Show Of Hands January 10th, 2013 12:00am

As a student, did you ever skip school without your parents' knowledge?

emily4444
01/15/13 8:34 pm

I tell you honestly that I am 14 and love school with all my heart. I would be crushed if my school closed.

Coke
01/15/13 3:18 pm

It was a lot easier to skip 20 years ago.

burbz8
01/13/13 10:55 pm

Parents don't need to know

CajuNatoR Louisiana
01/13/13 4:03 pm

We cant now
Because the call my parents if i am absent...
School has changed..

RayX quit
01/13/13 3:25 pm

Once I was sick and my mother wrote me an excuse.

I had my girlfriend rewrite it because they only had her handwriting in my file.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
01/13/13 1:29 am

I graduated in 2011. The doors were locked, alarmed, and security cameras were everywhere. And I can't drive so I couldn't not show up when my mom dropped me off. Private school. They required a call from a parent that morning and a note the day you return.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
01/13/13 1:26 am

Never had to/had any way of doing so. I told my mom when I skipped a class. (Which I was suspended for but my acting skills got me out of it and off my record.) I missed so much for my health, I only skipped for anxiety. My family covered for me and I'd relax at home.

Ikillgiants California
01/12/13 11:08 am

I've skipped a few classes but never a whole day.

bluebell Ohio
01/12/13 3:21 am

I accidentally set my alarm wrong once in high school and slept til 12. By then my classes were almost over. I felt awful and told my parents, though, so no. Was funny... For some reason the first thing I thought to do was call my dad at work and apologize. He laughed at me.

KatG Liberal in Ohio
01/12/13 12:32 am

I tried once. I skipped last period English class to ride around in a car with a friend. About 10 min in, I started feeling guilty and panicked. Made him take me back then I lied to my teacher. Told him I couldn't get into my locker...lol. That was my only attempt. I'm a nerd.

kimonogirl
01/11/13 11:09 pm

Skipped so much of my senior year that if I'd missed one more day they wouldn't have let me graduate. Went to school in NJ.

jeffro02
01/11/13 9:59 pm

*wouldn't get their diploma.

jeffro02
01/11/13 9:59 pm

We definitely did not have anything like that. The closest we had was senior skip day, but after a couple years our school claimed anyone who skipped school that day would get their diploma. Sort of nipped that experiment in the bud.

jeffro02
01/11/13 9:57 pm

Very strange and unexpected east-west dichotomy.

HGolightly California
01/11/13 9:37 pm

WTF?!?! Only people in the West skipped school??? We called it "Ditch Day" and it was often ... LOL!

saffi
01/11/13 5:53 pm

Those results are wild. Different than any results I have seen before in this app.

vbranger Hillary for Prison
01/11/13 5:53 pm

I don't think everyone is answering this question honestly. LoL!

captnate
01/11/13 3:50 pm

And college was sometimes interrupted by classes, but only a few times a week, and only in the afternoon. A pretty enjoyable 5 1/2 yrs overall.

Never missed a day of work in the 10 yrs since however... Still have fun but schedule it better, or at all really, at this point.

captnate
01/11/13 3:42 pm

Went to Catholic HS. Used cigarette ash to make the crosses on our foreheads when we skipped Ash Wednesday mass and some classes so we wouldn't stand out. Did it 2 or 3 years. Other days generally required less track covering.

ndkdjsbxodndn
01/11/13 2:59 pm

I used to NEVER stay home, even if I was sick. Once I realized the world will go on if I'm not there, I started actually staying home when I wasn't feeling well. My grades are actually way better now, even though I'm in 4 APs. Mental health days are really useful too ;)

a5hlie Phoenix
01/11/13 1:58 pm

nice job west side haha got to live a little!

Capitalism
01/11/13 12:41 pm

Lol'd at the west cost.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
01/11/13 10:10 am

I did in high school. I was such a bad kid. I regret it. Now here it is, years later and I'm JUST now trying to do right and get a degree. I would laugh when adults would tell me to stay in school, but kids, stay in school and further your education. It's really worth it.

Jayseph Wasatch Front
01/11/13 7:04 am

Atta boy west side, way to represent.

gtgconfused
01/11/13 5:41 am

I actually showed up on Senior-cut day. Thought it was a joke

dflem Arizona
01/11/13 4:20 am

Yup...senior year was a joke for me. 6 study halls, gym and 2 electives. Did 2 college classes through a early start program our school did with the college for half my senior year though

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 3:48 am

Nick, I don't call people names here (but if you see me doing that please let me know) and I don't think of you the way you mentioned. But I AM done with talking about that subject.

mjp503 Seattle
01/11/13 3:46 am

The We$t is badass

peacefullife Land of Moss
01/11/13 3:46 am

I left every day at lunch when it was against the rules... Got caught once, the principal asked for my dad's #, so I gave him my friend's. my friend told him, 'my daughter has a better sense of right and wrong than you, she can do what she wants.' LOL

peacefullife Land of Moss
01/11/13 3:39 am

I used to ditch with a teacher's kid... Somehow she was either never found out or her dad didn't care...

peacefullife Land of Moss
01/11/13 3:35 am

I'm curious of the breakdown of ages in the 'under 21' group. Under 12, 12-15, 16-18, 19-21. Almost all my ditching was 16-18... MAYBE once or twice 12-15...

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 2:13 am

One more question. I understand that you think im a thieving, free loading sonofabitch, but what do you think of the uploaders, the people who have bought the material, and are now sharing it with the public for free?

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:56 am

I will not disagree with you one bit about the need for revision (although we'd probably disagree about exactly what needs to be done). Including the
mess that is ebooks publication, library usage of ebooks, ability to share & sell your copy, etc.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:53 am

Nick, I'm done saying anything about the subject if piracy. I just don't like being told WHAT I think and WHY I think it, when it isn't true. People (not just you by ANY means) are so free with that kind of accusation around here, and frankly it just stinks.

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 1:50 am

This is why our copyright laws need revision.

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 1:49 am

because its not. I would not steal a car, because it belongs to someone. I would not steal a handbag, because it belongs to someone. I would not steal a television, because it belongs to someone. I would pirate a movie because the person who owns it, decided to share it.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:48 am

Thank you very much, ledfarmer. I appreciate that. I really don't have much of a problem with differing opinions. What gets me riled up is people making assumptions, calling people nasty names, and calling people liars when they really don't know. (Not saying Nick has done all of that!)

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 1:46 am

For friends to download, or otherwise. Why do you think piratebay is still operational? because 1: no copyrighted material is actually hosted on their servers, and 2: they are located in sweden (country with lax copyright laws). Do not tell me anymore that piracy is the same as stealing a car,

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:44 am

PLEASE read it, Nick. And then never again give me a hard time about capitalist propaganda. PLEASE.

ledfarmer in the mountains
01/11/13 1:43 am

@susan While I disagree that internet piracy is stealing, I definitely respect your opinion. It's good to know where someone is coming from when they have a different perspective than you. Thanks for sharing.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:43 am

"going" should be "giving" in the 4th message of the above rant.

satiricalnick meh
01/11/13 1:42 am

Im going to be honest with you, didnt read what you just typed because i know it has one central argument: stealing. I have a new argument for you though. I countries like norway, when you buy something, you can do whatever you damn well please with it. Whether that be uploading it for friends

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:38 am

...Whether you ever come to agree with that or not (and I don't expect you to, or really care if you do or not), please don't EVER try to tell me again that I'm just blindly following what capitalist pigs want me to think. That couldn't possibly be farther from the truth of my life.

susanr Colorado
01/11/13 1:35 am

...money, I've never EVER taken something that didn't belong to me, unless it was offered freely to me, or I paid for it. Because that's wrong, it's stealing. The only difference is that no one can see you doing it, so you can get away with it easily AND tell yourself it isn't really stealing...