Show Of Hands January 8th, 2013 12:00am

Would it bother you if your significant other still traded occasional emails with his/her ex?

LaraAshton
01/15/13 5:53 pm

An ex should stay in the past. There's a reason why it ended.

moderndoubt
01/13/13 10:01 pm

I can speak from being a women. The ex b/f stays around as a potential booty call for the ladies as well. So it balances.

lebneniye85
01/13/13 5:41 pm

My husband is friends on Facebook with his ex and it makes no difference to me. At the end of the day he married me and come home to me everyday.

GraysMom
01/13/13 11:51 am

If they had any kids together it would be different. But it would make me mad of my Husband talked to his x wife.

ServingGod
01/12/13 7:16 pm

I wouldn't marry my wife if she couldn't cut ties with her ex. However, my wife has a daughter with her ex-husband so that requires an occasional email that she copies me on. She does this, not because I ask her to, but because she never wants me to ever have a doubt.

joiedevivre
01/12/13 10:12 am

Knowing my other half yes, otherwise no.

ndkdjsbxodndn
01/11/13 3:01 pm

I would only deal with ex-ex communications if there are kids. No other exceptions.

bruhman
01/10/13 5:57 pm

I agree. But some women are naive and believe he truly just wants to be friends.

farout10
01/10/13 5:38 pm

I'd like to add.. The women know this! They wanna act all innocent, like all they're doing is talking, but they are keeping a back up as well! Best believe!

UGonnaEatThat
01/10/13 1:43 pm

My wife still keeps in contact with her ex. Actually he's a good friend to both of us. His wife, however, hates it that they still keep contact.

bruhman
01/10/13 10:48 am

All it'll take is for the couple to get into an argument and the ex will be there to con her into thinking the bf is no good. He won't be there in a positive way for her, only in a way that benefits himself. I've seen it many times. Not only happened to me but friends also. He's a predator. Women 2

jlh1014
01/10/13 10:11 am

Cut.the.cord. It's ok to have a mutual understanding that there remains civility between the two. But communication should be minimal. There's a reason he/she is an "ex."

bruhman
01/10/13 9:47 am

I can only speak from a man's point of view, but here's my take:
Ladies you may think its innocent to keep in touch with your ex. You may only think of him as a friend and nothing more. Your ex boyfriend, however, sees you as a potential booty call. If you're in another relationship break ties w ex

GrandmaALiCE
01/10/13 6:49 am

Southern, texting would be no different.

peacenskis Alaska
01/10/13 1:33 am

No. He does. They have a teenage son together.

emsies Seattle
01/09/13 10:12 pm

I wouldn't mind at all. I would think that it's a good thing that they're still friends and that it's not too awkward between them.

SouthernG Man Cave
01/09/13 9:32 pm

Any different than say texting, on occasion, a co-worker of the opposite sex? How would you feel then?

SouthernG Man Cave
01/09/13 9:30 pm

After 25 years, I'm past that stage

Wert A picture of my junk
01/09/13 9:11 pm

We both do and are actually good mutual friends with a number of our exes.

barbar
01/09/13 8:54 pm

It would depend on the context of the emails. Also they are an ex for a reason what is so important to email

waytogo
01/09/13 7:18 pm

@bev well said! Really well said!!!

farout10
01/09/13 7:02 pm

The more you keep in touch the more the chance of it becoming more than platonic. If there is no contact there's no chance of it becoming more..

shwarzseekuh
01/09/13 6:48 pm

It would not bother me at all. But if it got to a point where they started threatening, it would.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/09/13 6:34 pm

She does. And no, it doesn't.

tenletters New York
01/09/13 5:58 pm

Despite popular belief, it is possible to be friends with an ex. Of course, it isn't always, but if the relationship is platonic then I can't see the problem with keeping in touch.

GrandmaALiCE
01/09/13 5:45 pm

Waytogo, you are right. IF your spouse/SO objects, you should stop. But, that wasn't the question. The question was, would it bother me? And, I can honestly say no.

If you read the comments, not one person has said, he or she would continue this communication over the partner's objections.

vbelding
01/09/13 5:42 pm

Amen!!! Someone with some sense

vbelding
01/09/13 5:40 pm

Wooooow is it really so bad to simply care/have slight interest in the well being of a person you were in love with at one time? I don't burn bridges and everyone I've ever been with has made me the woman I am today. Nothing harmful about an occasional email.

waytogo
01/09/13 5:16 pm

@whoami but if your SO has issue with continuing communication with a past relationship it is disrespectful to continue. The past relationship ended and a new relationship began and that is what needs to prevail. I say this with almost 50 years of wonderful marriage behind me.

GrandmaALiCE
01/09/13 4:56 pm

Waytogo, it's not disrespect, if (1) your significant knows all about the friendship and is ok with it and (2) it really is just a platonic friendship.

I don't find those assumptions very far-fetched. I speak as a woman who has been happily married for 49 years.

hoosierwisdom inner voice
01/09/13 3:45 pm

I watched the Maury Show today. My advice would be a big NO! (Cuz you're NOT the father!)

waytogo
01/09/13 2:56 pm

It's also amazing how many people don't respect their significant other.

waytogo
01/09/13 2:26 pm

And yet another reason not to stick ones nose where it doesn't belong.

jclark21s
01/09/13 2:20 pm

Not to crazy about it but its when they start to hangout that im not ok with. It depends how long of a relationship it was and how serious.

fxdwg
01/09/13 2:07 pm

@waytogo it also shows the overzealous and insecurity some people have in said relationship. When they call and threaten to kill over said relationships without being truly threatened first. Warning signs of said relationship in my book.

christine1986
01/09/13 1:58 pm

I'm sorry that happened to you. Your better off I'm sure.

waytogo
01/09/13 1:58 pm

@fx perhaps but it just underlines the seriousness that some people place on their relationship and the restraint and sensitivity outsiders need to have when interacting past a certain point.

readhp1008 Hogwarts
01/09/13 1:51 pm

It's interesting how many people don't trust their "significant other"

heyyjude NC
01/09/13 1:49 pm

No because she still wants the d

farout10
01/09/13 1:33 pm

I was fine with it until he ended up sleeping with her.. I took him back 6 months later on the promise that he would have no relationship with her anymore. He broke that promise. We broke up because of it..I see no need to stay in touch with exes.

fxdwg
01/09/13 1:16 pm

@ waytogo I agree with you there. but that is not what this person said in their comment. It just said that the boyfriend called and asked where they lived so he could kill them. That is a bit over the top no matter what the situation was.

waytogo
01/09/13 1:04 pm

A relationship is a partnership between TWO people. As soon as one of them lets you know your involvement is no longer welcome then its wise to step aside. If you decide to roll the dice you should be ready for consequences.

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/09/13 12:56 pm

and besides most of my exes were serious douchebags..

ladyniner81 Embrace your inner dork
01/09/13 12:54 pm

What significant other??

brinrawson Knoxville and DC
01/09/13 12:46 pm

If they are hiding it and occasional is more than occasional, I would be mad. If it was not hidden and was just friendly and occasionally, alright. But if either was even slightly flirting, no way.

hazhap1 Las Vegas
01/09/13 12:32 pm

I would be a lot more worried if I ended up with someone who was easily able to completely write off and ignore people who were once a major part of their lives.

GrandmaALiCE
01/09/13 12:26 pm

The question was about an occasional email, not about getting together in a hotel room. Honestly, if you still like an ex as a friend, I don't see it as a moral problem.