Show Of Hands November 27th, 2011 12:00am

Higher priority: invest in more alternative energy for tomorrow, or drill for more domestic oil for today?

emily4444
12/08/11 8:03 pm

We can't just think of ourselves here, people!! Alternative energy would help future generations to be able to have energy sources to use.

12/08/11 3:46 pm

Peak oil is coming. We must invest in alternatives.

kuroyama1
12/05/11 9:51 am

we have enough oil reserves to last us a number of years on top of the oil we get from overseas. alternative energy would help us make that last.

rocky
12/04/11 6:35 pm

We need to get away from oil before we take it all out of the earth....it in the earth for a reason and taking it all out can't be good

spoiler Michigan
12/03/11 9:15 am

Great to see most of the country has wizened up. The whole "drill baby drill" argument is a dying philosophy

jwr053 Kentucky
12/02/11 12:19 am

If you aren't thinking alternative energy by now you aren't thinking or missed the bus!

12/01/11 9:40 am

Good on you Apollo! And just found out yesterday, what a coincidence lol, Brigham drilled a well in ND on acreage we own without full authorization - can't do that - I'll let you know if we pursue anything.

12/01/11 12:25 am

And I it is going well! Today especially! My top ones were DVR (volatile but it does pay off like it did today), HAL (out of nowhere), TPLM.

I'm learning lol. I bought AMR yesterday after the bankruptcy…up 23% :)

12/01/11 12:21 am

Another one is a study by OECD that showed the same results (hydro was not in that study :( ).

Hope you find this interesting! Good luck to you and your husband in whatever oil field your endeavors take you.

12/01/11 12:19 am

@Denver There have been a Myriad of studies. Consistently, hydro and nuclear rank highest, followed by nat gas and coal, and last is always wind and solar.

A good compilation (the one I cited) is entitled "Comparing Energy Costs of Nuclear, Coal, Gas, Wind, and Solar" at nuclearfissionary.com

11/30/11 8:10 am

K, back to apples & oranges IMO. But I'll keep on working, and you keep on investing in those outfits - glad they're working for you! Btw, what are your sources, I'll show them to my husband.

11/30/11 12:32 am

Sorry I meant nat gas and coal in my previous previous post. They are not the most effective. Nuclear and hydro are the best.

11/30/11 12:31 am

Oil? Who gets electricity from oil? Oil is not converted to electricity so it cannot be compared. There are mini explosions in the engine, no energy conversion. Alternative energy can only be bridged to card and trucks through hybrid and electric cars.

11/29/11 10:26 pm

You didn't have oil anywhere in your data. ?

11/29/11 10:14 pm

Obviously oil and coal are sky high in that regard. Wind is zero. Hydro-electric is zero. Solar is zero. Nuclear is very little.

11/29/11 10:13 pm

@Denver. Well electricity is the functional unit. That is the end product that every source is trying to create. Some do it more cost efficiently than others (cough*hydro-electric and nuclear*cough). As for the transportation, it is factored into production costs.

11/29/11 9:42 pm

And where does the cost of transportation come in to play in your numbers? Where is the estimated cost per mile, so to speak?

11/29/11 9:35 pm

Apollo, we're talking apples & oranges. Your data is talking about kilowatt hours - electricity. I'm talking about energy. You lose energy converting natural gas into electricity.

11/29/11 9:28 pm

Total costs from least to greatest per kWh: Hydro, Nuclear, Coal, Wind, Nat Gas, Solar.

They are not the most efficient, nor the most available, nor the cheapest.

11/29/11 9:24 pm

Construction Costs (relative to kWh) from cheapest to most expensive: hydro-electric, coal, nuclear, nat gas, wind, solar (by far).
Production Costs: Solar (zero), Hydro-electric, Nuclear, Wind, Coal, nat has (by far)
Decomposotion Costs: nuclear.

11/29/11 9:22 pm

@Denver with all due respect mam, that is very naive. The only reason oil and coal are the most prominent sources today is because the infrastructure was in place before that of alternatives. My proof:

11/29/11 7:32 pm

Even with the big subsidies, all alternatives combined can't break about 20% of our country's needs. It's easy & popular & fluffy IMO to say "Let's go for green energy" but as I said early on nobody's willing to pay the $$ price.

11/29/11 7:29 pm

None of the alternatives right now can compete without big governmental subsidies. Oil (& gas) runs our country because they're affordable. As long as that's true, we'll run on them. We'd be crazy not to!

11/29/11 6:45 pm

I don't hate oil and gas by any means. I love them for investing, but they have so many downsides it appalls me that we haven't abandoned oil years ago. People say we should drill at home to be free of foreign oil. Why not be free of oil period?

11/29/11 6:41 pm

@Denver. I was aware of their relationship with Enron. Bit thu must have some smart people working there to get a stake two of the not up and coming reserves. KOG is chasing in big on Bakken and so is their stock (which has a market cap of $2 billion Sí it must be some smart old western guys).

11/29/11 5:53 pm

We invest our own money in these wells, don't need to invest in somebody else's company thank God. Though sometimes it'd be nice to have someone else do the work, lol. If one more person says we're becoming a paperless society I'm going to tell them they need to look at my office!

11/29/11 5:50 pm

Apollo I checked out Kodiak - some old Western Gas guys are all I recognized, there you go. EOG is Enron, buddy - that's their surviving entity, they're okay. Samson's good, been around forever. Brigham's a new outfit, very active in ND, we're in a well with them up there. All say they're good.

11/29/11 5:34 pm

@Anarchy. What do you mean "other than nuclear or hydro-electric?" You can't just rule out viable alternatives to fit your point. That's like saying "Name one person, besides that Johnson child, I've killed." Wave energy, nuclear, hydro-electric, biomass, etc. all very viable.

11/29/11 5:30 pm

I really should take over the investment stuff from my dad. He had thousands of AMR stock…well they crashed 84% today :(
I would really suggest you buy some KOG (it's gone up 60% since I did :D) if you have any free capital. Investment is a little hobby of mine.
@Anarchy That's tragic.

11/29/11 5:27 pm

@Denver Both stocks I invested in and love. I can name a couple off the top of my head. EOG (I only know the stock symbol, Royale, Kodiak, Samsom, Brigham, etc. Another good one is the Eagle Ford Shale reserve that is a few thousand feet below my…feet. EOG has stake their, too.

11/29/11 12:23 pm

JoshD: knock it off...you're making too much sense.

EnginE3r Texas
11/29/11 10:11 am

Here's what we do, drill for the oil today, then we try to research for alternate energy so we can use that once the oil runs out

11/29/11 9:24 am

Mwest: "lots of viable alternatives" ...please name one other than nuclear or hydro-electric.

11/29/11 9:22 am

Apollo: I think you're missing my point.

11/29/11 9:08 am

Jopat - yes the Colorado play is huge too. We only operate two wells in CO (just live here lol), most of our production is in ND & WY. Anadarko and Encana are busy leasing up whatever they can get.

11/29/11 9:04 am

Yet, don't know who the players are. I'll look them up today. Don't know about ROYL either but I'll check. It sucks when prices are high because all of the yahoos come back in - bankers, money-raisers, etc. then prices will drop and just us oil & gas people remain. Makes me skeptical of newcomers.

11/29/11 9:01 am

Apollo, we're in probably fifteen Bakken or Three Forks wells ourselves, with a minuscule interest of course but after 25 years we've ended up with scattered acreage in ND ????. The small % let's us participate in these +-$8 million wells. Kodiak is a Denver outfit but I haven't run into them -cont'd

nrwnknght6
11/29/11 1:03 am

Quinn's law: most modern uses for the word "sustainable" or any variation of it is a way for a liberal to lie to you

mwest
11/29/11 12:50 am

also very uplifting to see younger folks getting it! it's the way of the future hop on or get out of the way

mwest
11/29/11 12:48 am

i lean right but this is one of the things I disagree with my party the most. they just don't get it.mi majored in sustainable business and minor in sustainability lots of viable alternatives

11/29/11 12:03 am

When you have to xray every pass on a weld, pay the welder for the full day and pay the inspector... It get ridiculous.

11/29/11 12:02 am

Nuclear... Nuff said... I will however state that out of all fuels nothing has higher energy density than fossil fuels, except nuclear reactions. And it isn't the nuclear plants that are expensive, it is all the nonsensical miles of red tape that costs money. Keep it safe, but it is taken too far

11/28/11 11:32 pm

DenverDm: Very glad to hear ND is doing so well. Wait until we have leadership that understands what you guys have. i also heard that Colorado has a huge oil shell field that has yet to be developed. Some say between the two more then the Saudis.....

11/28/11 11:05 pm

…coastline. That's just me, though. I have high hopes for it.
@Denver. Oh ya! The Bakken Shake reserve is HUGE. Any oil company that owns a part of that will go big time. One example is Kodiak Oil and Gas. ROYL is another one. ND will be prosperous for a while.

11/28/11 11:00 pm

@jopat. Good to hear. My favorite is still wave energy. Imagine that for a second. You have turbines in the Ayer that are turned by wave actions and refraction alone. No harm to wildlife as they move slowly and don't need pollutants. They are very efficient and relatively cheap. We have a huge…

Uni-cow Ohio
11/28/11 10:35 pm

One day it's going to happen, we're going to have so little oil that the only oil being used will be used on antique cars and other treasures that need oil. And our children are going to have to deal with the fact that they have barley any choices in picking a gas-less vehicle

11/28/11 10:34 pm

Thank you Jopat, there's so much new exploration & development going on now we call it the Wild West up in ND. ND has a 3.5% unemployment rate because of all of the oil & gas work going on - woot woot.

11/28/11 9:47 pm

For me its all about North American production like the Canadian oil pipeline, the refracture of oil sand etc there is just so much new technology that adds billions of gallons.