BamaGirl October 21st, 2014 2:37am

Do you or does anyone close to have any experience with (SCC) squamous cell cancer of the skin? (Please share in comments.)

whatnow
10/20/14 11:11 pm

My dad has had quite a few removed and several more to remove still. My mom has had many basal cell cancers removed and one melanoma (thankfully caught early). I had my first basal cell removed about 6 months ago. Very fair skinned people!

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/20/14 9:54 pm

My husband had a skin cancer on his scalp. I'm 90% sure, the dermatologist called it squamous. He removed it, in a very simple outpatient procedure. We had to treat the site for a number of days with some kind of disinfectant, I forget exactly.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/20/14 9:57 pm

It really was a non-event.

After you have skin cancer, you have to return to the dermatologist every 6 months, for a complete skin exam. But, that's also no big deal.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/20/14 9:59 pm

Oh yeah ... I should add, for context, I really freaked our when I heard, "skin cancer." So, I know what you mean. But, your father will be fine.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/20/14 10:37 pm

Thanks. My maternal grandfather has had them, but they were basal. This kind is considered more serious, but not as serious as melanoma. I'm not comfortable with the doctor, so I think that is part of my freak out.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/21/14 6:11 am

As it happens, our dermatologist is also our good friend. So, when he told me everything would be fine, it was highly reassuring.

Is your discomfort with the doctor based on personality or competence? If it's the latter, you ...

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/21/14 6:14 am

... might want to consider getting a referral to a different doctor. Of course, you don't want to lose any significant amount of time.

You could also let the dermatologist do the procedure, then follow up after the fact with another doctor.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/21/14 6:16 am

I'm sure you will do the right thing. Don't be concerned about hurting the doctor's feelings. Your father's health is the priority.

lovethatreba living in paradise
10/20/14 8:56 pm

A dear friend had one on her nose. She went to a MOHs doctor and had it removed and reconstruction on same day. Her recovery was uneventful and it has healed so now isn't noticeable. Great surgeon, excellent results.

MaxineL New Jersey
10/20/14 8:42 pm

My friend had one removed and then needed to use a special cream to kill any cells that might have been left. She is fine. Hope you are well.

Jack14 Massachusetts
10/20/14 8:39 pm

No, but I had melanoma. Luckily, in your case, there is typically a small chance for metastasis.

htcbump Florida
10/20/14 8:37 pm

Slow growing but potentially dangerous. My wife had it. Removal by MOES surgery gets it usually.

susanr Colorado
10/20/14 8:00 pm

I have no personal experience with it. My aunt had some kind of non-melanoma skin cancer many years ago on her face but I don't know of it was squamous cell, basal cell, or another kind. She's done fine, though.

Would you like me to share the poll?

alynn Somewhere wonderful
10/20/14 8:22 pm

I'll share too.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/20/14 7:44 pm

If you have experience, but would prefer to message me rather than comment, please do. Thanks.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/20/14 7:41 pm

My dad was just diagnosed with this. Currently, he is schedule for an outpatient removal procedure on November 4th. I am kinda freaking out a little bit. I know it is not supposed to be a big deal, because they don't believe it has metastasized.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/20/14 7:43 pm

I hope that it isn't an issue. I just am not there yet. I am still processing & trying to deal.

imanag My heaven on Earth
10/20/14 7:46 pm

I don't have any experience with this. I'll pray for you and your dad, though. I know you already shoulder a load of cares. I hope this turns out okay.

zuko on deck
10/20/14 7:47 pm

My dad had a fairly large squamous cell carcinoma removed from his back. As long as they are able to get clean margins when they remove it, usually excision is all that is needed.

chickencookie It really is
10/20/14 8:13 pm

Aw hon. I'm so sorry for this. Two of my ex coworkers had it, one which reoccurred a few times. I will add him to my prayers.

political Georgia
10/20/14 8:39 pm

In my prayers!

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/20/14 10:02 pm

My husband had it. I also freaked, when I first heard. It turned out to be nothing. Please read my longer comments above.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/21/14 8:15 pm

Between y'all, my friends, & my research, I have decided he needs the MOHs surgery which is not offered by his dermatologist. I have asked her to refer us to the MOHs surgeons. I should know something tomorrow.

political Georgia
10/21/14 8:17 pm

I wish your family the best!

imanag My heaven on Earth