Show of HandsShow of Hands

Cole12 October 21st, 2014 12:23am

You have 2 kids - a 12 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. One day, your son tells you that he has been molesting his little sister for several months. Do you call the police?

17 Liked

Comments: Add Comment

crazyjane New Jersey
10/21/14 11:39 pm

I'd send him away to an institution for help

USNavyVet Sonar Man STG2
10/21/14 3:09 pm

Jail time if he is lucky,hold me back. :-(

drunk ill be Bach
10/21/14 7:53 am

I'm pretty sure that meets the criteria for disowning him.

FATSHADOW Cyborg Gorilla
10/21/14 5:11 am

Put him up for adoption...let him rot in a orphanage.

swervin Maryland
10/20/14 10:58 pm

Of course. He would rather be in jail than deal with the punishment I would dish out. I don't fuck around when it comes to people abusing children, regardless of who they are.

brenstal Florida
10/20/14 9:26 pm

I would take both kids to a therapist. The therapist would probably be a mandatory reporter though, so it would probably eventually get to the police.

Reeze The TARDIS
10/20/14 8:45 pm

I would not call the police, but after about a month of punishment, he'd probably prefer he was in jail.

typetype level 2 pretty
10/20/14 8:40 pm

I figured the more liberal leaning you are the more likely you'd be to sell out your own child. For shame.

typetype level 2 pretty
10/20/14 8:31 pm

...and tell em what? That ur a bad parent and a snitch as they haul you off to jail? Police aren't wizards or family therapists. Police exist to arrest you or give you a ticket. Not to assist you through life's trials and tribulations.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
10/20/14 8:15 pm

No but I definitely get mental health help for them Both!!!

omagabi Surf City
10/20/14 8:19 pm

For the whole family.

10/20/14 7:49 pm

Say no all you want... This kid is messed up.

catpillow Florida West Coast
10/20/14 7:15 pm

First I'd want to make sure he understands the meaning of "molesting". If he does, then we see a doctor and a therapist.

EarlyBird Portland
10/20/14 5:41 pm

Ugh... I'm sure calling the police would not even come to mind. Getting both children immediately to professionals (doctors) would be the only thing I would be concerned with.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/20/14 6:58 pm

You know as soon as a doctor hears that information they are required to report it to police in Oregon?

EarlyBird Portland
10/20/14 7:23 pm

No, I didn't know that.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/20/14 7:26 pm

Hurray for the law! I would have them see a doctor first too, I'm not going to be the one calling the police on my own children, but that's not gonna stop the police from getting involved, just prolonging it a short while.

fredd TrumpLand
10/20/14 7:36 pm

Yeah what EB said.

Rosebud Ohio
10/20/14 8:13 pm

That's a good law.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/21/14 8:35 am

For the most part I agree. But I don't think every situation like this needs to end in a juvenile facility. If parents are taking the correct steps by getting therapy (instead of pretending it didn't happen or ignoring it) than police shouldn't have

10/21/14 9:27 am

Femme, the police are going to get involved regardless because a crime has been committed. His treatment plan and progress will be overseen by the juvenile court system. But it is smart to get both kids into therapy (and call a lawyer) before...

10/21/14 9:29 am

...calling the police because parents who demonstrate competence and willingness to address the problem are more likely to be allowed an opinion in what happens to the kid after the juvenile justice system takes over.

10/21/14 9:32 am

The boy is definitely going to end up in a residential treatment program for offenders, if he's lucky, or a juvenile detention program. The parents also stand to lose custody of their daughter if the judge thinks they were slow to act in her favor.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/21/14 9:34 am

I guess that's true. I don't disagree that they need help, but in my experience (and yes I have known multiple families who have gone through this) they have always ended up in juvie followed by jail, when the boys and their families were

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
10/21/14 9:35 am

cooperating and I don't think taking it that far is necessary. Do they need help? Absolutely! They need treatment, and not JUST talking to a therapist but they don't always need jail, but that's how it always ends.

10/21/14 10:35 am

I agree. These kids don't benefit from going to jail. More often than not they end up continuing on as offenders there, or picking up new skills.

10/21/14 10:39 am

The craziest part of the system in my experience the SO's who don't complete the system by their 18th birthdays are frequently either dropped in a jail or walked to the door and given a handshake and a "good luck" speech.
That's not good for anyone.

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/21/14 12:22 pm

I think the laws that force therapists to tell police are terrible. They prevent people from seeking & getting help, help that would potentially prevent crimes, help that might turn them into good, productive citizens. Instead they land in jail &

Krystina Let Freedom Reign
10/21/14 12:22 pm

learn how to better commit crimes upon their release & also learn that they can't talk to anyone, can't ever get help from anyone without being thrown in jail again. It's a great system...if you want to perpetuate the problem.

Rosebud Ohio
10/21/14 1:23 pm

I don't think that a therapist would have to report a crime that's already happened, unless it was still ongoing and has a victim.

10/21/14 1:27 pm

They absolutely have a duty to report. It's up to the appropriate authority in their local legal system to determine what to do from there.

10/21/14 1:31 pm

In fact, iirc, failing to report is a misdemeanor in most jurisdictions.
And there's an additional legal question given the wording of some statutes as to whether the therapist has a duty to report old abuse even when both parties are now adults.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/20/14 5:38 pm

No, but maybe get both a therapist.