Skarface69 October 22nd, 2014 3:51am

The mainstream on SoH is further affirmation that a post-scarcity society cannot exist because altruism does not exist.

146787456777 .......
10/22/14 4:55 am

altruism exists, but its rare unfortunately, especially here on SoH

Holiday LA
10/22/14 4:47 am

Altruism exists. Why, just this morning I picked a turtle up off of the road so a car would not hit him. *wait*, you just made me blow my altruistic act. I have many more examples. Did I just blow those, too? I'll shut up.

genuflect University of Minnesota
10/21/14 10:53 pm

Where does altruism come into play for a post-scarcity society? I might be a dumb-shit point-misser.

Skarface69 Retired
10/22/14 3:33 am

There would need to be at least a small amount of altruism present for a post-scarcity society to be achieved. Basically, it's possible, but those in power are far too selfish to ever let it happen.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
10/21/14 8:54 pm

Disagree, but only by a logic point. Altruism totally exists. But a post-scarcity society cannot exist so long as there's a group of assholes who are more than willing to over-consume to the point that they re-create scarcity.

Arananthi Literal Ninja
10/21/14 8:55 pm

It's pretty much the definition of the tragedy of the commons -- all it takes is a few complete dickheads, and the entire party is ruined for all of the people who are willing to work together and make everyone thrive.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:56 pm

Altruism does not exist. An act may seem selfless at face level, but nobody would ever purposely do something that is totally altruistic.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:57 pm

Everyone's a dickhead. I can name you at least a hundred dickheads that I've talked to on this app alone. I'd say that reasonably decent people make up about 5% of the population in actuality.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:53 pm

Humanity is like a bad parody of what it used to be.