Show Of Hands January 10th, 2013 12:00am

Which do you typically use more often each day: email or a social network (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)?

tcat21
01/13/13 3:06 pm

Although I use Email every day, when I include games I'm on social networks more often

KatG Liberal in Ohio
01/12/13 12:29 am

Twitter! I don't follow anyone I know...just non famous everyday funny strangers. I love it. I killed my FB account a few months ago. The privacy issue was the main factor but the drama...omg the drama! I couldn't take it anymore. I don't miss it a bit.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 8:21 pm

<shrug> It's not like it took more than about 10 seconds. I *know* all of my FB friends & there aren't all that many; I just couldn't remember if any of them were "kids."

Justin-Hale The A
01/11/13 7:49 pm

I'm glad my comment made you take time out of your day to do that research...

kitten2cat Unknown
01/11/13 6:16 pm

I don't have any social network accounts anymore. They were a waste of my time.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 6:11 pm

You could be on twitter without anyone knowing who you are, too. Not saying you should, just that nothing personal shows to the public except the user name, not even email, unless you want it to. You can even have a private account so no one but people you invite can see what you post.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/11/13 5:50 pm

No Facebook, no twitter, no social sites that put my business out their. I know some of you might say why am I on this site then, well these are just polls and you do not know who I am or where I am at.

bigdog3210 Around
01/11/13 3:43 pm

I'm 18 and I don't even have a fb, twitter, ect. They are all pointless if you ask me.

TheRazzleDazz
01/11/13 2:54 pm

I just email everyone a lot when I havent seen them for a while

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/11/13 1:10 pm

I am entertained by the lunatics on Facebook..Especially on the political pages, geez I never realized people were that retarded lol

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/11/13 12:58 pm

My family communicates by Facebook since we are spread all over the country. We even have a private group for extended family members to share news and photos with only the family.

arborfamilia on top of the hill
01/11/13 12:57 pm

Was this question only supposed to apply to keeping up with social interactions? I have a job: I send/receive hundreds of emails a day. That pretty much trumps the 20 minutes I spend on Facebook.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
01/11/13 9:45 am

I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other of the crazy social media sites people are going nuts over. I mean, no knock to those who have it. Call me senile, but I don't care about what someone is doing or what they ate for breakfast. I have my own life to focus on.

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 9:42 am

I hate facebook.

gtgconfused
01/11/13 9:34 am

I only use Facebook to keep updated on friends' happenings and family pix. Got tired of garbage comments and profanity.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 9:16 am

Maybe, but there sure a a lot of older people there too. I just looked - none of my FB friends is younger than 45 (my daughter's age) and most are in their 50s & 60s. Three are in their 70s. I think FB is similar to Twitter in that what you get out of it depends almost entirely on how you use it.

Justin-Hale The A
01/11/13 9:03 am

Facebook is for kids...

godcyanide Probably gone for good
01/11/13 7:52 am

Social networks have taught me that people suck, and hard. Unfortunately, I also learned that some people I used to be close with secretly sucked. Honestly, communicating with "average people" makes me not want to speak to anyone.

gonzoboy Arizona
01/11/13 4:40 am

I'm glad for this! Thank you for sharing, @squib!
Happy Friday to you and family! :D

squib Northern New England
01/11/13 4:25 am

They did. :-) So I am a bit protective of LinkedIn because of it. The offer he took was because of both his LinkedIn profile and the fact the person hiring had been to several of my husbands lectures on software engineering. So it was from both in person interaction and LinkedIn.

gonzoboy Arizona
01/11/13 4:15 am

@squib, I don't doubt for a moment this and similar sites have their redeeming values, and I'm really glad your husband/family received benefit. Though I was being a bit glib, I do agree with @Lmurders thought about ACTUAL P2P networking. I hope those offers turn into something great! :)

centexken Republic of Texas
01/11/13 3:07 am

I chat with friends on FB so I use it more.

praetorianus65
01/11/13 1:05 am

I first check my email to see what happened on facebook and twitter :)

susanr Colorado
01/10/13 10:09 pm

Why *bother* working scientists? What do you mean by that?

HorseHead
01/10/13 10:06 pm

Probably the most interesting results I've seen in SOH.

winterlight NoFo, MN
01/10/13 10:05 pm

My college RUNS on emails. Weekdays I can expect at least 20 from different groups, classes, an general lists. Facebook I use to keep in touch with real people.

Quinnipiac Here
01/10/13 10:02 pm

not working... mmm... so why bother working scientists?

Leandra
01/10/13 9:04 pm

I check my email(s) multiple times a day and only check Facebook MAYBE once every two weeks. But I rarely SEND an email.

potatoes
01/10/13 8:34 pm

I hate Facebook...and twitter...and whatever other ones may have popped up...

elleck SOH Fan Club
01/10/13 7:47 pm

If SOH is considered a social network, then social network. Lol

happylife
01/10/13 7:15 pm

I am young and have zero interest in social networking- no fb, no twitter, no texting--- just do not care

Scoutless
01/10/13 7:03 pm

Im on Tumblr all the time! I don't use Twitter that much and I hate Facebook. I check my email periodically, but not as much as I check my Tumblr.

susanr Colorado
01/10/13 6:28 pm

Facebook for keeping up more extensively with actual friends (I don't "friend" people on FB if I don't know them in person, or extensively online), altho FB quirks drive me crazy. I write less than an email a day, now that I'm not working.

susanr Colorado
01/10/13 6:26 pm

Twitter for networking with scientists & catching the coolest science news, for learning from tech people, for keeping up with politics & general news - it's the best source for breaking news I know (with a big caveat), for keeping up with friends & family, for fun & for a dozen other solid reasons.

susanr Colorado
01/10/13 6:22 pm

RJ, Twitter is exactly whatever you make if it. If you follow only people who tweet about stupid things, it'll be stupid. I use it for a bunch of different reasons & find it extremely valuable.

Diogenes SOLVE COAGULA
01/10/13 6:11 pm

I don't social network. I cherish my privacy...

or what's left, anyway!????

joshgoinham Birmingham, Alabama
01/10/13 6:00 pm

On Instagram straight FLEXIN

jimmyjelly BFE, PA
01/10/13 5:48 pm

Email all day at work.
Only social network is Soh.

DakotaJames seattle
01/10/13 4:48 pm

I don't see it as a social network because we don't have profiles with our information and pictures. Commenting on each others comments give it a social aspect but I wouldn't call it a social network.