Show Of Hands October 21st, 2014 12:33pm

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is seeking a vendor to supply up to 34 million blank "green cards" in anticipation of a Presidential executive order on immigration reform after the November elections. Support or oppose?

kjs Minnesota
10/27/14 6:04 pm

You need to earn your way here. Not just by a green card.

Independent101 Be For America
10/25/14 9:12 pm

Isn't that something Congress is supposed to do?
#CongressNOTObama

starzycki Pennsylvania
10/24/14 11:18 pm

This question is so vapidly formed that the resulting information is invalid in every form.

rightHandman Oregon
10/25/14 7:56 am

Is the question to agree/oppose: the green card preorder? Or the executive order/abuse of presidential power?

DK41
10/23/14 9:15 pm

He should be put in prison!!! #obamahatesamerica

loligo Montana
10/23/14 8:20 pm

I trust everyone opposed to this has ancestors that came over on the Mayflower...

adeon777 Plano Texas
10/24/14 8:10 am

im not, Im of mixed racial origin and my Creek side still thinks it's BS. This is just a way of gaining a perminant democrat majority. This is aginst the Constitution, and is putting non-Americans above his own people.

rightHandman Oregon
10/25/14 8:12 am

A perfect plan to ensure an increased liberal voting base. 1) Take an issue that divides a nation 2) Plant party flag on the side that benefits non-citizens and feign concern for them 3) Convert non-citizen to voting-citizen 4) Lock in those votes!

NikkiKitti47
10/23/14 4:20 pm

It's bad enough many jobs where I live get taken by them how many more?

dogsaver new Jersey
10/23/14 7:27 am

Obama won't be happy until he destroys America! We already have open borders, because we can't keep them closed. Now obama want to relax the borders and have total open borders!

vinenoob lovely
10/22/14 8:07 pm

The solution is simple. We annex Canada and Mexico.

Ernest Make it so
10/22/14 5:09 pm

38 million.... Let that number sink in people. That's 38 million who didn't legally migrate. That's 38 million who didn't sign up or study to take the citizenship test. That's 38 million insulting those who legally migrated, and we're a republic...

kougrakub
10/23/14 8:46 am

"And we're a republic"
I don't know what you're talking about :^(

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/23/14 4:36 pm

ERN - it's because of this number's size you should have immediately been skeptical of this site's reporting. The new cards are part of the gov's making imm and work cards harder to forge for the approx 40M current legal immigrants. It has

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/23/14 4:38 pm

Absolutely nothing to do with a pending EO as the UK's answer to the National Enquirer would have you believe. The updates RFP actually spells this out in the "background" section. One more reason I absolutely hate the daily mail!

Ernest Make it so
10/23/14 5:19 pm

Thanks for info and the heads up Shazam. It's good to know what is coming from where and how/why. I think at least for me, the points on principal I brought up concerning a future amnesty/blank green cards are still valid.

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:58 pm

I like how every state disapproves....

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:46 pm

If this happens it will be clear that Obama only wanted to hurt the US. There is no way you can defend the President specifically violating the law to allow invaders to get a Free Pass. See how you would be treated as an illegal in Mexico...

SStauffer5745 Maryland
10/22/14 12:15 pm

These ass holes are bleeding us enough already!! Now we want more of them?

gatsbyxxv
10/22/14 10:32 am

Absolutely oppose. This abuse of Presidential far beyond anything we have seen recently. Disgusting and manipulative at its worse.

centexken Republic of Texas
10/22/14 5:10 am

damn worthless scum sucking democrats.

2019 Tusoa
10/22/14 4:31 am

Well we have way too many illegal drugs in this country too so I guess we should just legalize all of those

DrDollylonglegs in the lab... again
10/22/14 8:39 am

Actually... I'm down for that.

kimball75
10/22/14 3:31 am

I wouldn't be comfortable citing DailyMail as a reputable news source. It's a British gossip rag.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/22/14 7:16 am

But they often publish info that is soon picked up and born out by more mainstream media. If they don't kiss corporate/political ass, I'm surprised they aren't more supported, as much as we bitch about the media.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
10/22/14 12:54 pm

The conjecture derives from the reason for the draft request. There are over 4 million LEGAL immigrants waiting .... They could just as easily be intended primarily for that purpose.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
10/22/14 2:36 am

Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad about a conjecture filled "article" out of a web tabloid based in the UK?

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:48 pm

Because Obama has said himself he plans on offering amnesty by executive order after the elections maybe? I tend to believe him when he is trying to hurt the country.

bgm1133
10/21/14 9:40 pm

Libertarians on SOH are Republicans pretending to be Libertarian.

DrDollylonglegs in the lab... again
10/22/14 8:40 am

I've kinda been getting that impression too.

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:49 pm

Libertarians aren't allowed to be for sovereignty laws? That's news to me.

adeon777 Plano Texas
10/24/14 8:16 am

Libertarians are supposed to be for the rule of law, so check your definition. libertarians are beginning to look more right leaning because the left is going to crazy town.

Brrrrrrrrr
10/21/14 9:08 pm

You mean blue cards, so they all know which color button to press.

10/21/14 9:03 pm

I have no problem letting people in to work if they'll drop the minimum wage. And you can't get welfare or food stamps. Work or go home. They'd still want to work here. It's still way better than what they came from.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/21/14 10:15 pm

Unfortunately, your conditions are considered unfair, racist, old white men kind of thinking. Nothing like this will be required of them.

10/21/14 10:33 pm

F you. I'm Mexican you ass

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/21/14 10:36 pm

F yourself. I actually was picturing that describing old white democrats.

10/21/14 10:37 pm

Well then. I apologize

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/22/14 7:14 am

Well then have a nice day. ;-)

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
10/22/14 12:58 pm

Out of curiosity, when you say you are Mexican, do you mean you are LITERALLY Mexican, or do you mean you are originally from Mexico and a naturalized citizen, or do you mean you have ancestors who immigrated from Mexico?

10/22/14 2:59 pm

Great grand parents emigrated. I am of mixed blood. Irish/ Hispanic. Being a conservative, constitutional, libertarian is difficult when you have color. Similar to how Herman Cain feels I imagine.

pekin
10/23/14 6:58 am

Breck, why do you say your Mexican and not an American mutt like most of us.

10/23/14 7:25 am

Perk. Sorry. It was a knee jerk reaction to a stupid comment. I'm an American of mixed decent. Like everyone else. I hate when people say they are Mexican too when they are American first. I fly the American flag at my house.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/23/14 2:08 pm

Hey, sweetcheeks, my comment was not stupid. I was serious and it's true.

10/23/14 3:16 pm

When you say my comments are racist and old man, I'm not sure why it's racist. Everyone would be impacted by the removal of the minimum wage. As far no welfare. No immigrant should be given anything free to live here. Work or go home.

10/23/14 3:17 pm

So nothing I've suggested is racist. Perhaps you're feeling guilty of your racist past?

10/23/14 7:09 pm

2Katz, I have to apologize again. I do not think you're racist. I reread your original comment and have concluded that I am wrong about you.

10/23/14 7:09 pm

You were saying that "my" comment in California would be considered racist. I see it wouldn't be your opinion. What is your opinion?

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/23/14 7:56 pm

Dang, you're one of the most reasonable people I've seen on SOH! I appreciate your thoughts. In my original comment I said "are considered to be..." but I meant that's how most liberals seem to look upon setting any kind of conditions in this issue.

2katz I live in Nebraska
10/23/14 7:58 pm

I meant to say that it's unrealistic to expect that any of these expectations will be placed on them, in the current prevailing sociopolitical climate. I personally think your conditions are appropriate.

10/24/14 6:54 am

Thanks. I have a theory that most don't agree with. I believe that the minimum wage is an artificial set point for pay. Without it, most would pay more.

10/24/14 6:55 am

Plus, If you illuminated business tax with a fair tax, business would flock back to the country and competition for workers would drive up wages.

10/24/14 8:47 am

Lol. I said illuminated! Oops. Spell check fail.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:46 pm

Borders are absurd. A line in the sand shouldn't prevent human beings from moving up in the world if they want to do.

10/21/14 9:10 pm

I agree. But no minimum wage and no welfare. Work or go home.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 9:20 pm

So you agree that borders are absurd, but you still think that the people on the other side of the border should have less rights if they come here?

10/21/14 10:05 pm

No, not less rights. Eliminating minimum wage would apply to all.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
10/21/14 10:08 pm

A world without borders is absurd. The US must enforce it's borders to maintain the freedom that our founders gave us. Without borders we would be reduced to the lowest common denominator...a hopeless corrupt third world shithole.

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:53 pm

Lol what a joke. It wouldn't be a line in the sand if we put a fence up. You go be an illegal in Mexico and see how much they give you for free and how much they help you in English.

Ernest Make it so
10/22/14 5:13 pm

@skarface So you don't believe in boarders. You realize you live in a republic with defined boarders. Do you have a door to your house? Do you lock it? Why not just have it removed?

Skarface69 Retired
10/23/14 3:41 am

A country is not the same as a house. If all you have to argue against me is shoddy metaphors then I have nothing more to say to you.

Ernest Make it so
10/23/14 4:37 am

Shoddy according to you. It's a perfect metaphor. If you believed whole heartedly in no boarders/boundaries, you should have no problem living with no doors. Let the neighbors live there too and maybe their extended families. Sorry, you're in denial.

Skarface69 Retired
10/23/14 5:31 am

If you don't know the difference between a border and a door, you have more problems than I'm qualified to address. By the way, spell the word border right you twat.

TiredofIt Texas
10/23/14 5:45 am

You are f u c k i n g d I c k wad who deserves to get skull f u c k e d Scarface. You are obviously a huge moron if you argue against borders and then don't realize that his analogy is perfect. You are wrong, but that was easy to see. F U C K off.

Ernest Make it so
10/23/14 7:01 am

@skarface Thanks for the spelling correction, but you still fail to grasp the analogy. You house sits on a property. That property had defined borders that belong to you. People just don't show up and live on your property.

Ernest Make it so
10/23/14 7:05 am

Door, fence, and walls are there as a deterrent to people who would. It's illegal to do so as people who do this are called squatters or home invaders. Our nation has defined borders. We have people living here and our boundaries will be enforced.

10/23/14 3:29 pm

He's right. A secure border ensures that only those that we approve are allowed in. If 60,000 children can just walk across, then how many ISIL terrorists came too?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
10/21/14 8:01 pm

Obama and his fellow totalitarians want to use executive orders to bypass congress and convert illegal aliens into democrat voters. The goal is one party rule. If done, it could push the heavily armed conservative minority to revolution, IMO.

Skarface69 Retired
10/21/14 8:43 pm

That would end with a bunch of dead rednecks.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
10/21/14 10:00 pm

Skar...would that include all the military and police who would join the revolution? Who would the totalitarians bring in to do the killing...the UN?

Skarface69 Retired
10/22/14 3:35 am

A few pilots is all it takes.

TiredofIt Texas
10/22/14 4:56 pm

"A few pilots" who don't care about the Constitution. Luckily most pilots do. Why do you hate democracy so much?

adeon777 Plano Texas
10/24/14 8:23 am

Because they are communist nut jobs who don't know history.

niceguy Salt Lake City
10/21/14 7:51 pm

Yes! The more the better! Everyone should get the chance to live in the greatest country ever

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
10/21/14 7:22 pm

they should also be a different color than the green cards that LEGAL immigrants carry so it not to be used as a prejudice against the people who are trying to come here the right way.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 7:47 pm

To avoid any accusations of racism from the liberals the only color would have to be white. I take that back, they can't be white either because they will claim we only want whites here. They will have to be translucent.

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
10/21/14 8:35 pm

purple with pink polka dots?

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 9:18 pm

Now you are being homophobic. Lol.

Nos4at2 demented weirdo
10/21/14 10:09 pm

noooo.... that would be rainbow ones, I'm scared of ET s

fotoguy22 Florida
10/21/14 6:43 pm

The question appears to be about having enough green cards ready just in case and not about whether or not the cards should actually be issued. Giants lead 5-0 right now.

taxumrat milky way galaxy
10/21/14 7:02 pm

As a giants fan, id say you have tackled the most important issue.

10/21/14 6:32 pm

I don't think people quite understand that with a green card, they wouldn't be illegals... I feel like I'm seeing a lot of idiot comments from opponents talking about illegals.. Maybe these opponents don't like people with darker skin...

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 6:47 pm

Quit pulling your racism card all the time. If just as many white Canadians were flooding across the border causing as many problems most people, if not more, would still be complaining about the problem and wanting a solution.

10/21/14 8:59 pm

They're very strict about Canadians coming across the border and won't let you even visit if they think there's a possibility that you'll work.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 9:22 pm

So I guess it is not just "brown people" they want to regulate.

10/21/14 9:58 pm

Uh no. It's easy to get in if you are brown.

10/22/14 1:48 pm

Yeah, Canadians have to decide to give up their socialized healthcare, legal pot, and advanced society to come and live amongst the children. I'd say it is a hard thing for Canadians to do...

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/22/14 1:56 pm

Haha. Canada is an "advanced society". Canadians come to the USA and pay full price for life saving surgeries instead of their free "advanced" healthcare system.

10/23/14 3:03 am

Yeah, and nobody ever smuggles Canadian prescription drugs across the border... Which ones a bigger industry??

GloMom
10/21/14 6:14 pm

Sorry, but we're overpopulated now & have too many people here (illegals included) - The US needs to have the resources for their citizens now & stop with the temp Visa allowances b/c once they're here they don't go back.
My privilege is my US birth

10/21/14 6:34 pm

The earth is overpopulated... It's not something were going to fix with invisible borders, unless we institute a population control policy like china, except we should do like 2 or 3 max per family..

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 6:49 pm

The earth is not overpopulated. There are plenty of resources to go around. If someone is going hungry it is because a corruption or logistics problem.

10/22/14 1:50 pm

I won't disagree on the corruption thing, but we are way, waaay overpopulated. And I think the impact we have had on the environment, while in centralized bubbles is testament to that fact...

10/22/14 2:30 pm

It may be over populated in Maryland, but here in Nevada, there's plenty of room. And plenty of vacant homes.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/22/14 2:41 pm

I have been through most of Maryland. There is so much undeveloped land in most of it.

10/23/14 3:10 am

Md is like any other place: crowded as hell in some places, empty in others. Nevada.. Who wants to live in the desert?? Christ, Vegas is running out of water, and makes no plans to tackle that crisis... Surprise..

GloMom
10/21/14 6:14 pm

My privilege is my US birth

ishady 86451132020
10/21/14 5:16 pm

I support this just so I can watch conservative heads explode. I wonder if the sound will be like bubble wrap, or a dull thud?

10/21/14 6:28 pm

Totally bubble wrap. But imagine a quick drumroll leading up to each one...

chance Troll
10/21/14 9:23 pm

And then, when you morons don't have a job anymore, oh wait, you're libs, you only live off of the government dole, never mind.

10/23/14 3:01 am

Hey, I get my free healthcare solely because my notoriously conservative overlords pay poverty level wages, even for skilled labor in a market that pays much much better. Cant get a job at the other places, cuz nobody leaves a salary like that

CudOfCow Oregon
10/21/14 5:09 pm

support what? the proactive supply purchase of green cards or the executive order?

CudOfCow Oregon
10/21/14 5:10 pm

sounds to me like they want to be prepared...what is to support or oppose?

bogusbasin
10/21/14 4:17 pm

Look at pie charts... .... Did u look. ... Libs r on wrong side. Obviously. Woo hoo more food stamps recipients and lib voters. Disgusting Barf

Appa
10/21/14 4:13 pm

My stepdad has been here legally for work for 9 years. He had purchased two homes and pays taxes. He even drives a Ford truck. He follows all the rules and still gets screwed.

10/21/14 9:05 pm

How is he getting screwed if he's here legally? How's he getting screwed any differently than anyone else?

Appa
10/22/14 3:52 pm

Because when it's time to renew documents the ISCIS office always "loses" some info and he has to pay up. They lost his green card and blamed him. A year and $1200 in bogus fees later, still no green card.

hansorg Columbus, Indiana, USA
10/21/14 3:51 pm

This country was built on the backs of immigrants. Regardless of whether or not Republicans and Libertarians have a racial bias against brown people.

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 4:32 pm

This has nothing to do with being racist for most people that oppose this. Also, "brown" people aren't the only people coming here.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/21/14 5:36 pm

What @skyrim said.

10/21/14 6:29 pm

Yeah but you don't see fox news talking about illegal Asians, do you??

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 9:38 pm

JHawk, I haven't really heard of anyone talking about illegal asians. Lol. My point was just that the problem isn't just "brown" people.
Also, I don't watch Fox News... and I don't know what you're getting at. Do you disagree with what I said? :)

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 9:39 pm

breck, I don't know what asian privilege you're talking about.

10/22/14 1:52 pm

I'm saying fix news is really the only 'news source' that talks about immigration as a 'crisis' and it's always about brown people. You don't hear many other news outlets covering immigration in regards other than the debate

10/22/14 1:53 pm

And it's in debate of immigration of brown people. Nobody covers immigration of non brown people because it doesn't bother the conservatives... It's just convenient

10/22/14 1:55 pm

If it weren't a matter of people being racist, you'd see the opponents talking a great deal more about non brown immigrants, but it's not within their power to treat immigrants equally (heyyo)..

10/23/14 3:35 pm

@skrym the liberals are always talking about white privilege. If that's true, what about Asian privilege? They make more than whites! The left never complains about them.

10/23/14 6:47 pm

Maybe because they're minorities. Maybe the left is happy to see a minority thriving.. Guess that never crossed your mind..

10/23/14 7:11 pm

I don't think it's ever crossed their mind.

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/21/14 3:30 pm

I agree that we need to do something about it but I don't think it should be rushed and thrown together and also, I don't like the idea of us just handing out green cards. Especially if they tried to get in illegally.

SkookumRoyce The Great Northwest
10/21/14 3:29 pm

34 million? That's preposterous! We can't just naturalize 34 million people into the country. We need to study how it would effect our economy, government and many other factors before even considering it.

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/21/14 3:32 pm

Do you really think Obama's the type of guy that would even consider thinking over these details?

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
10/21/14 3:22 pm

So, this is like a real "get out of jail free" card? When did Barack become the monopoly man?

Panterek Bangkok has me now
10/21/14 3:19 pm

Yay free passes for breaking the law

tdaddy Kentucky
10/21/14 2:58 pm

Who is going to feed the population equivalent of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, and well over a dozen next largest cities? And if we find jobs for them where do we find jobs for all the naturalized citizens they put out of work?

mishcakat Texas
10/21/14 2:38 pm

This is aggravating because both sides of my family moved to America legally, worked their asses off to make this place their home, and learned English despite Czech and French being their first language.

gamerguy217
10/21/14 2:22 pm

He doesn't have that power. He can give all the executive orders he wants to, but he cannot reform our immigration system without congress.

SugarShaq
10/21/14 2:35 pm

I don't think he cares about laws.

gamerguy217
10/21/14 2:39 pm

I know. Just thought I'd point out the obvious.

borny33
10/21/14 3:27 pm

I'm not saying I agree, but neither side is willing to compromise.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/21/14 5:43 pm

@gamerguy: watch him. Not 1st time he's violated law & usurped power... & no one has done anything to stop him. Unless/until someone does, he can apparently do anything he likes.

jinraye Virginia
10/21/14 2:06 pm

So does this mean that I as an American can break the law and get a pass or get out of jail free card? What part of illegal do some people not understand?

Moon Iowa
10/21/14 2:06 pm

Are we really using the daily mail as a reliable source??

10/21/14 6:36 pm

I'm just waiting for the day the onion is used as a source site on one of these polls..

TheDoN Tricities, WA
10/21/14 1:36 pm

I totally support immigration reform. However amnesty for people who are here illegally is another matter.

TheDoN Tricities, WA
10/21/14 1:42 pm

To give people amnesty for being here illegally is like a spit in the face of those people who worked so hard to come to this country legally and those who became citizens.

notalib Trump Supporter
10/21/14 1:30 pm

This policy should get at least a vote in congress first.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/21/14 5:47 pm

Yes. Especially since that's the law & we don't *have* a King. Supposed to have a President subject to the other branches of Government. Not that it appears to matter...

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
10/21/14 1:29 pm

He better not do it if he knows what is good for him.

Congressman Louisiana
10/21/14 2:26 pm

Or what? you gonna do something?

KingRodney Enjoy the Decline
10/21/14 3:34 pm

I'd support him if he did. This ain't right. He shouldn't be able to just do this.

Captainbstring Biden is a Clown
10/22/14 9:04 am

Its not me he should worry about. Its all of us he should be concerned about. Any moron knows we dont want amnesty for these people. Obama will have a fire storm on his hands is he issues his stupid arbitrary green cards. YOU gonna do something?

notalib Trump Supporter
10/21/14 1:26 pm

Time to ban Obama's "Assault Pen."

bubbaman
10/21/14 1:14 pm

How many people in the U.S. currently have a green card???

inthehole
10/21/14 1:04 pm

I support being prepared, not the reform.

GOODLOOKING 37174
10/21/14 12:59 pm

So far we don't have as many slums like India, and China. I was sort of hoping we could keep it that way...

GOODLOOKING 37174
10/21/14 1:00 pm

P.S. They should at least find out how to speak English -_-

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 1:07 pm

I speak English. So does my aunt. Many of us that spent years and a lot of money becoming a citizen the correct way, now it feels kind of wasted. Especially my aunt, who just became a citizen and worked her ass off to do so.

TheDoN Tricities, WA
10/21/14 1:33 pm

Skyrim it wasn't a waste. I and any true american are glad to have you.

GOODLOOKING 37174
10/21/14 1:36 pm

My intention isn't to offend you or make you feel 'wasted', but there is some people that come here and never bother to learn the language. Glad you and your family did.

10/21/14 6:38 pm

Maybe learning the language wasn't a top priority.

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 9:42 pm

TheDoN, thank you. You know, people talk about how much they hate it here, or how messed up America is (and some of that might be true)... but goodness. I wouldn't have anything I have today if I stayed where I was at.

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 9:44 pm

G00D, I know. You didn't offend me. :) I actually came here by myself. My aunt just happens to be an immigrant as well, though she wasn't able to become a citizen until recently (she's almost 60).
English wasn't my first language, but it's all I

Skyrim nobody
10/21/14 9:44 pm

speak now, so it feels so natural.