Ohio
10/22/14 6:56 am

Yes, which certainly doesn't apply here and most kids won't get, especially in that context. I wouldn't have thought of it.
Even if it were obvious, that's not a bad explanation. Simple, leaves details to the parents.

Mattwall1
10/22/14 6:58 am

I agree I just wanted to make sure the second meaning wasn't being missed. Now in Britain, kids might not get it and have to wonder why their parents turned red. For international horrible historians, it's just Bob Hale at work

Rosebud Ohio
10/22/14 7:02 am

That happens all over though. Disney is peppered with innuendos, for example. I've had my 3yo ask plenty of times why I'm laughing, and I'd rather explain transgender than sexual innuendos. We're nowhere near that level of "the talk."