Show Of Hands March 21st, 2012 12:00am

If having security cameras on every street corner reduced public crime rates by 75%, would the sacrifice of privacy be worth it?

jakersw22 Michigan
04/03/12 5:30 pm

anything that reduces crime by 75% is worth it.

ntvtxn62
04/03/12 1:33 am

Sure it would! The only whiners are those doing something wrong! You want safety- deal with it! It's like the patriot act- I support that too!

dannymac New Hampshire
04/01/12 9:46 pm

Can I get a translator for edlafaytte?

03/31/12 10:14 am

I see no privacy concern.... it's in public. you're visible anyway.

edlafayett
03/30/12 7:55 pm

Safety forces by there nature are always reactive, there is no other choice. If they were proactive there would be no crime, no reason for and individual have to protect his her self. Police are there after the fact, not before.

Damien
03/29/12 10:53 pm

The government can barely run its own day to day business, nevermind some elaborate big brother spy games type camera and microphone system. Get a clue, people.

Damien
03/29/12 10:51 pm

I suppose all the idiots claiming cameras in public places would violate their privacy won't like to hear that their smartphones give out more info than any camera ever could, including a very accurate location.

dannymac New Hampshire
03/28/12 11:30 pm

@scotttots ... Georgia of all places to not be worried about crime.... Are you selling crack right outside your door bud ? The cops are definitely allowed to patrol and insure you're not up to no good.... I bet you're one of those criminals that thinks laws in movies are laws in reality.

dannymac New Hampshire
03/28/12 11:23 pm

I do love the anti bush comments too. I wonder if these retards knew democrats had the majority in the house :x .... I could teach you how our government runs but I'm sure you would rather let the media tell you :) <3. Ron Paul or gtfo... Obama has signed off on bombing in Pakistan. Kid killer..

dannymac New Hampshire
03/28/12 11:20 pm

You have a right to a reasonable amount of privacy. That means your home dumb dumb. You are supposed to be watched in public to insure no crimes are being committed. Why do you think those cruisers are always driving around? It's not always to get donuts... They're patrolling the public

dannymac New Hampshire
03/28/12 11:17 pm

Lol these people against cameras really think this is another bandwagon thing to protest. Zomg cameras in the public? Nazis!!! It's not your liberty to rape people in public... Yes police officers do look at/after everyone. So your point that we need to only be reactive and not proactive is dumb

kristenjo Montana
03/28/12 11:00 pm

As long as they stay in the street and out of my house :) And to anyone who says they wouldn't work: a) today's technology experts could easily come up with a camera that can see a block to the next corner, and b) would YOU commit a crime if you knew there were cameras on either side of you?

03/26/12 7:23 pm

that would cost aloft of money, and not all crimes are done on street corners

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/26/12 9:55 am

Ok. I guess the cameras wouldn't be of any use. But, when you go walk down the street one day and get beaten and robbed, don't look around to see if a camera saw it all, and certainly don't ask the police to review footage if one did; they won't help you anyway, right?

03/25/12 7:04 pm

the way I see it, if your out on public streets anyways, is it really a sacrifice of privacy?

RB3170
03/25/12 11:50 am

Cameras on the corner=great target practice for patriots

atheist12
03/24/12 9:04 pm

There everywhere now but it don't stop people I have one at my house like many other people the only good it really does is tell me who's at the door

veraqu Alaska
03/24/12 4:20 pm

Rate in England far surpasses the US's still in most every type if "street crime". The cameras have done little to help curb real crime and the gun control laws have removed all fear from the criminal element there. BF had it right: "He who would trade liberty for security deserve neither"

veraqu Alaska
03/24/12 4:17 pm

What things like this end up being used for is to curb unrest by hiding it. You may notice that England has no major protesting like the "occupy" groups in the US, because as the group leaders start to organize any kind of demonstration that is deemed overkill they see it instantly. And the crime..

veraqu Alaska
03/24/12 4:15 pm

@Jasher. You keep comparing this to cameras in stores. Stores are private property and those cameras are specifically for identifying people who break laws inside those stores. Cameras do nothing to prevent crime, speaking from a police dispatchers POV.

snafu Washington
03/24/12 1:20 am

Sure. I'd give up my privacy for public safety but it's obvious having cameras all over doesn't equal public safety, look at England their CCTV is a joke.

scottstots Georgia
03/23/12 5:49 pm

I guess we'd all be fine emptying our bags and having our wives dump their pocketbooks out on each corner because hey if you've got nothing to hide, who cares right? How about ankle bracelets for everyone or tracking chips implanted. It would be cheaper than cameras on every corner.

scottstots Georgia
03/23/12 5:47 pm

@JAsher you certainly do have a right to privacy in public places. I have a right to walk down the street and not be tracked or watched by the police. It's the job of the police to catch the criminals, not track each citizen. I guess you'd be ok with getting frisked on each street corner as well?

DanIndepen Ohio
03/23/12 2:43 pm

correct me if I am wrong here but isn't the key word public??? I mean how are you sacrificing privacy?!?

gramps
03/23/12 1:48 pm

I don't know about making the first 2 happy, but definitely Cheney and his puppet!

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/23/12 1:26 pm

Ahhhh.... A map to make Hitler, Stalin, and dubbya happy.

RandFan Headed to IPhone rehab
03/23/12 1:17 pm

It all depends as to what you call a crime. Traffic cams reduce "Traffic Crime". Now, if they could reduce violent crime by 75%, that'd be a different story.

gramps
03/23/12 11:56 am

we are our own worst enemy.

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 11:02 am

I don't think I want to be around when you people are exercising your "liberties" you think you're going to lose.

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 11:02 am

You don't feel like the police just arrest people for no reason, so they aren't going to be watching you for no reason. Also, these cameras would very likely not be allowed to be pointed onto private property, so take your cries of loss of liberty elsewhere...

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 10:59 am

Do you feel like you give up your liberties every time you go into a store, a mall, an amusement park, a parking lot? All of these places are generally full of cameras. And trust me, if someone attacked you or broke into your car in a parking lot, I guarantee you would want camera footage reviewed

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 10:56 am

This isn't just about terrorists, and probably really has little to with terrorism, but more to do with rape, shootings, robbery, assault, hit & run accidents, beatings, etc. of these are the "liberties" you goons think you're giving up, then you should be in jail.

chenzo13
03/23/12 10:09 am

@gunny, who is the enemy? how do we know who they are?

03/23/12 9:07 am

Cameras on every corner wouldn't reduce crime that much so this question is ridiculous. I am shocked at how many would give up liberty to have a false sense of security. People would still commit crimes and the innocent would also be tracked.. Sad state were in

03/23/12 8:51 am

We have been on this "I gotta give up liberty to be safe kick" since 9-11. What is wrong with just finding the ,enemy(and we know who they are) and destroying their ability to fight us? We are turning into a bunch of wimps. Keep your cameras if they make you feel warm & fuzzy at night.

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 8:38 am

And this wouldn't be trading any of your liberties for anything. The only "liberties" you would lose are not even liberties in the first place; you don't have the right to commit crime. So, if you're not commuting crime, then trust me, no-one cares to give any of you any special attention.

JAsher Fishers, IN
03/23/12 8:36 am

What does it matter if people's whereabouts are tracked? If you don't have anything to hide, then the world doesn't have time pay attention to your every move. On the other hand, if you do have something to hide, then you should be tracked. It's no different than cameras in stores.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/23/12 5:58 am

They caught a child murderer via a security camera.

BadBadger Georgia
03/23/12 4:35 am

gramps, don't you know it. A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves.

DCA
03/23/12 4:13 am

You do not have privacy on public streets anyway. People can take pictures ants film whatever they what on the streets anyway.

zello Pennsylvania
03/23/12 3:03 am

It's like having a kings special quard watch your every move. .....I thought we separated from England a while ago? Wasn't it official yet?

Colcat Kentucky
03/22/12 10:33 pm

Unreal people ,I'm at a total loss by the results ,those who trade liberty for security get nor deserve neither. This country is totally F*cked

BadBadger Georgia
03/22/12 9:07 pm

And I'm not paranoid. I'm just not stupid.

BadBadger Georgia
03/22/12 9:06 pm

Aside from my not believing crime would be reduced by 75%, I know that cameras will be used to track our whereabouts. Facial recognition is getting extremely sophisticated. If it can be done . . . it will.