Rotavele October 21st, 2014 11:00pm

Have you ever went to stores aimed for lower income people's so you don't have to "dress up"?

bassic
10/23/14 10:29 pm

My bf and I are low income. He likes to buy organic food at rich-people grocery stores, and part of the fun for him is the looks on those people's faces when they see us (him in particular, ha).

DuckAndCower
10/22/14 3:27 pm

I've never heard of dressing up to go shopping. What do you guys consider to be dressing up in this case?

jmw7477 Indiana
10/22/14 1:57 am

Walmart. I don't go to Dollar General just for that reason. (It's the closest store to us & easy to get in & out of.) But I also don't change my clothes if I'm working around the house & need to run & get something.

catpillow Florida West Coast
10/21/14 10:03 pm

Actually, I don't dress up for stores, even if they're geared for rich people.

GlockMan1 Alabama
10/21/14 4:44 pm

Yes. That's why I go to the Dollar General. You don't have to dress up like when you are going to Wal Mart.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:38 pm

I used to be skeptical, but now I know you're a troll.

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 9:14 pm

No, he's not. In Alabama we don't have as large of incomes as other states, were some of the lowest in the nation. Many here shop at dollar general and such as walmart is considered middle class groceries and target and such is when you got money.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 4:44 pm

No. I go to stores where I want to shop, and I don't dress up for any of them. Or dress down, for that matter, but my usual clothing is t-shirts & jeans.

jvc1133 61535
10/21/14 4:41 pm

I am lower.

voc I am...what I am
10/21/14 4:40 pm

No. I dress the same no matter what store I go into. If one of those stores doesn't like the way I dress, I'm too old to give a fuck.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/21/14 4:04 pm

No; if anything, I like going into fancy stores dressed like a slob. I have every right to be there, same as anyone.

The funny thing is, actual celebrities and the like often dress way down in public specifically to avoid the paparazzi.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/21/14 4:04 pm

Oddly, I actually feel more uncomfortable in discount stores. Like I don't have a right to be there because I can afford to shop other places. No idea if that's my empathy at work or if it's in my head.

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 4:09 pm

Interesting perspective. Complete opposite of me, but I wonder why we think that way. The only thing I can think of is the geography.

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/21/14 5:41 pm

I imagine it's the sum total of our respective experiences. I have a relatively privileged background, and my husband and I both make good money now, so it's easy for me to see myself as someone with the means to shop at an exclusive store. I imagine

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/21/14 5:42 pm

that has a lot to do with my comfort level. When I was in college and not making any money I probably would've felt quite differently, if there had been many fancy stores in my hometown ;)

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 4:04 pm

lol joking, I'm not that much of a dick. I don't normally dress up anyway.

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 4:08 pm

Yeah after I thought about it, maybe it's like a southern thing to dress up when you go out. :/ that's one reason I'd love to live somewhere else. Everyone always expects you 100% dressed up all the time.

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 4:13 pm

Just to clarify I wasn't calling you a dick for doing that, I meant I'm not that much of a dick to actually say "ew" about lower income clothing stores.

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 4:15 pm

It's ok and I don't go to lower income clothing stores I was more of talking about like dollar general for grocery items that you forgot.

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 4:18 pm

I hit up the dollar store all the time for greeting cards. They sell cards 2 for $1 and ypu would normally pay $3 plus for the same ones in a grocery store.

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 4:01 pm

I don't know how to ask it without sounding kind of ignorant. My apologies.

Sometimes I go to "white trash" stores to avoid having to actually put on nice clothes and to feel like I'm not being judged. I wanted to see if other people do that.

Nemacyst No Lives Matter
10/21/14 4:08 pm

This user is currently being ignored

Rotavele Alabama
10/21/14 4:09 pm

I live near the city of Huntsville, but wal mart could have been one of the applicable places. I went to dollar general instead of Publix today to avoid people expecting me to look like a spring flower.