Show Of Hands January 12th, 2012 12:00am

Will Mitt Romney's track record as a businessman hurt or help his election chances if he emerges as the Republican nominee?

01/20/12 3:25 pm

@RJ1969 the individual mandate thought up by the Heritage Foundation was in order to combat Hillarycare, which was going to expand federal Health Insurance coverage. It was to combat coercion with less coercion, which forces people to buy private insurance, not subsidies or get near free coverage.

01/20/12 3:22 pm

Yes we need a Washington outsider, not a Saul Alinsky radical who wants to "fundamentally transform America" into a top-down technocratic state. Which is full of job-killing, wage decreasing, price increasing, regulations.

01/15/12 2:51 am

All this from the same people who were exhorting Americans to "Support the President" for no other reason than because he was the President 6 Years ago. In short - stuff it

01/15/12 2:51 am

@BlackRepub - go spend your arrogance and condescension elsewhere please. The "Party of Lincoln" and its chosen leaders have dedicated far more time and effort trying to obstruct the President and obfuscate the issues than actually get anything done.

01/14/12 10:26 pm

Silly democrats. Remember the worst businessmen make the best republicans! ;-D

Perot4Prez
01/14/12 9:08 pm

@blackRepub: Liberals don't care about accomplishments. They hold intentions in higher regard. That is why you have to let 'em win occasionally so that people can see their ideas fail and then pray the next administration can fix it.

01/14/12 4:01 pm

Mailman, obama has no experience at all!! Inside or outside!!
Nada!
Zero!!
Zilch!!!

01/14/12 4:00 pm

Enuf, Republicans look at history and accomplishments. Something liberals should try to do rather than vote style over substance.
This isn't American Idol after all even though you "intellectuals" think it is!

OBVIOUSTUFF Outside
01/14/12 1:57 pm

One of the things they were yelling at Obama was that he had no job experience outside of government.

01/14/12 12:31 pm

FlaPilot why not? That is what the Republicans do :)

CommonCent
01/14/12 9:52 am

Yeah liberals, let's not have someone successful as our President! Let's do like last time and hire someone with absolutely no experience. Look how well that's worked out.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 10:01 pm

P4P....I'm going out on a limb. I'm thinking....it the same person I voted for. no, wait. the same person I contributed to his campaign.....I think we have something in common.

Perot4Prez
01/13/12 9:40 pm

@RJ1969: I will give you three guess who I voted for President in 1996. Hints: It wasn't Bill Clinton and it wasn't Bob Dole.

Perot4Prez
01/13/12 9:36 pm

@RJ1969: First and foremost, I am an Independent. I do not care who thought it up first. Republicans proposing it doesn't make it any less foolish.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 9:29 pm

Obamacre is a republican invention. you know that, right? right? right? p,ease tell me you know that this was a republican invention.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 9:28 pm

health care. WOW! the repubs were OK with Bob Dole's plan...which is "Obamacare"

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 9:27 pm

I didn't realize you were such a constitutional scholar as far as appointments. it's amazing. only one network has made an issue out of this. huh. let's see what the SC says. I'm sure you will adjust you position accordingly.

Perot4Prez
01/13/12 9:24 pm

@RJ1969: Recess appointments when the Senate isn't really in recess and a gov't mandate to purchase health care insurance.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 9:15 pm

what do you mean, specifically?

Perot4Prez
01/13/12 9:03 pm

@RJ1969: The thing that makes me scratch my head is how Barack Obama was a Constitutional law professor and doesn't seem to know the Constitution.

01/13/12 8:24 pm

I think many republicans are registered as independents in this app. there is no way a majority of indep. fancy romney's business record.

Nerdz Texas
01/13/12 5:49 pm

I don't see how that hurts him

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 3:59 pm

we should just elect actors....like Ronald Reagan. They make great leaders. based on their previous work.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 3:58 pm

But how many years has Romney been out of the business field again?

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 3:57 pm

he didn't go from his community organizing (80's) straight to president.

RJ1969 SoCal
01/13/12 3:57 pm

Danno, btw, he's been POTUS for over 3years now, and don't forget about being in the US senate, as well as State senate, and 12 years as a law professor.

adog
01/13/12 2:04 pm

business is business some people don't know when to just say, hey whatever he needed to feed his family and he did, I applaud Mr. Romney

nonono
01/13/12 4:00 am

It's not the fact that he was a businessman, but rather the type of businessman he was that will hurt him. He didn't create any products, he took other business apart and fired their workers.

danno9
01/12/12 11:13 pm

We know community organizer doesn't work. Lets try a businessman.

01/12/12 10:36 pm

@Demosthene - my comments were more of a generalized expression of my perception of "businessmen" than a directed shot at Mr. Romney. That being said, I know of no example of his behaving differently ... but I could be wrong.

Demosthenes New York
01/12/12 10:13 pm

Where do you see evidence that Mitt's policies or ideas would solely promote "big business" at the expense of the rest of the country? That idea is counterintuitive. In order for larger corporations to grow and succeed, you need the economy to be growing as well. Small business is included in that.

01/12/12 8:38 pm

Sure he might grow big business, but at the expense of small business, private citizens, pretty much every support service (not just social services) & most likely by moving everything to China. If you think the economy is bad for the little guy now - go ahead & fill the place with businessmen.

01/12/12 8:32 pm

SherriffCar - your logic is faulty, what you want is an economist. Businessmen are focussed on making a profit to the benefit of themselves & investors by minimizing overhead & charging the customers as much as they can get away with. In a national scenario, we the people are the customers.

ncbuc Get Over It
01/12/12 7:55 pm

I'd you think Romney gives two sh@@s about small business. Please don't vote. He is not one of the richest politicians in the country because he cares about joe's plumbing. I hope he doesn't get the nomination although I fear he will.

01/12/12 7:10 pm

It can only help. People want someone who knows business. Who better to help small businesses grow the economy and hire?
Some People nowadays think that making money is a bad thing. Those people are just stupid.

01/12/12 6:41 pm

or maybe Granny Wetherwax ... <ponder>

FMB Illinois
01/12/12 6:35 pm

Hurt or Help him with respect to whom?

GunnyGunz Virginia
01/12/12 6:34 pm

@enuf, change oval office to rats chamber?

01/12/12 6:29 pm

oh and Mitt - does not strike me as very honest.

01/12/12 6:26 pm

Obama is ineffectual, Gingrinch is a polarizer, Santorum is too religious, Perry is a non-starter, Huntsman also struggling, Ron Paul talks a good line but takes it to extremes and is too corporate for me. I am seriously considering writing in Havelock Vetinari.

01/12/12 6:21 pm

Ron Paul is too extreme to me.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/12/12 6:17 pm

Help, but his flip-flopping will hurt. Ron Paul is the best candidate hands down! Ron Paul 2012!!!

MrMilkdud
01/12/12 5:55 pm

????that's every politician!

notused1 Louisiana
01/12/12 5:41 pm

Mitt is a complete fake, he'll say anything to get a vote. They why he's not governor in here in Massachusetts anymore.

01/12/12 5:33 pm

@mcluke and congress can over-ride the veto. ultimate power is with congress.
But I am not going to get into a pissing match over this with you - been there, done that and it just gives me a headache :)

01/12/12 4:38 pm

True I hate sounding like those idiots from the news but only Ron Paul can beat Obama. If Ron Paul isn't the runner obama would problemly win since everyone besides mitt Romney people wouldn't vote for him.