cowboy October 21st, 2014 9:20am

Would Jesus take pity on the mentally disturbed, and try to help get to the real problem by talking to them, or facilitate their behavior by condoning body alterations to fit their warped sense of reality, leading away from God.

borny33
10/21/14 3:35 pm

Please know that Jesus would care for people way more than cowboy does...life is full of tough choices, and Jesus does love everyone. Questions like these are meant to separate...Jesus is here to love and unite.

typetype level 2 pretty
10/21/14 2:46 pm

He'd turn water into wine, hand out some fish, eat a lil bread and even the not-crazy people would have a good time.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/21/14 12:03 pm

Another what would Jesus do question. -le sigh- Oh hell, I'll take a shot. I'm guessing he'd perform a miracle and make it all better either by changing the person's mind or gender w/the wave of his hand.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/21/14 10:34 am

Although the left wing view of Jesus is that he came to endorse sin and make it ok, he did not. He often said go and sin no more because sin has real life consequences and to endorse it is encouraging those people in their own destruction.

cyanospool The Deep North
10/21/14 8:28 am

It's pretty obvious that that if we were talking about any other mental disorder that people frequently refuse treatment for, you wouldn't feel so strongly. Plenty of people refuse therapy for much more extreme mental illness, and have every . . .

cyanospool The Deep North
10/21/14 8:29 am

. . . right to if they are not a danger to others. It's clear you're trying to mask your specific discomfort with transgender people by claiming a strong compassion for all mentally ill in an attempt to appeal to more liberal-minded . . .

cyanospool The Deep North
10/21/14 8:29 am

. . . individuals. Look, I don't agree with using extreme surgeries as a "treatment" for BDD either (or any mental disorder in that case), but I have to call out the blatant dishonesty here.

cyanospool The Deep North
10/21/14 9:05 am

I should clarify before someone brings up hemispherectomies for schizophrenic patients: I refer to extreme cosmetic surgeries (or any surgery which is ultimately not intended to halt the actual disorder).

10/21/14 10:28 am

@cyno- I agree. Also, the person asking this has shown hate and contempt for trans people on here. It'd be less off putting if those opposed to the surgery weren't also people I've seen hate from.

10/21/14 1:10 pm

Calling them things like "tranny", saying vulgar things like "cut off his dick" rather than "sex reassignment surgery".. That kind of thing.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/22/14 8:38 pm

Are you talking about Hollywood celebrities who get plastic surgery or liposuction/botox?

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 8:19 am

You seem awfully fixated on the ideas of transgender and homosexuality etc... as a large percentage of your questions are about those topics... Is there anything you want to tell us Cowboy? Don't be scared, most of us would be supportive.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/21/14 7:51 am

The people that Jesus condemned were those that walked around judging others. You might want to get your snoot in The Book.

10/21/14 7:31 am

He would cast out the unclean spirit. That's how He dealt with "mental disorders." ✞

10/22/14 12:01 am

you don't take them, that violence is on you because you could have prevented it. Body Dysmorphic Disorder is not a sin, nor is homosexual attraction. But when one's sexual behavior violates God's Law or His intentions for us, that is sin. So gays

10/22/14 12:05 am

need not sin, if they refuse the temptation to have unnatural sexual relations. And those who feel "transgendered" need counseling to cure their delusions, not mutilative surgery to humor them.

10/22/14 12:10 am

Susan, hermaphroditism is a birth defect, not a sin. But it, and all physical illnesses and diseases, are results of the Fall. The perfect order of Creation was damaged, broken, by Adam and Eve's sin. God (see Genesis chapter 3) cursed the Earth and

10/22/14 12:15 am

told Adam that from that point onward, it would produce "thorns and thistles," meaning they had not previously existed. We believe the same is true of cancer, viral and bacterial diseases, congenital defects, and the negative effects of aging.

10/22/14 12:16 am

If I missed anything, you two, let me know tomorrow and I'll blather some more! :o)

10/21/14 6:46 am

I'm curious: why do you consider being transgender against god? I don't recall seeing anything like that in the bible.

10/21/14 7:38 am

In Genesis 2 it clearly states that God created us male and female. He doesn't make mistakes, which is what trans people claim they are. ✞

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/21/14 7:48 am

I heard a pastor on the 700 club a good 30 years ago discussing transgender's they are creations of God in his opinion. The Bible doesn't talk about multiple sclerosis or down syndrome either but people are born that way.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:01 am

Please explain biological hermaphrodites & people of indeterminate sex, then.

cyanospool The Deep North
10/21/14 8:15 am

Susan, I guarantee you their response is something like "diseases such as 'hermaphroditism' (biologically intersex) are a result of the fall of man and did not exist before original sin". Same excuse they use to explain cancer and the common cold.

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 8:40 am

If God doesn't make mistakes then why does he sometimes put a male brain in a female body and vice versa?

10/21/14 8:44 am

That's the point. He doesn't. Those people are delusional.

Axl752 NY
10/21/14 8:47 am

Ok if he doesnt make mistakes then why would those people be delusional, or have a "mental disorder" as some put it?

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:48 am

You would seem to be saying that hermaphrodites are delusional then, too.

Either that, or "God doesn't make mistakes" but "hermaphrodites are the result of the fall of man." So hermaphrodites would be deliberate... what, retribution for

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:49 am

the fall of man? That seems a little contradictory.

10/21/14 10:20 am

Yes, what about people who really are indeterminate sex wise? It's known as intersex, I did a paper on doing surgeries on these infants. God would've created them, wouldn't he?

10/21/14 10:22 am

@tlaney- I guess I read that as the usual way things are. Also, not trying to be confrontational, but I don't see how it's wrong to want to switch according to that verse.

10/21/14 10:23 am

Also, let's say it is I'd a mental disorder . Are we now categorizing that as a sin? I'm a bit put off by the implication that you have control over an illness or that it's wrong to have one. I never chose PTSD. Am I still wrong for having a mental

10/21/14 10:23 am

Illness?

10/21/14 12:15 pm

AJ and Susan - I'm going to be off SoH for several hours, but I'll answer your questions tonight. It'll take me a couple hours to answer them. Talk to you then.

10/21/14 1:40 pm

Ok tlaney :)

10/21/14 11:57 pm

AJ, I'm sorry for your PTSD and I thank you for your service. No, a mental disorder is never a sin. You are only responsible for your behavior. If, for ex, you have flashbacks and fear you may become violent, it's your responsibility to take meds. If

10/22/14 10:05 am

Ok, that makes sense! And thanks :) I'm not a veteran though, my PTSD is from being raped, the most common cause for women (combat is for men). And I agree with your perspective on meds. I'm on a couple for that and they make me feel better, be more

10/22/14 10:06 am

Productive, and be less consumed by it, freeing myself for the loved ones in my life :)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/22/14 10:08 am

AJ, an aside. I have PTSD from a car accident. Knitting has been a lifesaver.

10/22/14 10:26 am

I'm glad it helps! :) art does for me, as well as shutting out people who want to be cruel to me over it, a couple have popped up on this app.

10/22/14 11:36 am

AJ, forgive my 63-year-old brain. Of course I knew the reason for your PTSD. There are so many users now with two initials and a 4-digit number, and this wasn't our usual topic of discussion. And I'm so glad your art helps! :o)

10/22/14 11:48 am

No worries :) I chose it when I wasn't sure how anonymous to stay.

10/22/14 11:53 pm

AJ and Susan, I just realized I posted the last several panels of my response to your questions to the next thread above this. Sorry. You might still be interested. :o)

10/23/14 5:16 am

I will check it out ! And no worries, I've done that too! :)

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/21/14 5:04 am

Nope he would lay his hands upon then, they would be healed!

10/21/14 5:57 am

Well Atheists don't believe Jesus was God, and had the power to heal, so I kept it in terms of psychology. Which they don't seem to believe in either when it comes to this mental disorder.

ButchBrewBaker Pennsyltuckey
10/21/14 4:12 am

Jesus would talk to them whether they altered their body or not.

10/21/14 4:56 am

Yes, but do you think he would condone the surgery and call his father's creation by another name?

10/21/14 7:40 am

When He healed them the surgery would be reversed and they would be whole as they were created.

ScrewU Gone
10/21/14 3:42 am

Easy question. It's written in several places in the bible that altering your physical appearance was an affront to God's creation and would bar entry to heaven.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 6:17 am

So if your baby is born with a cleft palate you should just leave it that way.

10/21/14 6:23 am

That would be up to the parent and not really the same thing as a mental disorder. How did you answer the question, susan?

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 6:45 am

Read 3Gun's comment again - the one you enthusiastically agreed with. It says nothing about mental disorders; it says "altering your physical appearance was an affront to God's creation." Period.

That's exactly what repairing a cleft palate does.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 6:50 am

How did I answer the question? Originally, "cutting." Because I made the *assumption* you were talking about transgenders. I see now that it doesn't specify that, so I'm changing my vote.

10/21/14 6:54 am

You would facilitate a mental disorder and let them hurt themselves?

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 6:56 am

To whom are you referring?

10/21/14 6:57 am

Just answer the question.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 6:59 am

I can't if I don't know who you're referring to.

10/21/14 7:00 am

Still waiting...

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:03 am

Go ahead and wait, until you explain whether you're talking about transgenders.

In the meanwhile, please explain why the God you are talking about would approve of repairing cleft palates.

10/21/14 8:07 am

They're the ones with the mental disorder, susan. Quit playing stupid.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:11 am

I'm not "playing stupid," cowboy. I'm trying to find out if you're talking about Body Dysmorphic Disorder, which you have polled about before, or transgender issues - or including transgender within BDD. My answer is different depending on which.

10/21/14 8:11 am

And you already admitted to answering "Cutting". I thought you were a woman of science but support the dismemberment of the mentally disturbed.

susanr Colorado
10/21/14 8:13 am

Yes, I said "cutting" (which is really only part of treatment for transgenders, but it seems to be the one that people who don't understand transgender focus on), because it is not included in BDD. It's very different. And yes, I'm a scientist.

10/21/14 8:18 am

Of course it's included in BDD. It's the very definition. So your answer is yes. You help facilitate the mental disorder. Thank you.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
10/21/14 3:31 am

It's truly sad how many people lack compassion for Stiletto by not getting him the help he needs for his mental disorder.

jvc1133 61535
10/21/14 3:00 am

I don't believe I am in the position to speak for Jesus.: (

droo Santa Barbara
10/21/14 2:26 am

lol you try and talk to her? You try and help? How, exactly? By calling her "He-shank"? If you think she's mentally I'll and you want to help her, you're doing a pretty shitty job.

10/21/14 2:42 am

1. It's a man.
2. I never called him that.

10/21/14 2:42 am

Now answer the question.

dventola98 CMU
10/21/14 2:22 am

its either really early or really late so are you getting up or in bed?

10/21/14 2:43 am

I'm getting ready to go.