Show Of Hands December 14th, 2012 12:00am

Do increasingly violent movies and video games contribute to an increase in "real" violence in society?

2ndafe Flat lands of Ohio
12/20/12 2:04 pm

When combined with bad parenting, you betcha.

iluvcupcak
12/20/12 1:45 pm

i heard the guy involved in the newtown shooting loved to play call of duty. now 20 kids will never grow up and get have all the fun they want.

sailorgemstone New York
12/20/12 7:17 am

Of course not. Bad parenting does.

shefjr New York
12/19/12 5:26 pm

Should the actions of the few affect many? Why can't the parents take responsibility? This recent mother had concern and did nothing but take her kid out target shooting. What the f! Was she thinking?

shefjr New York
12/19/12 5:24 pm

Ask yourself this question. Would you want to beat up, rape or murder a person in real life if you were doing said act in a video game? Normal and rational people would say no. IMO, people who would say yes, are not of sound reasonable mind. All recent acts were done by people who had mental issues.

9999
12/19/12 12:18 pm

Video games do not cause violence. Human choices do. Look at Japan. horribly violent video games spread all over every age and gender, and their biggest cities have lower rates of violence than all but the smallest American towns. Free will actually exists. People cause violence--not games.

HPNerd Hogwarts
12/19/12 2:26 am

The age filter is a real eye opener here. My mother never let us have guns in the house, even for costumes. It breeds violence.

BCKR Onward and upward
12/18/12 11:09 am

The answer to this is empirically "yes." Violent media don't make non-violent people more violent, but they do make violent people more likely to act on their violent thoughts and tendencies.

redrocker Idaho
12/17/12 12:56 pm

you may not think it affects you but it does affect many other people, many who don't think it affects them.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/16/12 8:30 pm

JackTorS, justification is not about convincing man, it's about aligning your actions with the will of God.

Palindrome, may I point out that that pawn makes it to the far edge of the board and is promoted?

palindrome California
12/16/12 7:56 pm

Too many holes in Doopy's argument. That's my problem with organized religion in a nutshell. The story of Job was the straw that broke the camel's back. Why would God need to prove a point to Satan and use an innocent, faithful man as the pawn? Idk .... questions questions

Theshamwowguy Pittsburgh, PA
12/16/12 7:48 pm

Video games dont cause kids to be violent, lag does.

kingpacman23 KCCO
12/16/12 6:01 pm

Just got done playing Grand Theft Auto and I have this strange feeling to go bang some prostitutes and shoot up a bank

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
12/16/12 12:58 pm

Hello: I don't know why you came at me. I don't believe for a second that a movie or video game would be the sole source of violent behavior...but the question specifically asks if they may "contribute," and whether you like it or not, the research indicates it does. I'm not debating, I'm informing.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
12/16/12 12:58 pm

cduttwolf New York
12/16/12 11:38 am

I think TV is a contributor, yes.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
12/16/12 11:30 am

Vertias - You know that reading that most prisons have Christians ministries in them & prisons are often encouraged to study the Bible, so many are converted AFTER incarceration.

themiz Illinois
12/16/12 9:40 am

did video games cause WWII, 9/11, the Holocaust......but the violence still occurred.... people have opposing viewpoints and will fight whether they have outside influences or not

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
12/16/12 9:19 am

depends on the person. No rational person is gonna walk into a building and murder numerous people.. not unless you're mentally ill.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
12/16/12 8:26 am

If you ever held a gun in your hands you know there's a difference between a controller and a gun. Once a gun is in your hands then you understand what's real and what's not.

pisomojado
12/16/12 7:37 am

game companies are responding to the market. That's what business does. If we didn't buy it they would stop making it. Nurturing parents who are willing to say no to their children are vital, as is parents modeling proper attitudes to their children about violence.

thathrlady
12/16/12 7:23 am

Yes, the possibility exist and more so if other elements exist like total non-involvement of parents from abuse to neglect.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
12/16/12 6:34 am

Wow, never seen a poll where Dems and Reps were pretty much equally in agreement and divided. Nice work.

Flooded Virginia
12/16/12 12:11 am

What about the media sensationalization of shootings? A person is already a bit off, but they think, "might as well kill some other people too, get my name on tv."
Instead reports should focus on the scenarios and the victims

cyanospool The Deep North
12/15/12 11:36 pm

Everything people are exposed to affects them in some way, but ultimately violent actions are a choice.

nightcrow Washington
12/15/12 11:10 pm

Of not watching what their kids watch.

nightcrow Washington
12/15/12 11:09 pm

How about responsible parenting? Why should I not have a violent game if I want to? It's not being selfish to as an adult I want to play or watch whatever I want... Parents need to limit what they deem inappropriate not the government with yet another law that takes our freedoms away for the sake..

belabour
12/15/12 11:05 pm

No it's the dumb people that play and watch the movies and games that do it. Don't blame an industry for something that people like. Peace would be boring violence isn't.

tabbser
12/15/12 10:15 pm

monkey see, monkey do.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 9:50 pm

That is a circular argument. Who's to determine wether God did or not? You? Me? Maybe according to his faith he is justified. Does that make it right?

BigBoss US
12/15/12 9:44 pm

Let me tell you all that violent games do not stimulate the need to kill you always have a motive or you kill because you think people's lives are not worth anything, you think terrorists play their video games and be like I'm going to kill someone and they will come back to life

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 9:36 pm

Claiming the justification "God told me to" only works if He really did.

Yes, we would call it assault nowadays, but that doesn't mean Abraham or God actually did anything wrong. Current trends are no criteria for evaluating morality.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 9:25 pm

The relevance is that you said God had no intention of having Moses kill Isaac. Moses did not know that. And what Moses did could today be called Assault, and assault with intent to murder. Like someone holding a gun to your head and not shooting.
I know, I know. God said it was Ok.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 9:18 pm

So every idiot claiming holy war is justified because they claim God told them to? The Salem Trials in the late 17th century were once justified as God's will and many people were put to death.
Who can claim God's word and who can't?
You talk to God. Would you kill if he asked you to?

mememms WI
12/15/12 9:12 pm

I play violent games and watch a lot of violent movies for years now. Nothing. It depends on the person.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 9:11 pm

I don't see how that's relevant...?

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 9:09 pm

be involved.
If you hold a gun up to someone's head and don't pull the trigger, you cannot claim it's 'Ok' because you never intended to shoot. You'll still get thrown in jail.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 9:05 pm

No, capital punishment is for those that have committed a capital crime and are no longer deemed worthy to live in society. A law created by a secular government. For man BY man.
Killing in self defense is just about as primal as you can get and intrinsically justified. Again religion needs not to

kingshark Northwest Arkansas
12/15/12 9:04 pm

There's plenty of evidence to support it. As well as refute it. The key is age and home life.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 9:03 pm

As far as God v.s. science, the two are not mutually exclusive. Where do our claims differ, so that I may evaluate competing evidentiary demands.

(Since I assume you do not mean science itself kills old men.)

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 9:00 pm

As far as God v.s. science, the two are not mutually exclusive. Where exactly does your claim differ from mine, so I can evaluate competing evidentiary demands.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 8:55 pm

Second, Abraham predates those commandments. The would not have been on his mind.
Thirdly, and I cannot over stress this, God did not allow Isaac to die. He was never in danger. God had never intended that Isaac should die. He was testing Abraham by asking him to sacrifice what was most dear to him.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 8:54 pm

Well, first of all it's more accurately "thou shalt not do murder". Murder is unjustified killing, and arguably if God demands it, it is justified. This is where the justification for capital punishment and self defense killings come from.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 8:51 pm

An old man passing in his sleep is the natural expiration of your life cycle. Everyone dies. You say it's God. I say it's science. Who has more evidence to back up their claim?

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 8:42 pm

Where is the logic in 'Thou shall not kill' when God asks you to perform murder?

Doopy Remedial Americanism
12/15/12 8:39 pm

JackTorS, again, Isaac lived. Abraham did not sacrifice him. God stopped him.

You're looking at comfortable life on earth as the goal, rather than eternity. God always chooses when you live and when you die. Are you going to accuse Him of murder every time an old man passes in his sleep?!

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 8:35 pm

convince you and you're not going to convince me.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
12/15/12 8:34 pm

No, Abraham would have been accused of murder. I guess you can book 'God' as an accessory if you believe the story.
No amount of compensation could ever justify the murder of your family and the suffering Job endured.
I guess we could go round and round on the subject, but I'm not going to