droo October 21st, 2014 1:52am

Does contrasting the actions and teachings of a divine figure in a given religion with the actions and teachings of the divine figure's followers (in order to show hypocrisy) amount to belief in the actions and teachings of the divine figure itself?

thebarr
10/20/14 8:34 pm

Here's the point: What is the value of pointing out the cognitive dissonance in hypocrisy?

thebarr
10/20/14 8:35 pm

If I point out the hypocrisy of a Nazi who helps the weak even if they are non-white, I would be doing so in an attempt to show that his actions should remain, but his Nazi beliefs change. I would want him to give up his beliefs but keep his actions.

thebarr
10/20/14 8:36 pm

So if you point out the hateful behavior of Christians as being inconsistent with their beliefs, do you want to imply that they should keep their hateful actions, or change their actions but keep their beliefs?

thebarr
10/20/14 8:39 pm

If their beliefs are wrong, then why imply the latter?

So while it's possible to point out hypocrisy without condoning the beliefs that the hypocrite is ignoring (as I would do in the case of the Nazi), the follow-up question is:

thebarr
10/20/14 8:39 pm

Which should the hypocrite change? Belief or action? And if their belief is false, then why change the actions that aren't congruent with it?

kermie gaytopia
10/20/14 8:27 pm

I am constantly amazed by the vast inhumanity practiced by people who call themselves followers of one of the most humane figures in literature. It's mind-boggling.

10/20/14 7:30 pm

So basically, you are passing judgment on those who you deem "unlike Jesus". Blaspheming God by using his name to pass the judgment and also to facetiously glorify him. Where in the bible does it say to do this? Where also does it say to be perfect?

10/20/14 7:32 pm

Reread the question. I don't believe in the Bible thus I do not believe judging or blaspheming is a sin.

10/20/14 7:32 pm

Now I am no theologian, never claimed to be. I do however believe that man makes mistakes, God himself passes the judgment and is just to forgive said sin.

10/20/14 7:33 pm

I see, so you have zero authority to call people out on what you do not believe in in the first place.

10/20/14 7:33 pm

You are simply playing with words. That is your right.

10/20/14 7:34 pm

So, what was this all mighty sin you called out on these apparent hypocrites?

10/20/14 7:35 pm

Nope. I have the right to call out hypocrisy in anything. Religion doesn't get an expemption. Plus, I'm not nitpicking. I'm calling out a group of Christians who claim to follow Christ's teachings of loving your enemy yet bully someone due to their

10/20/14 7:35 pm

And to set the record straight, there does seem to be some hypocrisy among Christians. I wouldn't ever make that claim, but it isn't your or my job to call them out and denounce the entire religion,

10/20/14 7:36 pm

transgender. I don't believe bullying is a sin, but I do believe it is wrong. Since telling them it's wrong doesn't work, I have to tell them their Jesus said it was wrong, as apparently they have no morals unless they read them in some Holy book.

10/20/14 7:37 pm

Also, I'm not denouncing the entire religion or even you because of their actions. I'm calling them hypocrites. And why would an atheist like me see something like that and ever want to convert? Where is the so-called love of Christ we are supposed

10/20/14 7:37 pm

to see in Christians?

10/20/14 7:39 pm

Like I said, I am no theologian, from the sounds of it neither are you. Jesus said to love, gave his teachings and said teach. The bible speaks of homosexuality, transgender was never mentioned I don't believe. Jesus, never at one time condemned

10/20/14 7:40 pm

A sinner willing to accept his teachings. I don't believe Christians have the right to bully or judge

10/20/14 7:40 pm

It isn't my place or anyone else's to do so. Nor is it yours or anyone else's right to denounce someone's faith.

10/20/14 7:41 pm

I agree, that makes for a horrible image and "bad advertisement"

10/20/14 7:42 pm

I'm not denouncing anyone's faith. Please reread my comments. Reread the question too.

10/20/14 7:42 pm

Who are you talking that is bullying you? What denomination?

10/20/14 7:44 pm

This is the deal, A Christian has no right to denounce you, have hate for or judge you. Jesus actually despised those who called themselves "religious". Those who judge in his name.

10/20/14 7:48 pm

Maybe not denounce, definately a tone of blasphemy. I'll ask the same question: if This is the attitude you chose to give and image of transsexualism choose to show, how are we (Christians in general) supposed to be convinced to accept it?

10/20/14 7:50 pm

I agree with the hypocrisy though of these Christians. Jesus himself would and did in certain cases similar in nature. But "image" is a 2 way street. Be the better person. They obviously are not.

10/20/14 7:53 pm

I haven't been bullied. I've seen them bully a certain user, though. They constantly harass her for her transgender in poll, then in another poll talk about Jesus and his love and how much they adore and follow him. So of course I call that out. I'm

10/20/14 7:54 pm

I guess this is more advise than anything. I may not agree with your particular choice, but as a Christian and a human being, I won't judge or wish I'll will.

10/20/14 7:54 pm

by no means perfect, and if I'm inconsistent or hypocritical, I expect to be called out on it. Also, I am not criticizing all Christians for the the acts of the few. I'm talking specifically about a certain group. Regardless of whether or not you

10/20/14 7:55 pm

Oh I see, a different user. You are correct in calling them out, maybe try a different approach. One with a little less anger.

10/20/14 7:56 pm

agree with or support transgender procedures, or if you deem them sinful, I find it hypocritical to claim you follow a man who preached "love your neighbor" and simultaneously bully and harass a user, even in polls irrelevant to the user. (not *you*

10/20/14 7:56 pm

specifically; I'm talking in general).

10/20/14 7:57 pm

People in here disagree with me all the time, haven't displayed emotional discontent in any occasion. I think that makes them upset even more, if for no other reason than they see you (subconsciously) higher than themselves.

10/20/14 8:01 pm

Well I am off to other polls, hope I didn't cause you any feelings of discontent, only advise that you not use Blasphemy to prove a point while polling. That gives Christians a bad taste for your side of view. Have a good night my friend.

10/20/14 8:07 pm

You too :-)

Thank you for being a decent human-being. People like you give Christianity a good image. I just hope you never stoop to level of the other SOH bullies on here; you've inevitably encountered them and there's more to encounter, lol

10/20/14 6:56 pm

Apparently I'm a born-again Christian because I told a group of Christians they aren't acting like Jesus (their professed leader, whom they allegedly attempt to follow as that's what separates them from the rest of the world) would want them to,

10/20/14 6:57 pm

according to their religious texts. So if you try to prove hypocrisy by quoting the Bible and showing that a group of Christians aren't following it, you're recognizing the validity of the Bible. #religiouspeoplelogic

10/20/14 7:01 pm

Spread the word! drooski has been saved!!! I've acknowledged and accepted that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior simply by quoting the Bible in an attempt to show Christians not following it! THANK YOU FOR YOUR MERCY, O SWEET BABY JAYSUS.